Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: the questions i've always wanted to get answers for
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=45506&mesg_id=45654
45654, RE: the questions i've always wanted to get answers for
Posted by qoolquest, Sun Sep-18-05 04:52 PM
>most important one first
>1. when a song on a roots album is credited as being produced
>by (insert non-roots member here) and that person and black
>thought receive the only writing credit, what was their exact
>involvement in the recording? if it varies, give examples. did
>they make a demo using their drum machines and MPC/SP/software
>and then oversee your band's recording of it or did you give
>them a producer credit without them being further involved
>past the demo stage? how often do you overdub their original
>demo beat?

we are in everyone's mix so the lines are blurred.
but pretty much the plan is

someone submits a demo
then we approximate it.
as in re do drums
bass
guitar etc etc.

me and rich pretty much take over the song after its demo stage.--i realized in the past that "oh!!! i did this and that and this and that and this!!!" is not all that important. so sometimes i will lay back on the credits so as to not overshadow someone else from getting some shine.

cause at the end of the day as "questlove" i can always get work.

meanwhile we done built a nation for producers and rarely use em cause i get cream of the crop.

but at the end of the day.

rich
riq
and me

are the deciding factor.

once in a blue moon some shit will escape without my knowledge (the nba 2006 "fire" jawn) but that is a rare move. i am too anal and too anal anal to just let someone demo they way on my record.

this has been the method since IH.

this album we will try to make it sound as "BAND" as possible.

i get dismayed when people ask me "will you guys be on the album next time?" its like they only want roots if i am behind a drumset that sounds like DYWM.--kinda like you will only date a girl if she looks like the video hoe she looked like last night in the club.

so its a double edged sword. we are just trying to really do shit we never done before.

>2. how familiar are you with the 60s-70s krautrock (german
>avant-rock) band CAN? i think you'd really appreciate the
>unique approach to rhythm and instrumentation.

paid about $125 for it.
then i found cd in japan for 15.99 :(

>3. what is your favorite album or track by aphex twin?

>4. why were these producers rejected from the tipping point:
>neptunes, kanye west, rjd2, 9th wonder

tunes-songs were dope, but just stuck out like a sore thumb compared to TTP
kanye- his style is very specific. i think the reason why some cats fail with his production (slum, dialated, brandy, dwele, janet, keish, first john single and "i'll try") is that the real appeal to kanye aint his "music"....its HIM. and unless you take on his mannerisms (underdog in the hizzhouse!! small world!!!! i made it !!! i won!! i won!!!!) that is what takes the song over the top...can't imagine janet singing "spaceship" right? and if kweli did "jesus walks" yall would laugh his ass out the club. cause we DO believe that Ye is a southside baptist christian. so it works. and the songs he gave us really didnt "fit" us...and we weren't willing to "humanize" ourselves that much.
rjd2-dice took "do what i like"
9th-we were about done by the time he came around.

>5. do you regret making or releasing any of the tipping
>point?

i regret trusting jim when he said "trust me"--i love that record but the promotion of it and "dont say" as first single was mistake.

>THANK YOU.