Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: but the anger on our end is from yall playing judge and jury
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=46662&mesg_id=46732
46732, RE: but the anger on our end is from yall playing judge and jury
Posted by handle, Thu Apr-17-08 04:58 PM
>without all the facts.
>
Welcome to the Internet :) Hell, welcome to America. And welcome to the power of people who think they *know* what's going on with your career- because you do share so much of it on this site.

I'm not sure what to think sometimes. Birthday Girl threw me a bit (I liked it, but it didn't seem like a song on the next Roots album I had in *my head*) so I sent the link to a friend who's girl doesn't like rap and asked their opinion. They liked it.

I'm still not 100% certain about Masters of War in concert, but man do the people in the crowd who I wouldn't automatically identify as hard-core Roots fans *LOVE IT* (UCSD sure did.) And I know people who have no idea who The Roots are but will react when The Seed is played on our "alternative" (to what?) station in town (91x, as heard of in The Voices of Modern industry.)

Hell, *I'm* still not sure about the focus on the guitar that has happened since Phrenology (,and I miss the Rhodes being played on almost every song live,) but I can see how its a choice that The Roots Crew has made.

But the choices I *would* make if I was in the group, or if I was an industry insider, would be completely different. *I* saw the VH1 Hip Hop honors tour where The Roots were the band as FAR superior to any previous or any since - but VH1 didn't seem to.

The point is - I'm not in the group, I'm not part of the crew,an i'm not an indsurty insider, *but* I do try to some present some ideas here in a constructive manner. This is where I sometimes differ from others on this site.

As for what to do on Colbert in 90 seconds? I'm not sure. But in the 90 seconds a new demographic got to See The Roots, they all knew the song tahtw as played, and it got the new product in front of them. That seems like a win.

Too bad Conan doesn't invite you on for a week of performances. If i were Conan you'd so be in.