Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectWas Boondocks pulled from newspapers?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=45219
45219, Was Boondocks pulled from newspapers?
Posted by mllowmman, Wed Mar-29-06 03:00 PM
Forgive me if this has been posted or talked about already.

But I opened up my local newspaper (Sacbee in Sacramento) and turned to the comics to read the two strips I read...Dilbert and Boondocks. Didn't see Boondocks anywhere but I did see another strip called FoxTrot kind of mocking The Boondocks.

Did Aaron McGruder say something so contraversial that got the strip pulled from some papers?

Here's the strip FoxTrot that mocks The Boondocks. Is there some secret rivalry between the two?

http://www.foxtrot.com/

45220, I'm assuming it's because of the 6 mo. hiatus
Posted by KinkyThought, Wed Mar-29-06 03:15 PM
newspapers had the option to run reruns or cut the strip. i guess yours decided to cut it.
45221, RE: Was Boondocks pulled from newspapers?
Posted by Blaxx, Wed Mar-29-06 04:00 PM
Aaron is taking a 6 month break but I dunno any other newspapers to cut it. I seen a lot start from the very beginning (something I'm loving by the way...can't wait for Riley and the plastic lightsaber) but I never seen FoxTrot talking about anything socially relevant but I'm hoping Aaron will get at em. That would be something I'd like to see in the show
45222, they cut it in new york...
Posted by southqueens, Sun Apr-02-06 03:39 PM
45223, St. Petersburg Times cut it
Posted by bamellgr, Tue Apr-04-06 07:36 PM
And I don't really think FoxTrot was bashing it.
45224, Aarons gonna have to make an early comeback
Posted by Nabs, Wed Mar-29-06 04:52 PM
ha

dont forget these

http://www.ucomics.com/foxtrot/2006/03/27/
http://www.ucomics.com/foxtrot/2006/03/28/
45225, Yea..that's bugged out
Posted by mllowmman, Wed Mar-29-06 05:57 PM
Are these just random stabs they're taking at Aaron? I've never paid any attention to this strip but it seems like they're coming out of nowhere.

Or do they have some type of rivalry?

45226, Yea..that's bugged out
Are these just random stabs they're taking at Aaron? I've never paid any attention to this strip but it seems like they're coming out of nowhere.

45227, Yea..that's bugged out

45228, RE: Yea..that's bugged out
Posted by Blaxx, Wed Mar-29-06 05:59 PM
I've seen the strip before but I never found it interesting enough to follow...a couple times it didn't even make any sense. I don't even know if I want to see someone lash back, that's just free promotion
45229, RE: Was Boondocks pulled from newspapers?
Posted by Blaxx, Wed Mar-29-06 05:57 PM
Anybody notice that white people attack anything black people produce that's not rap music or Soul Plane? Anybody seen that book 'Think' which is nothing more than an attack on Malcolm Gladwell's 'Blink', a book that didn't even warrant a rebuttal.
45230, Malcolm Gladwell isn't black
Posted by mllowmman, Wed Mar-29-06 06:25 PM
if that's what you're implying.

45231, He's not ONLY black, but one of his parents is
Posted by blazing_sun, Wed Mar-29-06 07:21 PM
Does this not count to you?
45232, You're right...
Posted by mllowmman, Tue Apr-04-06 11:48 AM
I didn't realize it. After reading The Tipping Point, I saw the photo in the back(a black and white photo)and just assumed he was white. I see he's biracial.

45233, RE: He's not ONLY black, but one of his parents is
Posted by flemsone, Wed Apr-05-06 10:54 AM
So I guess this means, according to your theory, that since Gladwell is both black and white, and since all white people attack everything black people do, that he MUST attack everything he himself says? That's intelligent. I would say white people these days are more apt to glom onto things black people say and do rather than attack them. Either that or try and make a commercial out of it to sell deodorant or snack foods. Lighten up - I wouldn't call what Fox Trot did "attacking" anything.
45234, RE: Was Boondocks pulled from newspapers?
Posted by King of Persia, Mon Apr-03-06 10:50 PM
I have yet to see one white person with balls enough to challenge Malcolm X's autobiography. In front of me at least.

