Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectThe Roots on the cover of SCRATCH MAGAZINE - in Dilla's honor
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=45250
45250, The Roots on the cover of SCRATCH MAGAZINE - in Dilla's honor
Posted by okpdan, Thu Mar-23-06 08:52 PM
Check it out...

http://okayplayer.com/exclusive/SCRATCH-MAGAZINE-MayJune2006.jpg

May/June 2006 issue on stands March 28
45251, RE: The Roots on the cover of SCRATCH MAGAZINE - in Dilla's honor
Posted by DaKidFromHaiti, Thu Mar-23-06 08:55 PM
props, seems like Scratch took a long time to put this issue out, but I think it's gon be worth the wait.
45252, word up.
Posted by kinetic94761180, Fri Mar-24-06 12:06 AM
Posted by Troubled Spirits, Fri Mar-24-06 12:59 AM
Anybody know when this hits stands?
45254, read the post.... lol ... n/m
Posted by okpdan, Fri Mar-24-06 02:13 AM
45255, lol
Posted by Troubled Spirits, Fri Mar-24-06 04:18 PM
can anybody tell i'm absent-minded?
45256, RE: The Roots on the cover of SCRATCH MAGAZINE - in Dilla's honor
Posted by allison, Fri Mar-24-06 10:41 AM

awwwwwwwwwwww. nice :)
45257, what's been up, lady?-
Posted by kinetic94761180, Tue Apr-04-06 02:57 PM
(inbox)
45258, very nice.... but where's Knuckles and Kirk?
Posted by J_Sun, Fri Mar-24-06 10:51 AM
Haven't they been w/ the crew long enough to be full fledged band members?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"If you wore capris, you'd be Capri-Sun" - squeeg

DROkayplayer: "You can tell we're high, cuz we're talkin about food, insted of like hip hop or titties and shit" - willydynamite
45259, RE: very nice.... but where's Knuckles and Kirk?
Posted by fowler, Fri Mar-24-06 11:24 AM
true, I always wonder this when I see posters and stuff. Are they full members now??? If not, make em
45260, black thought,Quest, hub and kamal every one else is relvoing door aint' it it
Posted by Menphyel7, Fri Mar-24-06 12:19 PM
45261, yay, the official post
Posted by fontgangsta, Fri Mar-24-06 11:44 AM
some other things in the issue of okay-interest (besides the obvious Roots + Dilla)

-the first instalment of "Roy Lee, Producer Extrodinaire" - a new column based on Phonte's fictional over-the-hill producer character from Ahoski, NC... Effing hilarious!
-Tanya Morgan Moonlighting review (4/5 - way to go guys!)
-boiling point profile on RJD2
-Rich Medina & Jerry Wonder (of fugees fame) weigh in on new gear in the lab (respectivly)

enjoy!!!
45262, RE: The Roots on the cover of SCRATCH MAGAZINE - in Dilla's honor
Posted by Abstrakt, Fri Mar-24-06 12:28 PM
>Check it out...
>
>http://okayplayer.com/exclusive/SCRATCH-MAGAZINE-MayJune2006.jpg
>
>May/June 2006 issue on stands March 28

I want to fuck this issue.
45263, eesh - paper cuts. n/m
Posted by fontgangsta, Fri Mar-24-06 12:35 PM
45264, RE: The Roots on the cover of SCRATCH MAGAZINE - in Dilla's honor
Posted by musikluva, Fri Mar-24-06 01:26 PM
man, props on this. visually it's off the chain and it's so simple. damn. props.
45265, RE: The Roots on the cover of SCRATCH MAGAZINE - in Dilla's honor
Posted by Raytard, Fri Mar-24-06 01:31 PM
Bueno....period
45266, questlove looks angry...
Posted by Paranoid Android, Fri Mar-24-06 02:11 PM
the others are solemn, but quest looks pissed.

Posted by allison, Fri Mar-24-06 02:17 PM
hardly...sad for his loss :(
45268, RE: huh ?
Posted by Paranoid Android, Fri Mar-24-06 04:36 PM
http://www.randomculture.com/photos/uncategorized/mrt_1.JPG

T don't look sad...he looks angry.
same expression.

i was joking anyway.
cover's nice.

