Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: He is being sensitive, all of this is to be expected, but you have to admit...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=44886&mesg_id=45031
45031, RE: He is being sensitive, all of this is to be expected, but you have to admit...
Posted by emahunn, Sun Apr-16-06 07:42 PM
I agree with you to some extent. Kweli is not a super artist who is going to let hate go unaddressed. First and foremost, we have to view the complexity of the situation. Kweli is an artist (a field that he chose to be in) and with the fame, tours, and pressure to produce music, naturally such hate is going to affect his discourse. Furthermore, the death of the artist known as Proof has played an indirect (possibly direct) role in his discourse. I feel that we are all affected positively or negatively by haters. So use hate as a symbolic fuel that keeps them motivated. While others use hate to destroy their self esteem. Naturally, as people who are not exposed to the same amount of public pressure as Kweli would feel as if he should totally ignore such criticism. However, artist relate to one another simply by their occupation (which is being an artist). Although Kweli may not have listened to M1's album, he is going to defend the album because M1 is a man who is giving the same amount of passion to the art of music as Kweli. I feel that Kweli should focus on his core fan base. However, as I stated in an earlier posted, hate should not be left unaddressed. It is up to all of us to give insightful, positive, and constructive criticism to help such artist progress and futher build their craft to perfection. God bless my brother and POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!