Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectWHOA! Well with that said I have a few words to say....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=47559&mesg_id=47666
47666, WHOA! Well with that said I have a few words to say....
Posted by tonywashington, Sat Sep-08-07 07:05 AM
Thank you Hub for the years and years of good music.

The first song that I ever heard from the Roots crew was... "I shall proceed and continue to rock the MIC."

It was 1994 and the Roots were featured on the "Red Hot & Cool" CD to fight AIDS. Roy Ayers was a guest on the track Proceed with you all. Honestly, me being a jazz head at the time, I still am, that is what put my cousin and I onto the Roots, the connection with Roy Ayers. BUT what REALLY made my cousin and I fans was the bass, your bass. My cousin and I were and still are both big fans of the bass.

Quick back story...
This cat called me over his house, put the "Red Hot & Cool" CD in the stereo and hit play. Then this fool just sat down. I'm was sitting there wondering what CD dude put in the player. As the song begin to play I started to boob my head a bit. But when that bass line came in...MAAAAANNNNNNN! That was it. I was hooked. At that time I had no clue who the Roots were. Ever since then I have been a fan. All because of that funky ass bass line that you dropped on Proceed.

This all lead to my first Roots Crew show. It was the Fugees, Goodie Mob, and The Roots at Michaels 8th Avenue in Glen Burnie, MD back in 1994.

Hub, thank you for your years of dedication to the music we all love. It is very much appreciated. It is only right that you go silently. The same way you have held it down for years.