Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectKweli on Proof and OKP's constant hating (myspace swipe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=44886
44886, Kweli on Proof and OKP's constant hating (myspace swipe)
Posted by FunkedUp, Wed Apr-12-06 09:55 PM
Saw this on Kweli's myspace blog:

2006 is becoming the year that hip hop realizes its mortality. It
used to be like a superhero, with crossing over and selling out as its
kryptonite, but it's not that simple and romantic anymore.
Superheroes don't die, and hip hop has always been too fresh and new
to be affected by the rest of the world.. Sadly the almost back to
back deaths of hip hop icons like JDilla, Professor X and Proof have
me reeling. I am overwhelmed, I can't keep up. Rest in peace Proof,
and my heart goes out to everyone in Detroit hip hop.

I'm in cincinatti right now, working with Hi Tek, and we are coming
with some exciting things. We don't have enough songs for a
Reflection album yet, but Tone did 3 joints on the Beautiful Struggle
album, and he'll probably do more on eardrum. Shout out to everyone
at Pratt and at GW university, I had a great time this weekend... I
got shows in NY coming up, so I am looking foward to see how some of
the new songs work on the crowd..

I am getting ready to tour with the
Roots, which is always a challenge because of how tight they are..
I've got to figure out what I can do to make my show memorable..Black
Thought is the ultimate MC, and every night I'm going to have to keep
the stage hot enough for them to come out..I love it though, touring
with the Roots taught me how to perfrom, especially on the OkayPlayer
tour..and speaking of Okay Player..

I gotta address this..I'm new to blogs and websites and all this
computer stuff, and one reason is because of a bad experience I had in
a chat room on OKP years ago(I haven't been in a chat room since). I
hate the idea of people who are or could be annonymous passing
judgement on you and being mean spirited just because you try to share
your music with the world.. People say that the industry doesn't give
artists like myself enough props, but the real hate always comes from
so called fans who visit this site slash community.

A fan suggested recently that I visit the OKP boards and show some love to the fans,
because they really support me. I said cool, she's right, I can't not
go on there because of something some asshole said 6 years ago, lemme
check it out. The first thing I see is M1's album is terrible. The
person who wrote this bullshit and everyone like them should be
ashamed of themselves. They spend a lot of energy talking about why
they didn't like it, and why does OKP support this artist.. Then
someone else mentions how me how the music me and mos def are making
now is doo doo on a stick, if i got the quote right..and you know
what, y'all can miss me with all that shit. I do this for a living,
like for real, not pretend over the internet. I really get on stage
and travel and go to the studio and buy albums and pay producers and
start labels, on top of raising my family and trynta be active in the
community. Sometimes the artist on OKP don't get the respect that
they give the fans. I haven't heard M1's entire album, but I'm down
by law, and I now music well enough to know that it CAN'T be
terrible.. That's not because he's family, it's because I study the
game, and I know what he brings to the table.

Personally, I like the first dead prez album more than the second, but to fix my mouth to say
it's terrible would be a travesty. I'm sure stic and M like their
second album better, that's how it usually goes. There is nothing
constructive about the criticism. M1 has given his heart soul flesh
blood and art to OUR people. He doesn't deserve this hate, you
asshole. What have you done? Who are you? Where's your album, your
double time flows? Oh, no one knows who you are, so shut the fuck up.
If we can't even get constructive criticism on a site supposedly
representing us, why would we wanna be involved..With that said, Dan
and everybody at OKP do a helluva job..When I participate, it's
because of how hard they work. But just before y'all get all
opinionated, remember that m1 is not an idea, he is a person, who has
given everything he can to make our lives and music better.

But y'all wanna shit on him. The way I feel, nobody writing that stuff can
outrap m1, so they just jealous. Mtulu, congrats on the sucess of
your project..I will listen to it and tell you in person how I feel.
I love that the people of NY demanded your record be added to the
playlist. You said turn off the radio, and they came to you, thats
beautiful.

Sorry in advance if I come off bitter or arrogant. I just seen Proof
got shot, and heard someone talking about getting his album because of
it. You have artist who are alive trynta make a difference, and they
get taken for granted..It upsets me sometimes, but we keep pushing..
one love, thanks for letting me vent..Kweli
44887, how long till someone hates on this Kweli statement?
Posted by sweeneykovar, Wed Apr-12-06 10:53 PM
a day? an hour? a minute ago?
44888, 2 seconds if you post it in GD.
Posted by Earl Flynn, Thu Apr-13-06 01:54 PM
-
44889, that was good...
Posted by budz4zo, Wed Apr-12-06 11:04 PM
and TRUE. people may not like an album, and take things way too far by arguing a point that just isn't there. i didn't participate in the debate but i saw the argument about M1's album. the dude didn't provide any sold evidence whatsoever to as why he didn't like the album. there are tons of millions of people on the internet, and some of them are bound to be assholes. as much as some okp's hate, much more goes on at other sites. for ever okayplayerhater, there are a handful of supporters who actually give a shit and voice their opinion. that is why i like okayplayer.com and the fact that the artists actually interact with their fans in a huge way. that might actually be a reason why people hate so much, because of the fact that artists are present to read the comments and it hits them directly. some people get off at talking shit to the people they are jealous of. its important to remember that there are more than 6 billion people in this world and certain number of those are bound to be assholes. ignore the assholes and listen to the masses. keep making great music Kweli and doing what u do
44890, yo is it really that much different on spitkicker?
Posted by FunkedUp, Wed Apr-12-06 11:15 PM
cuz i know kweli is always showing love for spitkicker, i mean they got haters on there too don't they?
44891, RE: Kweli on Proof and OKP's constant hating (myspace swipe)
Posted by complete, Thu Apr-13-06 12:08 AM
Much respect to Kweli for providing a response which was very accurate and on point. Even though you really didn't have to respond it was good to hear a response. One of the many key points you made was when you mentioned being a true music fan which too many cats don't appear to be. I don't know if it's more conspiracy or what because it can't be that much innocent hatred going on. All I know is that if people who "claim" to have any knowledge of hip-hop aren't in some way able to feel and "appreciate" the music Talib Kweli brings to the world, they ain't "qualified" to be commenting because I really believe they aren't up on hip-hop. Same case and point applies appreciation for M-1. Again this is completely separate from expressing ones opinion, these cat's try to display complete hatred. There is a difference between an honest constructive opinion and hatred. I'm not jockin, sweatin or whatever else sucka's might think but coming from a true fan of hip-hop and an emcee who is quite nice himself I definitely support Talib and for that matter Mos and anybody Kweli associates with because he knows hip-hop. Last but not least, I have a 4 yr old daughter and 6 yr old son who are smart enough to be very aware and appreciative of Kweli's music. The children are honest and smart enough to appreciate dope music when they hear it without being tainted. Peace!!!
44892, RE: Kweli on Proof and OKP's constant hating (myspace swipe)
Posted by wise_cracker, Fri Apr-14-06 09:53 PM
>it can't be that much innocent
>hatred going on.

