Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectHere we go again- flashbacks to Okayplayer of 2000...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=45250&mesg_id=45275
45275, Here we go again- flashbacks to Okayplayer of 2000...
Posted by jdet313, Fri Mar-24-06 05:21 PM
I had just calmed down, and now this:
NEVER did i say "fuck everyone"
I did say and will stand by it to anyone: Jay WAS and IS the greatest producer in hip hop. Don't care what i think? Well:

Pharell: on 106 and Park "Who's my favorite producer? J Dilla."

Kanye: in SCRATCH MY ASS magazine (paraphrase) "I steal drums off of Jay Dee's beat cds." (dont even get me started on how wack this is)

Jazze Pha: has mentioned several times in print how much of an influence Dilla and Slum are on his music.

Denaun Porter (50, Busta, Xzibit, etc.): has said "I would not be here if it weren't for Jay".
These are some of the biggest NAME producers in popular music right now. And Jay has influenced them all.
Not to mention lower tier producers: Hi-Tek (a straight clone, even down to the way he tries to rhymes like Jay), 88 Keys (would tape beats off of Jay's answering machine), 9th Wonder (you'd have to be deaf not to hear Jay's influence oh him).

Underground:
Madlib: well damn, before the Jaylib collabo, he was another beat stalker. He made a whole album out of Jay's beats and sent it to him. Jay: "What the fuck? This motherfucker is crazy?!"

Legends:

Dr. Muthafuckin' Dre- all time best? Straight stole the instrumental (didn't even try to duplicate it) of "Get Dis Money" for the WASH sndtk.

Pete Rock- one of my idols and Jay's biggest, would remake Jay's beats (out of fun, Jay would do it back), but even passed one off on a beat tape he gave Phat Kat.

Questlove- has stated numerous times that he thinks Jay is THE greatest of all time. See his post from years back about how Jay is the best in detail. Not to mention the obvious influence Jay has had on his music and production.

Goddamn PRINCE: his favorite song the year it came out? "THE LIGHT" produced by? Timbaland? No. Dre? NO. JAY DILLA!

Q-Tip was never the same after Jay came into the picture. (I won't go further into this).

These are just a few examples! How bout Tupac's biggest posthumous hit "Do For Love"? A straight beat jack, sped up of a Jay Dee Track. Mos Def stole a beat off a fuckin' beat TAPE and used it for his Sprite commercial. Janet Jackson "Got till its Gone"- arguably her last biggest song was PRODUCED by Jay Dee. I mean what more do you need?! These are just the known examples off the top of my head!

Jay spawned an entire movement (for better or worse): Neo-soul. All of that shit came in Jay's shadow. The entire sound. D'angelo, Common, Jill Scott (most of the Philly cats: Jazzy Jeff, Kev Brown, etc. I KNOW i'll catch hell for that one!), all of it came from Jay building off a Tribe Called Quest. Check the resume: Busta (got beats from Jay for EVERY album, except one i think), Tribe (Jay changed their whole shit! For better or worse), De La, Badu, Common, Pharcyde, Slum, Roots, on and on.

Lastly, this shit is not dick ridin'. I'm stating MY OPINION. f you think stating this is childish, i cant help you, but i will back it up. Jay could kill anyone's signature sound, (check "dedication to the suckers"- for his Primo joint. Numerous beats off of his cds for Timbaland and Neptunes, and the whole DONUTS album makes Kanye look like the toy he is) but no one can fuck with Jay's (though many have tried). He was the most well-rounded and consistent producer hands down. His beat cds are traded like the Hoy Grail around the world and are better than most cats albums. His influence goes beyond anything i can say, just listen.

Finally, Jay was a friend of mine, so i do take it a bit personal. You may think i'm biased because of this, whatever- you haven't paid attention to anything above- but he was my idol before i ever met him and will be until i meet him again...

Peace.