Posted by Heinz, Fri Mar-24-06 02:20 PM
tanya morgan got a review in there!...gyeahhhhhhhh. if u dont know who they are...head to the lesson...
45270, In memory of Jay, this cover is bullshit!
Posted by jdet313, Fri Mar-24-06 03:31 PM
I'm sorry, but that shit is fuckin' wack! Some t-shirts w/ Jay's name on it on the cover is not sufficent! A tiny little picture in the top corner of Jay is not sufficent! Every goddamn "big name" producer that has been in this mag since it started has name-dropped Jay, given him props- most of whom owe their career from biting his shit! And this is what he gets in honor of him, a Roots cover?! No disrespect, but y'all should have told them that you will get NO interviews/ coverage from us if you don't put Jay on the cover. I'm sick of this shit! People giving empty props for the man and then not standing up for his legacy. How many mag covers have the Roots been on? Dozens. Jay Dee? 2? Maybe 3? The most influential hip hop producer of our generation (or any generation for that matter) passes and he can't get a cover of a HIP HOP PRODUCTION magazine?!?
What the fuck is going on? This doesn't bother anyone else? Wack "big name" mutherfuckers that have cats like Jay ghost-producing their shit get the cover, but not Dilla?! Fuck this, boycott that shit till he gets his due! Everyone (won't name no names...yet) have been eatin' off Jay's sound for a long time and I won't stand for it no more. Fuck this shit!
45271, RE: In memory of Jay, this cover is bullshit!
Posted by fowler, Fri Mar-24-06 03:53 PM
search for the interview with the guy from scratch (posted about a week ago i think) why they ran with the roots on the cover, then re-think.
45272, calm thee fuck down please
Posted by 15, Fri Mar-24-06 03:56 PM
sheeeeesh.

this cover was designated waaaaaay before his death

we agreed a mere 24 hours before to do what we could with the short notice because the next scratch would be out in may.

and what dozens you talking about?

entertainment weekly like kanye?
or rolling stone like outkast?
or vibe like common?
or xxl like dead prez?
or even spin?
or how about don diva
the source even?

what stress,one world and urb? maybe with a 100,000 distribution thing going on if

please tell me the "dozens" of covers you done seen my ass on that has you tripping like a first grader who lost his comic book.

we lost dilla yo.

but dont make that shit at my expense.

i earned this cover thank you very much.
45273, RE: calm thee fuck down please
Posted by jdet313, Fri Mar-24-06 04:10 PM
I said "no disrespect" to the Roots. I'm pissed because this is a HIP HOP PRODUCTION mag and the greatest, most bit, producer in hip hop dies and can't get the cover?! I know Jay never sought the spotlight, but this is beyond me. You know next issue they'll have gone onto to trying to sell mags and forget the whole thing. I'm just saddend that this is the state of hip hop. Y'all earned a cover, but Jay deserves it. No disrespect to anyone in your camp cause y'all have had Jay's back before, but this to me is depressing as hell. Just like all the folks on this site in the beginning who HATED on him and than want to flip-flop and say they thought he was a genius after he passes, blah, blah. And as far as your covers go, i was speaking generally and no i don't know how many covers exactly the Roots have been on, that was not the point of the post. I just meant that a whole lot more coverage has gone to y'all than Jay and i think he deserves it as much as anyone. Balance is all i was implying. I've had a hard time dealing w/ his passing and i guess it upsets me that he can't even get the love from his OWN community. I've seen it here in Detroit for years and i'm just tired of it. I'm sorry if anyone particular takes any offense to this- it's just how i feel. Peace.
45274, Okaydickrider?
Posted by Troubled Spirits, Fri Mar-24-06 04:23 PM
I know dude passed, it's very sad, and he was a wonderful producer....

but your stupid statements(he was the best ever! everybody bites him! fuck everyone!)make your argument sound childish, and full of dickriding...
45275, Here we go again- flashbacks to Okayplayer of 2000...
Posted by jdet313, Fri Mar-24-06 05:21 PM
I had just calmed down, and now this:
NEVER did i say "fuck everyone"
I did say and will stand by it to anyone: Jay WAS and IS the greatest producer in hip hop. Don't care what i think? Well:

Pharell: on 106 and Park "Who's my favorite producer? J Dilla."

Kanye: in SCRATCH MY ASS magazine (paraphrase) "I steal drums off of Jay Dee's beat cds." (dont even get me started on how wack this is)

Jazze Pha: has mentioned several times in print how much of an influence Dilla and Slum are on his music.

Denaun Porter (50, Busta, Xzibit, etc.): has said "I would not be here if it weren't for Jay".
These are some of the biggest NAME producers in popular music right now. And Jay has influenced them all.
Not to mention lower tier producers: Hi-Tek (a straight clone, even down to the way he tries to rhymes like Jay), 88 Keys (would tape beats off of Jay's answering machine), 9th Wonder (you'd have to be deaf not to hear Jay's influence oh him).