No hatred is innocent.
44893, fuck it, ill do the hating
Posted by 58impala, Thu Apr-13-06 01:05 AM
i dont know what happened in the chat room exactly, but it is kinda funny that they have an angry talib pic on the chat page tho. im going to use that as an avy one day. im not going to touch on that chat room thing tho

anyhow, people are entitled to their opinion. if talib said that he never didnt like an album, then hes gotta be full of shit.

also, i understand he does that for a living, but he also needs to understand that shit like that comes with the terriotiry

i do hate the haters who dont back up their argument. if you going to tell me something sucks, tell me why
44894, i don't think he has a problem with constructive criticism
Posted by odangitzmike, Thu Apr-13-06 02:00 AM
like u said, its those people who say negative shit without anything substantial to back it up that are the problem.

there are two sides the coin. imo, excessive dick riding is just as bad, but that doesn't seem to bother the artists so much does it? but yeah, if you're gonna hate on something, atleast be constructive about it and allow the artists to grow from it.
44895, Dear Kweli...
Posted by emeyesi, Thu Apr-13-06 01:21 AM
no more drunken bloggings.

For serious.

That was pure comedy though so maybe I should say "keep it up".
44896, WHAT HAPPENED TO RESPECT.
Posted by InSOULated, Thu Apr-13-06 02:21 AM
Go on and hate. Hate all you want, if that's all you're gonna do. Give Kwe' some respect. I mean, y'all are sayin this f*cked up shit.. sayin' that him never hating on an album before is untruthful, but hey, that may just be him. For what I know, Talib's one of the most humble artists out there, and I give so much love and respect towards him. So what if someone doesn't hate on any album that comes out, tell me, so what. Are you tellin' me you know exactly what the man is feeling? That is some disrespect right there. You go out there and tell me how it feels to have someone say all that shit to you -- oh, but wait, you're not even an artist. A lot of you guys need a deeper understanding in all of this. THAT was HIS opinion, HIS OWN PERSPECTIVE. And in many ways, I think hes right. There's no album out there that can be that bad. For me-- for an album to be bad, is something like .. listening to fingernails goin against some chalkboard. That kinda shit. If it ain't hurtin your ear, THEN IT AINT BAD. How awful can you guys get with your damn words..
44897, he's mostly right, but shouldn't be so mad about it
Posted by dba_BAD, Thu Apr-13-06 02:26 AM
His whole point is that the artists are people but we attatch criticisms to them as if they are only a product. Valid, but really only matters if we were all speaking to these artists in person.

But a forum like this is public more or less, and exists to support anonymous commentary whatever it may be. Dumb ass shit should be expected, because dumbass people populate the world.

It's pretty simple. If Talib's not comfortable with letting the dumb shit roll off his back, he should just stay offline (which I guess he's done mostly, but these random rants are silly).
44898, RE: so Kweli must be a psychic.....
Posted by Delfunk35, Thu Apr-13-06 02:55 PM
because I usually can't tell whether an album is good till after I listen to it. And yeah, I started that post. I payed hard earned money for the album and have bought their previous works, I earned the right to give my opinion. Shit I've even seen those cats in concert several times. I use to be a big fan of Kweli also, before dude abandoned his audience and dropped two wack albums. He should concentrate more on his own album than defending one he hasn't even heard yet, clown.
44899, RE: so Kweli must be a psychic.....
Posted by qtiprick, Sun Apr-16-06 12:24 AM
>because I usually can't tell whether an album is good till
>after I listen to it. And yeah, I started that post. I payed
>hard earned money for the album and have bought their previous
>works, I earned the right to give my opinion. Shit I've even
>seen those cats in concert several times. I use to be a big
>fan of Kweli also, before dude abandoned his audience and
>dropped two wack albums. He should concentrate more on his own
>album than defending one he hasn't even heard yet, clown.

your proving his point right there, and as for abandoned his audience......please.....what you think hes a traitor cause he did a track with a mainstream rnb artist (blige) or is it because he just decided to drop a mixtape he had, which might i add is very good for the most part, that didnt have "exactly" what you were thinkin' it was gonna be at the time? Open your mind up, your actin like what these underground artists hate. Someone who thnks just because he/she decides to do their own thing, they're a traitor or they "abandoned" you. Its like a clingy girlfriend, I partially quote from Phonte, theyll love you, support you, and fuck you till no end but right when you wanna go and say, shoot pool with your frinds, they say, NOOOO dont leave me! youll neva come back!! Aint nobody dat can luhh you like me!!" .so show some respect.
44900, What happened in the Chatroom?
Posted by Navi, Thu Apr-13-06 02:58 AM
44901, hopefully it wasn't OKchat....
Posted by Earl Flynn, Thu Apr-13-06 01:55 PM
But I don't put nothing past OKP nowadays.
44902, Seems like Kweli only pays attention to the "haters" on this site....
Posted by OrangeMoon, Thu Apr-13-06 08:25 AM
and that's a shame since there are ALOT of OKPs that LOVE his work. It's unfortunate that some artists can't look past the haters and see the bigger picture....people love and appreciate what they do.

It just seems like a slap in the face when all Kweli ever discusses on this site is how much hate there is....how about recognizing the people who support you?

I mean everybody is not going to like you or respect the work that you do, that's just the way the world is. So why keep spending so much energy on those people....does it really matter if someone dislikes your material or M1's or whomever....you don't create for others you create for yourself and if people like it...great..if they don't...so what?

What you eat don't make me shit (c)Jay Z & Black Mama's all over the world

44903, RE: Seems like Kweli only pays attention to the "haters" on this site....
Posted by ps, Thu Apr-13-06 09:18 AM
I guess his favorite R&B song is Ralph Tresvant's "Sensitivity"

He's avoided chat rooms for 6 years because someone said something oh not so nice about him? Is he really from Brooklyn??
44904, RE: Seems like Kweli only pays attention to the "haters" on this site....
Posted by InSOULated, Thu Apr-13-06 10:09 AM
I think he does look past that, but there are times when shit like that really gets to you.
44905, Of course there's people here who love his work
Posted by prophet j, Sun Apr-16-06 11:47 AM
but you can't deny there's a lot of shitty criticism without any type of backup here too.

just offensive, not the least bit constructive

- - - - -

jy
1974-2006

peace & love
44906, well allow me to retort (c) sam jackson
Posted by lazyboi, Thu Apr-13-06 11:38 AM
dude. the only time u came on this site it seemed was

a. right before your album came out
b. somebody leaked your album
c. some bullshit about chi town dj 3rd rail

your manager or affiliate came on here threatening an okp because he had the get by remix before it was released. And dude hadn’t even posted it. He just said he had it.

