Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subject"Wrong, wrong!" (c) Charlie Murphy
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=44886&mesg_id=44968
44968, "Wrong, wrong!" (c) Charlie Murphy
Posted by rick, Fri Apr-14-06 05:59 PM
>Wow ...yall can be cruel sometimes I admit it. I swear that
>they reason yall make some of these statements is because it's
>a 50 % chance that the artist you talking about is gonna read
>it.

i'm getting frustrated with okartists compaining about the way we only complain about them. i read a ton of posts here every day that are positive. i post positive things all the time.

i think the reason people make negative posts isn't because there's a 50% chance the artists will respond to it. they do it because there is a significantly higher chance that an artist will REPLY to it.

when an artist does this, you encourage people to post uber-negative shit by rewarding them for it (and having okartists to your reply is a reward for these cats, hateful as they may appear to be). you also encourage lurkers to enter and add their $.02 to the conversation, upping the thread to the top of the boards. interaction with you guys is one of the big selling points of okp.

it's amazing to post a question about your favorite band and have a grammy award-winning musician answer it. this is an experience you can't get anywhere else.

so STOP giving that shit away! don't reply, or even click on negative shit. i saw the "this m1 album is terrible" post and i skipped it. you know why? because that's fucking retarded. there is no way m1's album is terrible. considering how incredible dead prez is, i imagine at worst it's above average.

but if i post that, there's no way talib (or whoever) would read my post. on the other hand, i did eventually go into the m1 bashing post because he mentioned it. im not trying to sound like a dick rider or anything, but i love kweli's catalogue, and his opinions are important to me. so when he mentioned that shit, my interest was piqued.

and im not trying to say to only find uber-complementative shit and have a big fucking kumbiyah festival. a lot of cats on here can seriously debate what they like about music and what they don't. hell, this WEBSITE has us write reviews on albums that come out. you clearly value our opinions a lot.

engage with these folks, you can't judge a book by it's cover, but a lot of times you can judge a post by its title. "this m1 album is terrible" is not intelligent. if he had said some shit like "you know, im not really feeling this m1 album yet, please discuss." or "tell me why you think this m1 album is good", anything that reveals a bit of humility, a hint of intelligence, or an inkling of respect for the artists whose website budget funds these boards, then get in there.

there is more constructive criticism and intelligent praise around here than there is unwarranted negativity. this many people don't waste their workday and significantly reduce their productivity/gpa/whatever because they hate this kind of music, we come here because we fucking love it.

>It's just music yall...thats all it is...either you like
>it or you dont and your entitled to your own opinion. For
>instance I just made a song that I'm sure most of the people
>on OKP boards will hate...but guess what I dont really give a
>fuck. I like it. If the Roots ever do BEP #'s this place will
>be a war zone! Lol

we are entitled to our opinion, but when you "up" a post's accessibility by viewing or replying to it, you are in a sense promoting or endorsing it. express your opinion by seeking out one of the plentiful intelligent dialogues that abound and ignoring the idiots.

agreed on the war zone, im both in such a state of anticipation about game theory, but im so scared that this place will fucking suck after they get the def jam treatment. i want the roots to succeed, but it sucks that i can't keep them to myself either.