Underground:
Madlib: well damn, before the Jaylib collabo, he was another beat stalker. He made a whole album out of Jay's beats and sent it to him. Jay: "What the fuck? This motherfucker is crazy?!"

Legends:

Dr. Muthafuckin' Dre- all time best? Straight stole the instrumental (didn't even try to duplicate it) of "Get Dis Money" for the WASH sndtk.

Pete Rock- one of my idols and Jay's biggest, would remake Jay's beats (out of fun, Jay would do it back), but even passed one off on a beat tape he gave Phat Kat.

Questlove- has stated numerous times that he thinks Jay is THE greatest of all time. See his post from years back about how Jay is the best in detail. Not to mention the obvious influence Jay has had on his music and production.

Goddamn PRINCE: his favorite song the year it came out? "THE LIGHT" produced by? Timbaland? No. Dre? NO. JAY DILLA!

Q-Tip was never the same after Jay came into the picture. (I won't go further into this).

These are just a few examples! How bout Tupac's biggest posthumous hit "Do For Love"? A straight beat jack, sped up of a Jay Dee Track. Mos Def stole a beat off a fuckin' beat TAPE and used it for his Sprite commercial. Janet Jackson "Got till its Gone"- arguably her last biggest song was PRODUCED by Jay Dee. I mean what more do you need?! These are just the known examples off the top of my head!

Jay spawned an entire movement (for better or worse): Neo-soul. All of that shit came in Jay's shadow. The entire sound. D'angelo, Common, Jill Scott (most of the Philly cats: Jazzy Jeff, Kev Brown, etc. I KNOW i'll catch hell for that one!), all of it came from Jay building off a Tribe Called Quest. Check the resume: Busta (got beats from Jay for EVERY album, except one i think), Tribe (Jay changed their whole shit! For better or worse), De La, Badu, Common, Pharcyde, Slum, Roots, on and on.

Lastly, this shit is not dick ridin'. I'm stating MY OPINION. f you think stating this is childish, i cant help you, but i will back it up. Jay could kill anyone's signature sound, (check "dedication to the suckers"- for his Primo joint. Numerous beats off of his cds for Timbaland and Neptunes, and the whole DONUTS album makes Kanye look like the toy he is) but no one can fuck with Jay's (though many have tried). He was the most well-rounded and consistent producer hands down. His beat cds are traded like the Hoy Grail around the world and are better than most cats albums. His influence goes beyond anything i can say, just listen.

Finally, Jay was a friend of mine, so i do take it a bit personal. You may think i'm biased because of this, whatever- you haven't paid attention to anything above- but he was my idol before i ever met him and will be until i meet him again...

Peace.
45276, RE: Here we go again- flashbacks to Okayplayer of 2000...
Posted by wnb0010, Sat Mar-25-06 03:46 AM
It was a bit lame especially since died over a month now.

Cheap!
45277, LMAO...
Posted by fontgangsta, Sat Mar-25-06 10:06 PM
@ getting heat on okayplayer for putting the roots on the cover
&
@ "scratch my ass"
45278, RE: Here we go again- flashbacks to Okayplayer of 2000...
Posted by djradius, Sun Mar-26-06 12:00 AM
Peace bro i feel ya...i feel and express my self at these people round my way..Dilla>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
hold ya head fam
much peace
45279, you're preaching to the choir...
Posted by Scrapluv, Sun Mar-26-06 09:00 AM
45280, how can you take offense?
Posted by Troubled Spirits, Sun Mar-26-06 03:31 PM
How can you take offense to what i said, just because you were a friend of his? I said nothing bad about Dilla. Apparently you are allowed to have an "opinion" (Jay-Dee is the end all, be all, of hiphop production ever), but I can't have a differing opinion from yours. Jay Dee was great, but I don't think he was the greatest producer of hip-hop ever. Deal with it.
45281, RE: Here we go again- flashbacks to Okayplayer of 2000...
Posted by sfacade, Sun Mar-26-06 10:17 PM
Hey, I have to agree with you 110% - J Dilla was the GREATEST, NO QUESTIONS ASKED!! he was as and is the forerunner of this neo-soul movement. While producers where trying to bite his sound and catch up, Jay had moved on to another sound, leaving all of the other producers standing there stiff in his vapor trail. His sound for Tribe's Beats, Rhymes, and Life, his sound for Like Water For Chocolate, and his sound for Electric Circus were all different. Jay's sound just kept on evolving and the other producers just couldn't keep up with him. he was light years beyond. who can duplicate his "space age" sound? who can actually f with his soul clap snares? who can touch the "ummah" sound? that's what I thought. NO ONE. KANYE IS A CLOWN. HIS BEATS ARE PRE-SCHOOL AND DON'T LEAVE AN IMPRESSION ON ME AT ALL. POINT BLANK.