The only time I heard u say okp on a song was “okayplayer hater” on an album that everybody KNEW was gonna be heard by everyone. I’m not as asshole, but I am gonna give it to you straight. After all the shit I mentioned above, you came with an album way below what your fans thought was your potential. I’ve said it once , ive said it a million times some of y’all are quick to run to 106 n park and try to get your stuff on rotation there (good luck) when u got fans right here. U got d’angelo fans, you got JFN fans, u got roots fans, etc… out of all those acts , there are a few people that probably u could reach where they’ll say. “hey u know what, maybe I will check out talib” I know cause I was like that with dilated and the JFN’s.

Then I saw u came back. I was like ok it’s a start he’s here and he’s not bitching….only a few days later to find this. How long have u been emceeing. I know the minute u signed your 1st record deal….there was at least one cat hating on you. you weren’t his flavor, jealousy, you got with his girl, you crushed his man in a battle…for whatever reason. The shit ain’t going no where. Platinum artists like kanye and jill get dissed here everyday too. It happens.

U need to start paying more attention to your fan base rather than your haters. Hell I got people at my job that, in there eyes, I can NEVER do anything right, but I still come to work and do my job. And I know rhyming is your job, however…so is entertaining. Some cats feeling they ain’t being entertained….go read when LL was going through this. The result was momma said knock u out.. u aint’ reached a million sold yet, I don’t think, so u need to work a lil harder. Jill doesn’t need to come here. They gona play her on bet and mtv…. But you…u got a chance to damn near effortlessly promote your stuff, but u are here shooting yourself in the foot.
1. by ignoring your true fans
2. by acknowledging haters..at the some time doing number 1

Stop slighting your fan base..and do like the rock says, “just bring it”. If u can’t see that you and mos’s last albums left a bad taste in your audience’s mouths after waiting for some good shit, then u must be blind.

I don’t run this site so this is jut my opinion. But if u gonna come here, then come. If u are not, then don’t. hell come in here, interact, and defend your music (?uest does that shit all the time lol)…or don’t. either way, stop crying about haters. I don’t know if u know this or not. But okayplayers probably provided a large number of your sales. Stop slighting.

Respectfully,

lazyboi

who sings "I B on that crytonite"? (c) WuGambina
44907, word
Posted by andrizzle, Thu Apr-13-06 12:03 PM
cause dudes who dissed kwe's last album STILL goin to see him at shows. people who hated mos' album still seein him at shows too.

these albums fuckin sucked.

but a lot of these 'haters' jus hatin on the albums themselves. it don't mean i ain't gon see black star rock the mic no more, and it dont mean im not gonna buy the next albums y'all put out. yeh, some people go overboard, but that's a very small minority.

the fans know what they want and although we can respect you tryna do different things we aint gon sugarcoat shit with "constructive" criticism. jus knowing a majority of your core fans disliking your album should be constructive in itself.
44908, double word
Posted by nextmovement, Fri Apr-14-06 12:34 AM
that was said oh so respectfully and logically and coherently and reasonably. well done, i agree with everything you said. kwe, just do your thing!
44909, triple
Posted by alindenver, Fri Apr-14-06 10:32 AM
44910, Constructive criticism isn't sugarcoating.
Posted by prophet j, Sun Apr-16-06 11:49 AM
if you dislike something you better have a good reason for why, rather than that it sucks donkey balls.

- - - - -

jy
1974-2006

peace & love
44911, dayum Lazy.
Posted by WuGambina, Fri Apr-14-06 09:28 AM
if Talib doesn't make another album ever again, he's still one of my top mcs. Brush ya shoulders off and pop yo collar Talib. You gon make it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
F*ck a Booty (c)Billionheiress
44912, hey i'm calling this one exactly how i see it. i'm sorry but
Posted by lazyboi, Fri Apr-14-06 09:47 AM
tell me one nice thing he's said about this site or the people on it. everytime he opens his mouth about this place or on this place he's bitching about something. AND making bland albums on top of that.

you know i bought his album, tried to like it, and now it's basically collecting dust. 13 bucks one, but that's a risk u take as a music consumer so i called it even. lol negro ain't about to get my 13 bucks for a bland album THEN keep bitching on top of that.

that's kinda like scott hastings bitching to the pistons over and over. (google) lol

44913, I agree with some of what u said, but I ain't read it all lol
Posted by Grand_Royal, Fri Apr-14-06 01:08 PM
This was a blog tho' right? It wasn't like he sent a flashing Inbox, like that album leak.

I like her bush
44914, ha ha it's ok it's me so u can trust i'm on point lol
Posted by lazyboi, Fri Apr-14-06 04:28 PM

44915, good shit Lay...
Posted by MikeLove, Sun Apr-16-06 11:17 PM
u dropped science like craig g & marley marl
i think in general people concern themselves too much with the hate
shake them niggaz off, call 'ye and do a 'mama'

actually, that might be dope if he did do like LL did with marley marl with Kanye
44916, People have to...
Posted by MJfromSouthBay, Thu Apr-13-06 11:54 AM
develop a tolerance for the negativity on the OKP boards. Talib split before he could develop that tolerance. But who could blame him? He, at the time, was probably incredibly passionate about what he was doing. For someone to chop him down like that was a mistake...an innocent mistake because you may expect Talib would have been prepared for it...but still a mistake by the insulter. JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE PART OF THIS OKAYPLAYER COMMUNITY, DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOU OWN THE ARTISTS.

Nobody's album is EVER that bad. The people who appreciate the artist with as much passion as those who hate on the artist need to create a new thread. Others who feel the same way ought to fill it with the same positivity and constructive criticism.

I whole heartedly agree with Talib's:

"But just before y'all get all opinionated, remember that m1 is not an idea, he is a person, who has given everything he can to make our lives and music better."

