Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectConcur in part, Dissent in part
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=44886&mesg_id=45035
45035, Concur in part, Dissent in part
Posted by misteranalytical, Tue Apr-18-06 10:09 PM
I NEVER post on Okayplayer (as you can see) but inquiring about M1's album brought me to the site and I see that things on here are a little heated and I felt compelled to participate. I agree with Kweli for the most part. I am a fan of his despite not neccessarliy enjoying every release that he put out. Still I purchased every release he put out because I like him as an artist in totality which means taking the bitter with the sweet.

What I do not agree with is Kweli making the statement that if you aren't an artist, and this isn't what you do, then your opinions are not as valuable. I disagree with that. If 5 million people buy an album and they say it's great, they aren't artists but are their opinions less valuable? Or is it ok because it is an opinion that the artist desires? Critics are advocates for consumers, not artists. Ultimately at the end of the day, I draw my OWN conclusion because I know that one mans junk is another man's treasure. Still, I take what some people offer into consideration. If everyone I known says that T.I's album is the truth, I still will not be compelled to buy it. I only like 2-3% of the music that hits the marketplace and my dollars are very valuable and I can relate to homeboy's disappointment in his $13 not being well spent. However, I am sure that even though he may not like the album, he is (hopefully) satisfied to know that if $13 had to be "wasted" better it be on M1 than D4L. At least that's my stance when I purchase anything less than stellar.

Kweli, I hope you continue to come back because just like everyone is entitled to their opinion, good, bad, or otherwise, so are you...and I value yours just like I value everyone else's.

I'm checking for the next release. Take care and be well.

Mister Analytical Out