Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: if your talking to me
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=46662&mesg_id=46745
46745, RE: if your talking to me
Posted by upUPNorth, Sat Apr-19-08 09:08 PM
>i don't think they owe me anything.
>
>i'm just annoyed at the whole situation that they might not be
>taking advantage of everything they can for their own benefit.
>i wanna see them succeed. i don't doubt that they've probably
>been screwed by the label as well making things harder.

i just find it ironic that okayplayer has still found problems with an album that quest has pointed out before is for us, and our problems arent even music related anymore. ud think folks on here wnated the roots to make a bunch of birthday girls instead, and then theyd just hate on the music. and hell i really like the song so if they went all out on some commercial shit and blew i wouldnt be mad at all, and if okps on here take it personally that the roots "stopped caring" about them, they should stop taking themselves so seriously. i mean i doubt okp was responsible for even half of gt's sales, and in that case youd have to wonder how they ever got to 900K with TFA if we mattered that much. and i wish i had casual friends like u, none of mine would ever buy an album.

>i think its just a bad move when people here are obviously
>only frustrated b/c they don't think they're going to be able
>to take full advantage of this album and then to have the
>finger pointed at you like its your fault if the album doesn't
>sell when it sounds like they are talking to the very people
>that help keep them going.

i think fans are taking too much offense to this talk, and dont seem to realize the context its in on a internet message board. if you dont think they are completely justified, and couldn't reasonably prove, that most of okayplayer dont support them like that anymore and havent copped albums since TFA, i think ur kinda delusional and are projecting your fandom (Natural Mystic's, handle's, HV etc.) on everyone elses, and if youve copped all the albums and take pride in that then so be it, they werent talking about you.

>if the roots could afford to make a good album without a major
>label i'd rather see that. then maybe they could get similar
>sales and actually make some money.

hell im sure they would love to be able to do this. but the problem is, i think most people like to associate this option with radiohead, when really the roots would probably be more in line with how trent reznor's and saul williams went indie, and i dont think they ever recovered costs. i really dont think it would be wise for quest to play around with the possibility of recovering his costs lol. and none of them really tour like the roots, or are associated with such a large group and other artists. and this website would probably get nixed, so that probably wouldnt be good for us either.

>or maybe get on a major that promotes them. but i doubt that
>will happen either. that only happened one time from what i
>remember.