People need to understand the difference with artists that are asking to be hated and envied versus those trying to be uplifting. If you feeel like something was a waste of your money, think of it this way: It was a gamble to begin with.
44917, dude made a song about police killing people but he
Posted by lazyboi, Thu Apr-13-06 12:15 PM
still finds his way out in public where they are. i don't see dude staying cooped up in the house cause the cops are bad

44918, Huh? were you trying to make sense?
Posted by explizit, Thu Apr-13-06 05:26 PM
what does him having a line about cops killing his people have to do with him going out in public? He never said cops kill all black people? damn you sound dumb.
44919, shut the fuck up. i made a ridiculous statement to show how
Posted by lazyboi, Fri Apr-14-06 09:45 AM
ridiculous his ass sounds. except your ass didn't get it. well u got it, but u don't even know u got it.

he never said all cops kill all black people but he's implying that the majority of okayplayers disrespect the musicians, hence him not coming here and always dissing. get your head out of your ass..u can see better that way

44920, Uh, no, you shut the fuck up little pussy.
Posted by explizit, Fri Apr-14-06 04:01 PM
>ridiculous his ass sounds. except your ass didn't get it.
>well u got it, but u don't even know u got it.
>
>he never said all cops kill all black people but he's implying
>that the majority of okayplayers disrespect the musicians,
>hence him not coming here and always dissing. get your head
>out of your ass..u can see better that way
>
>
>
and is he wrong? goddamn you made no point at all dumbfuck. go back and get your ged.
44921, oooooh i guess u told me, joe....
Posted by lazyboi, Fri Apr-14-06 04:26 PM
44922, ok dumbass
Posted by explizit, Fri Apr-14-06 04:35 PM
keep making no sense. if you gonna post something be clear.
44923, damn i missed this . my line provoked thought, i'm truly
Posted by lazyboi, Fri Apr-14-06 07:29 PM
sorry u missed the comparison and resulted to insult ...cause u like kweli. i understand.

ok NOW i'm through

44924, oh ya, ok sean the bamma
Posted by explizit, Fri Apr-14-06 04:36 PM
44925, uhhh. your social security number it 648-98-9475!!!!! but
Posted by lazyboi, Fri Apr-14-06 04:41 PM
negro u came disrespectful 1st with that dumb shit. if u didn't agree or didn't see my point or even felt like i had none, learn how to debate without insults and with respect so that shit won't deteriorate to this point. i respect everybody here. YOU HEAR THAT KWELI?!!? EVEN YOU...YA CRYBABY!

i'm through with this convo.
p.s. that's not really his SSN, people

44926, See, even that lame joke went flat!!
Posted by explizit, Sat Apr-15-06 02:28 AM
wow posting a fake ss#!? you should think out these jokes before you post them. Good, you're done. Now go expand that little brain of yours. Really homie, You stupid as hell. Next time, try to make sense in your replies.
44927, RE: See, even that lame joke went flat!!
Posted by bassey3, Sat Apr-15-06 03:48 AM
come ooon, this is ridiculous.... both of you are fault tho.... grow up.
44928, both at fault? negro ain't nobody asked u nothin. i
Posted by lazyboi, Sat Apr-15-06 10:58 AM
i came out my mouth with one insult out of defense cause dude jumped at me sideways from the gate. and i'm done. i appreciate u tying to play peacemaker, but keep that bloody "both at fault, grow up" shit.

44929, ok dude, i have seen and read this reply. and u have the last word
Posted by lazyboi, Sat Apr-15-06 07:56 AM
*waves white flag*

44930, RE: Kweli on Proof and OKP's constant hating (myspace swipe)
Posted by musikluva, Thu Apr-13-06 12:15 PM
all valid points. the one thing to remember is that everyone is entitled to their opinions. it's how they present their opinions that makes ppl say, "oh, i see where you're coming from," or "this cat doesn't even know the half of the half."

about him coming on OKP...isn't this partially his site? my understanding is that the artist put up the money to keep the site up and running. if this is the case, any of the artist can come on here and say what the want. it's kind of like when you have your homies in your car and they say, "is it cool if i smoke a cig?" since it's your car you can yes or no because it's your property, not theirs. their $$ keeps this site up...

be as critical as you want, but make sure you back it up!!!!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
Tomorrow actually happend today but you planned for it yesterday.
Yesterday will soon be tomorrow so live your life today.
-Los
44931, RE: Kweli on Proof and OKP's constant hating (myspace swipe)
Posted by MJfromSouthBay, Thu Apr-13-06 12:37 PM
Reflection Eternal is an OkayArtist. That's Talib & Hi-Tek. Black Star & Talib Kweli are Spitkicker Artists.
44932, no he IS an ok artist
Posted by odangitzmike, Thu Apr-13-06 12:47 PM
last time i checked the artists section (about a minute ago) he was still listed as an OK artist. you can still be affiliated with spitkicker and be an okayplayer
44933, Kweli rant (if one can call it such a thing)
Posted by emahunn, Sun Apr-16-06 07:28 PM
Everyone makes valid points and I completely agree that Kweli needs to focus on his fans. However, hating is not needed. Naturally, hating is in our society, however, there is not a valid reason to justify hating nor leave such hate unadressed. I feel that while constructive criticism is needed (for it was Malcolm el Hajj Malik el Shabazz who once said that criticism is needed and that no one is above criticism) if one does not have any criticism to help the artist progress and make any positive alterations in their craft, then the negative criticism is not needed. I feel that we all understand that artist are people, but we must also understand that those who hate do not represent the true fans who support the artist. As I have stated earlier, I feel that it is important that Kweli focus on those who support his music. However, I feel that everyone needs to address the haters to help the haters gain a better understanding of themselves and the artist. There are those one can not change, however, it does not mean that we discontinue with our efforts to try to make a potent change in our society. Let continue to have complex analysis instead of a black and white view of things. God bless and POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!
44934, lol
Posted by HighVoltage, Thu Apr-13-06 01:37 PM
http://www.okayplayer.com/artists.htm

3rd column, second one down.
44935, he needs to take the blinders off
Posted by HighVoltage, Thu Apr-13-06 01:34 PM
he rarely visits these boards, and just assumes everyone hates on him.

i guess he never saw any of mike check's posts.

or maybe hes mad at the photoshopped kweli without a hat pics we did.

is there hate? yes.

does EVERYONE here hate him? absolutely not.

is he ignoring those fans by spittin lyrics like "okayplayerhaters" and making blogs like this? yessir.

i understand where he is coming from, but he cant generalize all of okayplayer based on just a few people who hate on him.

If you take a consensus, i believe kweli haters are in the minority.

Somebody post a poll and prove me wrong... or prove me right so he doesnt need to blog about content like this.
44936, RE: he needs to take the blinders off
Posted by musikluva, Thu Apr-13-06 01:47 PM
well said...

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
Tomorrow actually happend today but you planned for it yesterday.
Yesterday will soon be tomorrow so live your life today.
-Los
44937, RE: he needs to take the blinders off
Posted by beautifulboogieman, Thu Apr-13-06 02:11 PM
"and the award for this years best avi goes to....

high voltage."