EASILY, THE GREATEST EVER SHOULD GRACE A COVER OF MAGAZINE!!!! THERE ARE MORE J DILLA DISCIPILES OUT THERE THAN U WILL EVER KNOW!
45282, Dude has 7 posts...
Posted by rons1ne, Tue Mar-28-06 03:43 PM
half of which were made in this post...

ha!

45283, you're mad naive
Posted by prophet j, Tue Mar-28-06 06:55 PM
they could have given the death of jay no notice.
it is the roots who are putting it out there with that photo.
and they're not in charge of the production of scratch magazine.

- - - - -

jy
1974-2006

peace & love
45284, *hands u a glass of water*
Posted by NaijahGirl, Tue Mar-28-06 08:44 PM
calm down...its not that serious
45285, man if anyone should be pissed... how about HUB!
Posted by TotalRequestloveLive, Wed Apr-05-06 09:31 PM
they Electric-Circus-album-covered his ass in there. Lorenz Tate got more love than that.

I'm just playing, but while on the topic, yeah fuck Scratch Magazine, but you can't knock the Roots for doing the cover. If not them, it would have been like DJ Paul... and he wouldn't have been wearing a Dills t-shirt. Besides, the real issue is fuck Scratch Magazine for not putting Dilla on the cover EVER. They had years to do it when it would have made a difference.

peace,
Total...

All Praises Due to Dillah
45286, RE: Where can I get the Dilla shirt the Roots are wearing on the cover???
Posted by DokSoose, Sun Mar-26-06 12:43 AM
Im really interested in copping a Dilla shirt but honestly none of them are "stylish"..... they all look like normal band shirts, ya know.....so where can I get the Dilla shirt the Roots are wearing on the cover of scratch??? help me out!
45287, RE: Dilla shirt the Roots are wearing on the cover
Posted by fontgangsta, Sun Mar-26-06 01:39 AM
the credit for the shirt is:
Dizmology by Miguel Ovalle

i believe dude used to work for ecko but he's doing his own thing now.
i know not if they are available for purchase tho...
45288, yes, Dizmology by Miguel Ovalle is the credit
Posted by okpdan, Mon Mar-27-06 11:30 AM
that is Ginny's peoples. She says he used to work for ecko. Also, he only made 4 shirts... the ones you see on the cover.
45289, RE: yes, Dizmology by Miguel Ovalle is the credit
Posted by DokSoose, Tue Mar-28-06 02:20 PM
well you gotta tell him to make some more up....make em limited #'s or somthin.....people will cop em....like me for starts!
45290, I would love that shirt.. I'm really feeling the cover too...
Posted by BarTek, Tue Mar-28-06 03:02 PM

@}-,-`-

He looks determined without being ruthless
Something heroic in this man, there's a courage about him
Doesn't look like a killer
Comes across so calm, acts like he has a dream
Full of passion

beats...
http://www.soundclick.com/afreestylemotif
45291, RE: The Roots on the cover of SCRATCH MAGAZINE - in Dilla's honor
Posted by the.herb, Wed Mar-29-06 01:40 AM
I'm feeling that shirt too! The mag ain't on the stands just yet. I've been to every book store within my area and haven't had any luck copping it yet.

URB mag did a little 2 page tribute to Dilla too...
45292, RE: The Roots on the cover of SCRATCH MAGAZINE - in Dilla's honor
Posted by Abstrakt, Wed Mar-29-06 03:21 PM
Is it just me, or has K really hit the gym?
45293, So it's supposed to be on shelves now huh?
Posted by Vocab, Tue Apr-04-06 02:05 PM
So why the hell can't I find it ANYWHERE in Philly? shit.
Posted by a_brother_named_george, Tue Apr-04-06 03:14 PM
I can't find it either in my area of the bay. (Concord/Walnut Creek/Pittsburg)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

<--- "It's Tanya,Ms. Morgan if you're nasty... "
Moonlighting drops April 4,2006

www.abrothernamedgeorge.com

www.myspace.com/abngmusic

Check it out,check it check it out!!!
45295, its out there...
Posted by fontgangsta, Tue Apr-04-06 08:00 PM
try guitar center if you have one in your area, they always carry it.
45296, ?uest looks pissed, thought with out the ice grill?
Posted by AbdulJaleel, Tue Apr-04-06 06:38 PM
i can dig it