Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectI really don't know what you tryin to say there
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=48204&mesg_id=48231
48231, I really don't know what you tryin to say there
Posted by Brew, Thu Jun-17-10 11:50 AM
but I just think you're taking this shit way too personally. I assume that based on how intelligent he is and how complicated a mind he seems to have, that he makes his career decisions based on a NUMBER of factors, not just "oh this'll make me mad more money". I'm sure a lot of thoughts and concerns come into play before he makes a decision to do a commercial, a movie, work with another hip hop name, whatever.

I don't get how working with Pharell or Kanye makes him a sellout anyway. They are both highly respected hip hop producers, both in the streets and in the mainstream. He and Kanye have made some great music together, he and Pharell have certainly fallen short but that doesn't mean he "sold out" (again I hate that fucking old ass term) by working with them. It was a career decision that was probly based on a number of factors. If dood was selling out by working with Pharell, why was he selling UMC for $1 when he first released it? He thought it was good music, and he wanted to give the fans something new. It wasn't good music, now we gotta move forward. Hopefully his next album will be better.

Am I disappointed in the direction his hip hop career has taken? Definitely. The man was near flawless through 2006 musically, his last 2 albums didn't live up to his skill as an artist. He was my favorite MC and artist through 2006. Now, I ain't really interested in his movies, and am not bothered by his commercials. But his first 14 years in the game is enough for me to say "fuck it, make your money son" and keep it moving. You need to relax about it is all.