*cheers*

onto the post. I can understand how kweli be mad. Its so easy for people to hate sitting safely behind their computer screens. They dont have an "image" like kwe or the rest of the "known" people on these boards. But as long as no one is saying ish to his face, i wouldnt take it to seriously.

44938, RE: so is kweli psychic.....
Posted by Delfunk35, Thu Apr-13-06 03:06 PM
because I usually can't tell whether an album is good till after I listen to it. And yeah, I started that post. I payed hard earned money for the album and have bought their previous works, I earned the right to give my opinion. Shit I've even seen those cats in concert several times. I use to be a big fan of Kweli also, before dude abandoned his audience and dropped two wack albums. He should concentrate more on his own album than defending one he hasn't even heard yet, clown.

44939, RE: so is kweli psychic.....
Posted by The Mish, Thu Apr-13-06 03:17 PM
but what's the point in just saying 'this album is terrible' and not giving any details. that's just a brain-fart, there's no point in posting it. if you think it sucks you should say so, but you should also provide some info about what's so bad about it.

>because I usually can't tell whether an album is good till
>after I listen to it. And yeah, I started that post. I payed
>hard earned money for the album and have bought their previous
>works, I earned the right to give my opinion. Shit I've even
>seen those cats in concert several times. I use to be a big
>fan of Kweli also, before dude abandoned his audience and
>dropped two wack albums. He should concentrate more on his own
>album than defending one he hasn't even heard yet, clown.
>
>
>
44940, Right About Now
Posted by bones, Thu Apr-13-06 03:31 PM
considerin his songwritin, lyrikal ability, beat choices, and interview personality Kweli is one of my top 3 emcees. BS wasn't his best work songwritin wise i don't think, maybe not even beat wise, even tho there was some bangers on there, but lyrically...there's nothin negative u can say about that album. I like how he challenged himself on tracks like work it out, (that's some hard shit to spit) and even we know, where he kept the rhymes real simple, and still had hot lines, "the harder i run to you, the farther we become, it's like my heart is part of some movie that hadn't yet begun." I can see how there can be hate on him, but just like i did right here, u can be constructive without comin off as a hater, just by thinkin first....

Peace
44941, RE: why should I be more constructive...
Posted by Delfunk35, Thu Apr-13-06 06:43 PM
I don't owe it to him to list numerous things that are wrong about it, I don't have all week. he doesn't pay me to tell him technically what's wrong with it. Anyways, my intention on the original post was not to critique that garbage of an album but rather question the standards regarding the quality of music Okayplayer now advertises. Example, look at the banner on the top of your screen right now (THE BUBBA ONE).
44942, come on man...
Posted by HighVoltage, Thu Apr-13-06 08:48 PM
>question the standards regarding the quality of music
>Okayplayer now advertises. Example, look at the banner on the
>top of your screen right now (THE BUBBA ONE).

there were numerous threads already explaining the Bubba banner.

bottom line is he isnt associated with okayplayer and its advertising revenue... would you rather pay monthly bills for this site to exist?
44943, go fuck yourself
Posted by shockzilla, Sat Apr-15-06 06:15 PM
you're a terrible poster
44944, oh gotdamn lol ha ha
Posted by lazyboi, Sun Apr-16-06 12:26 PM

44945, i think he's in a crappy state cos of Dilla's and now Proof's death
Posted by araQual, Sun Apr-16-06 02:10 AM
the anger probly hit him harder and he blogged it.
it is, however, some immature shit. it seems like whenever he does mention Okayplayer or comes around the boards, he's talking shit about US. if he chooses to ignore the fanbase u claim is in the majority around here, then isn't that his own damn fault?

let's also think about posts in general, and what kind of posts are gonna be worth participating in. love-fest/apreciation posts are nice, but it's ususally all praise. there's little discourse, it's pretty one-way. but in a hate post, or one thats a little less vengeful and could be considered constructive criticism, ur gonna get more viewpoints, more opinions and more heated debates. it just makes for a more interesting post overall, dont u think? i mean as long as it doesn't get silly. then again we can't all post with logic behind our reasoning like an Afkap, or a buildingblock, or a jambone etc.

im not even completely sure what the consensus is on Kweli anymore. i just know he doesn't seem as popular as he was back in the Reflection Eternal days. and i think anyone who is hating on him is doing so in regards to his releases. his live show is pretty dope. it's the music he puts out that's disappointing people.
yet, as much any okp can do to criticise Kweli, Kweli HIMSELF is facilitating more hate by spouting off in hissy-fits like this one. i mean he sounds like a CHILD. a naive one at that. he can't seem to grasp that there's a whole world out there ready and willing to open their mouth, or wiggle their fingers on a keyboard and say something good or bad about him.

watever hate there exists, Kweli is not doing himself or his fans any favours by speaking on it like a bitch.

V.
44946, On the real...
Posted by truth0ne SGC, Thu Apr-13-06 09:11 PM
We are but a fraction of his fanbase.

The same shit is prolly being said by many more people outside of OKP, but here is the only place where those words linger for all to read.

You gotta learn to roll with the punches, fam.
44947, i think kweli is right on point....
Posted by tonywashington, Thu Apr-13-06 09:53 PM
i feel there are way too many cats on here who hate just because it seems to be the cool thing to do on this site at times. in addition, if you are going to offer criticism (sp?) about somebody or something make it constructive. we are all suppose to be adults here so lets act like it. i know its unrealistic to expect this but that is just how i feel.
44948, His other fans must think we suck.. : (
Posted by BarTek, Thu Apr-13-06 10:29 PM
@}-,-`-

He looks determined without being ruthless
Something heroic in this man, there's a courage about him
Doesn't look like a killer
Comes across so calm, acts like he has a dream
Full of passion
44949, OKP IS NOT A HOMOGENOUS COMMUNITY
Posted by Pinko_Panther, Fri Apr-14-06 08:07 AM
Kweli, if you are reading this then tell me how are you -- a revolutionary emcee who knows how whole communities get demonized everyday based on the perceived actions of a few -- going to condemn a whole community of people who really do love you. In the 1980s, Ronald Reagan condemned all single mothers on welfare by demonizing them all as "welfare queens" who abused the system. Never did he mention all those millions of poverty stricken people whose only means of survival was access to social security. I'm not sayin' that you are wilfully demonizing us all like Ronnie did, but you are blindly painting us all with the same brush. For real, we have black folk, white folk, brown folk, yellow folk, working-class folk, filthy capitalist folk, white capitalists, black capitalists, and broke asses who set aside fifteen bucks on release day to hear what you have created. In response to your "bad experience" and your reaction to that dick who doesn't know an M1 from a Sticman, all i can say is no homo. No homo as in we don't all homogenously act like irrational punks. We are not all a single, unified community of "Okayplayerhaters", even though most of us do have something to say.

