Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectSenstive thugs, they all need hugs
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=44886&mesg_id=45009
45009, Senstive thugs, they all need hugs
Posted by dead prezident, Fri Apr-14-06 07:21 PM
Man, no disrespect to Kweli; please take this as constructive criticism because I respect Kweli, even if I'm not really a fan anymore.

Stop being so sensitive. People in the public eye will be criticised and criticised hard by people who consider themselves fans. It comes with the territory. Develop a thick skin and keep it moving. Ain't no need to cry about it, sheesh. It's like the nigga's asking for a hug because his feelings have been hurt. And I don't mean no disrespect because Kweli is obviously very honest with his art and it comes from a true place, but come on. People will have opinions and it can sting to hear them, especially if they are not constructive. But what are you going to do, take your little ball and run home, "I'm not trying to play with you anymore because you made fun of my rapping." The man acts like he never had a negative thing to say about anybody else's work. Everybody has. It's part of having critical thinking skills. If there are ignorant comments, you gotta understand that doesn't represent all fans, only a small segment who want to get under your skin. By crying, you're allowing them to do just that. It's like when my older brothers used to say things just to get a rise out of me and I would play into their hands by crying and lashing out. They found this funny, and shit, it was. Of course I was seven and not a grown ass man with a career and a family. There have to be enough positive fans and supporters out there to drown out the negative choruses. I know there are, people love Talib Kweli. Shit there is even someone floating around this board with the name feelintalibkweli. lol.

It takes a lot of grace to keep on going in the face of vitrolic or unfair criticism than it does to cry about it. The public only sees a part of an artist. Why show them the whiny Kanye-like side? It's grating and weak. Positive comments about an artist's output are earned, not given. That's just reality. Earn it and don't beg for it. I don't mean to be harsh. Let me say something positive. Kweli is a rapper's rapper. Every flow he's ever put on record it's as if he mastered them intuitively before spitting them.

BTW, M1's album is that fire.