45235, You guys might be misinterpretting this.
Posted by murph25, Wed Mar-29-06 06:22 PM
From everything I know, Bill Amend is friendly with Aaron McGruder, and the current series of comics seem like an homage to Boondocks as it goes into reruns. FoxTrot is a great comic, and I imagine Amend and McGruder have a mutual respect for one another's work. The comics I've read are NOT making fun of McGruder or Boondocks. The joke is the notion of this character (who is a nerdy white kid) trying to do what Aaron does so well in his strip. FoxTrot does stuff like this all the time, referencing other comics and pop culture events, which is one of the reasons it is my favorite comic. I think the Foxtrots so far this week have been pretty funny, myself. The fact that Amend is aware of Aaron's hiatus, and feels it to be worth commenting on, is evidence of the esteem he has for the strip, not proof of some kind of animosity.
45236, RE: You guys might be misinterpretting this.
Posted by theAbominable, Wed Mar-29-06 06:32 PM
BINGO!!!!!!!
45237, RE: You guys might be misinterpretting this.
Posted by Stones, Sat Apr-01-06 11:33 PM
i thought it was pretty funny... especially that last one cause alot of white ppl and white washed blacks honestly don't know that mos def is a rapper
45238, RE: You guys might be misinterpretting this.
Posted by sithlord, Tue Apr-04-06 05:57 PM
After "Hitchhiker's Guide", a white friend of mine went as far to ask me if Mos was British. I calmly replied, "No. he's from Brooklyn." Then I burst into uncontrolled laughter...

"I mean people think this business is all about money, sex and drugs. Well, it is. But you've also got to remember it is a business. So handle your business, pay your taxes and be on time.''
-The infinite wisdom of Juicy J of Three 6 Mafia
"What's wrong with revenge? It's the best way to get even."
-The Great Archie Bunker
45239, haha
Posted by queenisisdivine, Wed Apr-05-06 12:36 PM
>After "Hitchhiker's Guide", a white friend of mine went as
>far to ask me if Mos was British. I calmly replied, "No. he's
>from Brooklyn." Then I burst into uncontrolled laughter...
>
>"I mean people think this business is all about money, sex and
>drugs. Well, it is. But you've also got to remember it is a
>business. So handle your business, pay your taxes and be on
>time.''
>-The infinite wisdom of Juicy J of Three 6 Mafia
>"What's wrong with revenge? It's the best way to get even."
>-The Great Archie Bunker

I'm so FoCuSeD
~>http://www.myspace.com/hiphopgyrl
~>http://hiphopheadz.blogspot.com
45240, I believe you are right
Posted by p_oz, Thu Apr-06-06 12:10 PM
A couple of 'em had me wondering, but FoxTrot wouldn't go making cheap shots. I think it was more of a lampoon. Besides, Jason always has get rich schemes in FoxTrot.

Besides - I wouldn't have know Boondocks was on hiatus if not for FoxTrot!

p-oz

•- •-•• • –••-

need cheap great web hosting?

www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?mogabog
45241, RE: Was Boondocks pulled from newspapers?
Posted by JayCee, Sat Apr-01-06 11:57 PM
45242, RE: Was Boondocks pulled from newspapers?
Posted by Cram, Sun Apr-02-06 04:38 PM
So the answer is yes.
45243, New law against cartoonists poking fun at other cartoonists
Posted by prophet j, Mon Apr-03-06 11:07 AM
i guess no one on this board has ever made an exaggerated joke towards a friend, and if so the friend didn't laugh.

clearly bill amend hates aaron mcgruder.

- - - - -

jy
1974-2006

peace & love
45244, RE: Was Boondocks pulled from newspapers?
Posted by Pat17, Mon Apr-03-06 12:06 PM
I thought that shit was hilarious. I am white and thought that I should be offended before any black people or Aaron McGruder. I'm pretty sure it's just a little tribute or thanks to the great work Aaron has done over the years.
45245, RE: Was Boondocks pulled from newspapers?
Posted by Stranjer, Tue Apr-04-06 03:23 AM

>
>Here's the strip FoxTrot that mocks The Boondocks. Is there
>some secret rivalry between the two?
>
>http://www.foxtrot.com/

Uh, Foxtrot has been around a lonnnnnnnng time, if I remember correctly long before Boondocks. By this logic it could well be said that Boondocks mocks Foxtrot.
45246, I didn't mocking as in...
Posted by mllowmman, Tue Apr-04-06 11:51 AM
imitating or copying The Boondocks...I meant making fun of it. Perhaps a bad choice of words.

45247, RE: I didn't mocking as in...
Posted by Abstrakt, Tue Apr-04-06 12:10 PM
It seems to me that the comic isn't making fun of, or celebrating Boondocks. It seems, like the author is just stating "facts" of what he/she thinks what the usual Boondocks comic says. If that makes sense.
45248, RE: I didn't mocking as in...
Posted by Newtonium, Tue Apr-04-06 03:13 PM
I think Bill Amend was having some fun with McGruder's comic, but not in a mean-sprited way. I actually think it shows the respect he has for Aaron's work. -Newt
45249, RE: Was Boondocks pulled from newspapers?
Posted by asuecion, Sun Apr-09-06 02:29 AM
yeah, I read in the Dallas paper that he was on a 6 month hiatus to worko on the show. But it almost seems as if the papers are just hating. They could have ran old strips like they do for the others...

Be Stong. Stay Strong. Live Strong. Love Strong.

http://www.asuecion.com