No, I don't find you to arrogant. But I do see someone who, like myself, is so insecure that you are blinded to all the love that is around you. I know myself, that I need to take the words of haters with a grain of salt or else I will lose focus of those who contribute beauty to my life. With that said, some people who are critical of me also have very valid things to say that can help me improve at whatever I do. That kind of criticism is derived from love.
44950, lol wait... he aint even heard m1s full album?
Posted by Deluge, Fri Apr-14-06 08:57 AM
44951, and there you have it.
Posted by mochalox, Fri Apr-14-06 09:07 AM
n/m
44952, Would Kweli sell more albums if he cow-towed it to the OKP Message Boards?
Posted by funbox, Fri Apr-14-06 09:25 AM
I'm really curious (not trying to be funny). What percentage of people actually read the boards unless there's a link off the front page? Does it actually have a tangible affect on popularity or record sales?
44953, 'cow-tow'? well go ask common. that negro got his 1st
Posted by lazyboi, Fri Apr-14-06 10:15 AM
gold album after joining up here. and i personally would never have considered copping dilated if it wasnt' for this site. same for the JFN's

44954, Com went gold cos of kanye, not OKP
Posted by The Mish, Fri Apr-14-06 11:08 AM
44955, I don't think he is talkin' about that album
Posted by Grand_Royal, Fri Apr-14-06 01:05 PM

I like her bush
44956, *sigh* why do i even bother lol
Posted by lazyboi, Fri Apr-14-06 04:27 PM

44957, HA!
Posted by wise_cracker, Fri Apr-14-06 10:06 PM
son...
44958, Grown ass man actin like he's 12....
Posted by mcdeezjawns, Fri Apr-14-06 10:41 AM
People are hating because he's providing them with garbage
People are hating on the new kwe and mos cause its garbation..not cause they have some deep seeded resentment towards them
They both...fell....off....hard
and now he's gonna use a blog as his weapon?
haha
44959, ...
Posted by Beau, Fri Apr-14-06 11:20 AM
Personally have to agree with the statements made.

I'm sure every artist at OKP takes their work seriously ... and dumbass opinions and thoughts that either have no valid argument backing them up must just come across as insulting ... I know it would to be me. Personally I visit the forums mainly to read but a lot of members post their 2 cents about everything, and their 2 cents aren't even worth 0.00002 cents, it would be better if they knew when to hold they peace.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, therefore, "I liked...", "I did not like ..." but I dunno. Most of us visiting this website don't personally know any of the artists. But some of us do. Especially the artists themselves, and I'm sure they read these thoughtless opinions a lot differently. So it's easy for somebody to be like, "whatever Talib". I think I've seen a few posts to that effect already.

Love.
44960, talib hasnt been relevant since black star
Posted by sunchild, Fri Apr-14-06 10:57 AM
44961, RE: talib hasnt been relevant since black star
Posted by Skillz, Fri Apr-14-06 11:28 AM
Wow ...yall can be cruel sometimes I admit it. I swear that they reason yall make some of these statements is because it's a 50 % chance that the artist you talking about is gonna read it. It's just music yall...thats all it is...either you like it or you dont and your entitled to your own opinion. For instance I just made a song that I'm sure most of the people on OKP boards will hate...but guess what I dont really give a fuck. I like it. If the Roots ever do BEP #'s this place will be a war zone! Lol
44962, *hugs all okayartists*
Posted by WuGambina, Fri Apr-14-06 11:47 AM
I still wub you :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
F*ck a Booty (c)Billionheiress
44963, I blame free downloads
Posted by ummah1421, Sun Apr-16-06 12:50 PM
People don't respect free stuff, and all the okayartist do is give to us.

Do your thing Kwa
44964, lol@an artist acting like he is the only one that needs to like his music
Posted by sunchild, Fri Apr-14-06 11:50 AM
fugga outta here
you either trying to move units or you arent
if you making music just for yourself.....hahaha
at the end of the day we are the ones buying the albums
we vote with our dollars
your shit is wack
it will stay on the shelf
imma say what i want to say
suck that shit up and make better music
of go get a day job
the consumer is feeding yall
yall seem to forget that shit
44965, shut ur ol' punk ass GD posting ass up
Posted by eclipsedInI, Fri Apr-14-06 12:04 PM
lol
44966, nigga shut up before i vote you off the island
Posted by sunchild, Fri Apr-14-06 12:10 PM
lmao!
44967, all i have to say is
Posted by hypnotic, Fri Apr-14-06 01:36 PM
:)~

http://www.re-nyc.natralyght.com
44968, "Wrong, wrong!" (c) Charlie Murphy
Posted by rick, Fri Apr-14-06 05:59 PM
>Wow ...yall can be cruel sometimes I admit it. I swear that
>they reason yall make some of these statements is because it's
>a 50 % chance that the artist you talking about is gonna read
>it.

i'm getting frustrated with okartists compaining about the way we only complain about them. i read a ton of posts here every day that are positive. i post positive things all the time.

i think the reason people make negative posts isn't because there's a 50% chance the artists will respond to it. they do it because there is a significantly higher chance that an artist will REPLY to it.

when an artist does this, you encourage people to post uber-negative shit by rewarding them for it (and having okartists to your reply is a reward for these cats, hateful as they may appear to be). you also encourage lurkers to enter and add their $.02 to the conversation, upping the thread to the top of the boards. interaction with you guys is one of the big selling points of okp.

it's amazing to post a question about your favorite band and have a grammy award-winning musician answer it. this is an experience you can't get anywhere else.

so STOP giving that shit away! don't reply, or even click on negative shit. i saw the "this m1 album is terrible" post and i skipped it. you know why? because that's fucking retarded. there is no way m1's album is terrible. considering how incredible dead prez is, i imagine at worst it's above average.

but if i post that, there's no way talib (or whoever) would read my post. on the other hand, i did eventually go into the m1 bashing post because he mentioned it. im not trying to sound like a dick rider or anything, but i love kweli's catalogue, and his opinions are important to me. so when he mentioned that shit, my interest was piqued.

and im not trying to say to only find uber-complementative shit and have a big fucking kumbiyah festival. a lot of cats on here can seriously debate what they like about music and what they don't. hell, this WEBSITE has us write reviews on albums that come out. you clearly value our opinions a lot.

engage with these folks, you can't judge a book by it's cover, but a lot of times you can judge a post by its title. "this m1 album is terrible" is not intelligent. if he had said some shit like "you know, im not really feeling this m1 album yet, please discuss." or "tell me why you think this m1 album is good", anything that reveals a bit of humility, a hint of intelligence, or an inkling of respect for the artists whose website budget funds these boards, then get in there.

there is more constructive criticism and intelligent praise around here than there is unwarranted negativity. this many people don't waste their workday and significantly reduce their productivity/gpa/whatever because they hate this kind of music, we come here because we fucking love it.

