Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectListened to 'Ms. Hill' again...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=44886&mesg_id=45017
45017, Listened to 'Ms. Hill' again...
Posted by funbox, Sat Apr-15-06 12:32 AM
...and it made me kinda sad that Kweli thinks people hate on him and don't appreciate his music. BS/RE are my favorites too but I still love him and he's still on my would-buy first day with DP, Comm, Mos (I might wait to find out if its a rap album first though), Technique, etc.. Ms. Hill was a great song and I couldn't really think of any artist that would make it. No matter what album you like or the chronology of your favorites, Kweli has a unique voice in hip hop that I'd definately miss if he stopped making music.

I don't really pay much attention to the tide of OKP or have any idea of whether or not its an actual representation of music fans out there (like polling GW Bush's popularity in a Middle Eastern restaurant and ignoring the South or something) but is there anyway that its just a discussion of higher level hip hop? Like every post is prefaced with "We're talkin about the quality of the 98-99th percentile of hip hop and these are our opinions on it...?" Cause I mean people are always gonna wanna discuss music and I assume that OKP has a higher standard than Joe Blow on the street and wanna discuss shit based on that standard. I know people might get carried away with that and shit but is it really as bad as he says?

Either way, the Okayplayer-haters are crazy if they don't think Kweli succeeding is a good thing. I don't see a One Man Army solo album dropping and getting as much pub or Immortal Technique being the most famous rapper no one's heard of without Kweli's influence, etc. And we all owe him for that.