>It's just music yall...thats all it is...either you like
>it or you dont and your entitled to your own opinion. For
>instance I just made a song that I'm sure most of the people
>on OKP boards will hate...but guess what I dont really give a
>fuck. I like it. If the Roots ever do BEP #'s this place will
>be a war zone! Lol

we are entitled to our opinion, but when you "up" a post's accessibility by viewing or replying to it, you are in a sense promoting or endorsing it. express your opinion by seeking out one of the plentiful intelligent dialogues that abound and ignoring the idiots.

agreed on the war zone, im both in such a state of anticipation about game theory, but im so scared that this place will fucking suck after they get the def jam treatment. i want the roots to succeed, but it sucks that i can't keep them to myself either.
44969, Shut the fuck up while you still have the ovaries...
Posted by The3rdOne, Wed Apr-19-06 08:21 AM
because when they are gone, you'll realize that the only motherfuckers who took the L, are the one whos are the consumers.

44970, but on the real is Lindsey Lohan as upset about the shit she be gettin?
Posted by eclipsedInI, Fri Apr-14-06 11:43 AM
i understand it's hip hop

it's ur music

it's ur life

but people hate kinda like your father would in a dysfunctional home

he thinkin' that shit'll make you tougher

& more prepared
44971, If I dont like it, I dont Like it, That don't mean that I'm Hatin
Posted by ElaghiSincere33, Fri Apr-14-06 12:00 PM
You get back what you put out
44972, we got lupe now, we dont need talib no more anyways
Posted by sunchild, Fri Apr-14-06 12:12 PM
44973, RE: we got lupe now, we dont need talib no more anyways
Posted by Skillz, Fri Apr-14-06 01:05 PM
Lupe will never be Kwe..his feet aint even wet. Or even damp for that matter. Kwe is laughing right now, so am I for that matter. And record sales dont really mean that you cant live off ya craft playboy. I cant think of too many people on this site that have sold a ka gillion amount of records but they seem to know how to make sure they survive off thier craft. This aint a day job...its a life job.
44974, the fact that lupe feet aint even wet and he ALREADY better than
Posted by sunchild, Fri Apr-14-06 01:16 PM
kweli
is a testament that talib has fallen off his game
hard
he better get on that gary coleman hustle and get a day job
he gone need it soon
44975, no one likes lupe but okp and reebok
Posted by hypnotic, Fri Apr-14-06 01:37 PM

http://www.re-nyc.natralyght.com
44976, lol, you're joking right?
Posted by BarTek, Fri Apr-14-06 01:47 PM

@}-,-`-

He looks determined without being ruthless
Something heroic in this man, there's a courage about him
Doesn't look like a killer
Comes across so calm, acts like he has a dream
Full of passion
44977, she has to be
Posted by sunchild, Fri Apr-14-06 01:50 PM
44978, werd
Posted by eclipsedInI, Fri Apr-14-06 02:09 PM
44979, it's ok she's from NY......a lil midwest hate is healthy for them
Posted by lazyboi, Fri Apr-14-06 04:33 PM
lol

44980, he shouldnt be laughin right now
Posted by Deluge, Fri Apr-14-06 02:16 PM
he should be making some decent tracks instead of that bunch of crap he been coming with the past yrs

apparently he still has the ability come dope hence the dangerdoom and jaylib joints

on top of that his earlier post on here doesnt really make me believe hes laughin over this either
44981, Crap?..
Posted by InSOULated, Fri Apr-14-06 02:23 PM
..are you serious?
44982, my guess is you didnt listen to him in the rawkus days
Posted by Deluge, Fri Apr-14-06 02:33 PM
44983, dude i know cats that was straight PISSED after BS. i mean even
Posted by lazyboi, Fri Apr-14-06 04:42 PM
_ _ _ _ _ said it wasn't a good album. u know what, i gotta stop using him in my arguments. lol

44984, ^^^like this negro right here^^^ guess why i bought his album?
Posted by lazyboi, Fri Apr-14-06 04:32 PM
he's good, the muhfucka brings it on the lyrics. and kweli frankly has fallen a bit lyrically, and that muhfucka is here interacting. and it's not just to log on and start bitching about shit.

44985, Lupe. I don't get his hype. Sound like 'round the way emcee to me.
Posted by FireBrand, Mon Apr-17-06 03:42 PM
Every other nice round the way emcee to ever grace a mic is what he sound like to me.

I'm not saying he's not aiight, cus he is. He just can NEVER be, not with his current body of work even COMPARED to Kweli.

No way, no how.

Not on a lucky day, with a lunar eclipse while eating lucky charms, on the 13th day of the 7th month in the year of the Dragon.

www.myspace.com/northernarcatl
www.last.fm/user/KwadwoJuma/
44986, This is sad:
Posted by Andi3124, Fri Apr-14-06 12:43 PM
>What have you done? Who are you? Where's your album, your
>double time flows? Oh, no one knows who you are, so shut the fuck up.

As an artist, you have to be open to dialogue that's not always going to be positive or supportive. There will be negative critique at times, as to slip into the realm of objective relativism (ie, 'It is good/important/quality, I just don't like it'...) would be do an injustice to the work, the artist, the community, and the art form in general.

One must be prepared that when one submit's their work to the world, the world might not always like it.

It would seem that it would be more fruitful to prepare oneself for the possiblity of negative critique than to throw juvenile insults.

Kweli needs to grow up and realize that he's submiting his work to the world, not his family and friends.

Andrea
44987, The internet is a tool for ANYONE to voice their opinions...
Posted by manythoughts, Fri Apr-14-06 01:13 PM
as far as the fans/listeners being jealous, that might be partly true. However, people have a right to their opinion regardless of their abilities to produce a product of their own.

I cannot direct, produce, or edit a film; but I can tell you without a doubt that Francis Ford Coppolla's 'Godfather' films are better than his film 'Jack.'
44988, WHOAAA!!....so wtf is wrong with what he said though!?
Posted by housenegro, Fri Apr-14-06 01:23 PM
1) Talib and Mos will NEVER fall off. PERIOD. the one thing i HAVE noticed about OKP is that you cats are just as fickle as the people yall critisize...yeah this aint the mid to late 90's, rawkus ain't around anymore, lyricist lounge ain't around, the radio and BET isn't showing that much love to non-crossover artists, but the shit is still fire MUSICALLY. if it wasn't then these dudes wouldn't even have deals right now...just because some white guys in suits behind closed doors don't see their music as whats hot right now doesn't mean it isn't...

2) M-1 *{{{{IS}}}}* an ill ass emcee. PERIOD. I Don't agree with everything he says, but all you have to do is listen to his catalogue...dead prez are ill too...again, If some shit isn't mainstream then it isn't good...even here on okayplayer that shit flies...

3) DIPSET GETS MORE LOVE IN THE LESSON THAN OKAYARTISTS. I don't blame kweli for not visiting these boards more...
44989, RE: WHOAAA!!....so wtf is wrong with what he said though!?
Posted by Abstrakt, Fri Apr-14-06 01:43 PM
Constructive? Um... 'Let's Get Free' is ten times better then RBG BECAUSE:
I related to the topics better on the first album
The first one wasn't as "hard"

I'm not "hating" on M-1, I just like 'Let's Get Free' better. AND, I was dissapointed that he didn't move towards that way of thinking.
44990, LMFAO!! ...Oh, I forgot. I can't have opinions, but of course Kweli can.
Posted by cinderblock, Fri Apr-14-06 02:14 PM
44991, I personally think sunchild needs to check what she
Posted by roderick, Fri Apr-14-06 02:57 PM
is saying because

first off you are not even relevent because you are just stating an open ended opinion not even worth relevance because you have nothing to back it up with.

I notice that alot with people who post in here. If you want to talk music TALK MUSIC dont sit up there and say

Talib hasnt been relevant since Blackstar.

Dude has been killing stages across the US and even the world. His albums have flourised because of listeners not because you heard it. There is a difference.

listening is an art

peace.
44992, stfu
Posted by sunchild, Fri Apr-14-06 03:00 PM
44993, Shut THEEE fuck up.
Posted by hideyaface, Sun Apr-16-06 03:48 PM
44994, RE: Kweli on Proof and OKP's constant hating (myspace swipe)
Posted by djembe99, Fri Apr-14-06 02:51 PM
THANK YOU KWELI, THE TRUTH HAS BEEN TOLD. WE DO HATE ON HERE WAY TOO MUCH
44995, lol @ kwe talking shit about okayplayer
Posted by dgonsh, Fri Apr-14-06 03:24 PM
when its mostly okayplayers that visit his blog anyway.
44996, RE: lol @ kwe talking shit about okayplayer
Posted by aolhater, Fri Apr-14-06 04:26 PM
ok first off if kwe dont lke what someone is saying walk away and the internet is even easier STOP reading really if i had posted something like that everyone would be clowning me including skills i think kwe is a little too sensitive i dont know what happened in the chat room i dont care i dont care what he says about okp what i do care about is this hip hop i think skill and kwe should record an album together on some tag team shit i think it would work
44997, respect due, but cats like Kweli are just as guilty as everyone else
Posted by Jon, Fri Apr-14-06 06:21 PM
many OkayFans: far too much pointless hating, close-mindedness, and calling other people dickriders when they say something nice about an artist

many OkayArtists: never give those of us who praise them the time of day, only taking note of and replying to the hate and steady looking right past the love...basically passively calling us dickriders as well

so some fans make posts about the aspects about your music that irks them

anything you say about okayplayer fans is ALSO the stuff that irks you.

they don't recognize the good, but niether do you.
44998, RE: respect due, but cats like Kweli are just as guilty as everyone else
Posted by Skillz, Fri Apr-14-06 07:01 PM
Didnt Kanye come on here once and practically beg for yall to support him? Before yall flip on me? I just wanna know if he did, I remember hearing something about that. Dan? Please confirm
44999, okp's rode hard for kanye....till he blew up lol.THEN the hate
Posted by lazyboi, Fri Apr-14-06 07:16 PM
began. fuck that i'm midwest and that negro is talented....but i'l before the 1st tone to say when i feel an artist is not up to his potential IMHO. *cough* common. but i still got love and bought all that negroes albums

45000, As far as I know 'Ye aint ever been on this board...
Posted by DJ Contact, Sat Apr-15-06 11:57 AM
45001, RE: As far as I know 'Ye aint ever been on this board...
Posted by Skillz, Mon Apr-17-06 10:40 AM
Well he's damn sure registered...or was at one point.
45002, of course artists really want our support. what i'm saying is
Posted by Jon, Sun Apr-16-06 08:20 AM
while its sad and true that many fan heads here focus on the negatives of an artist, many artist here focus on the negative fans. of course they WANT our support, but how often do you see kweli recognize or show love to a "Talib is great" post? its not just him either, i think its human nature to tend to focus on the things that bother you and take the rest for granted...but all i'm saying is both sides are just as guilty of it, and I get peeved by all of it.

i mean there's a lot of great praise given to so many artists, but you'd NEVER see one of these artists make a myspace blog quoting the wonderful things somebody said about their stuff, and you hardly ever IF ever see those artists enter THOSE posts. cats just get dismissed as dickriders by other fans, and the show goes on.

I'd say you're actually an exception to this rule, but for the most part: for every fan who only gives attention to the negative, there's an artist who does the same.
45003, fuck all of you guys
Posted by msclman99, Fri Apr-14-06 07:09 PM
he is right. if you cant appreciate the music, dont come to the boards. no album is horrible and the only negative feedback you can give on an album should be intellectual criticism. you have to respect anyone who makes any type of music because they are doing something they love. the artists are making music not only for themselves, but for us as fans and if we dont like it, we cant bash it. most americans are naive, arrogant, unappreciative and stupid.
45004, i feel you man
Posted by bigboy, Fri Apr-14-06 07:17 PM
its like you cant defend anyone anymore

http://www.myspace.com/bigboy_aka_the_truth1on1
45005, snnnt snnnttttkkk kkrrrrt BWAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!
Posted by lazyboi, Fri Apr-14-06 07:18 PM
> no album is horrible

>> the artists
>are making music not only for themselves, but for us as fans
>
.>>and if we dont like it, we cant bash it.

.most americans are
>naive, arrogant, unappreciative and stupid.

HA HA HA HA this is an NRN post right here

no reply needed

45006, perfect example?
Posted by msclman99, Wed Apr-19-06 06:13 PM
i am an american
45007, and if Kwe can't appreciate all the praise that IS given to him, what?
Posted by Jon, Sun Apr-16-06 08:25 AM
when do you see dude come in and show some love to a post praising his work? when do you see myspace blogs quoting his supporters, and going in depth about what he loves about "so&so" fan?

you have fans AND artists here that tend to only get typing when there's something negative to say.

both are guilty
45008, RE: and if Kwe can't appreciate all the praise that IS given to him, what?
Posted by msclman99, Wed Apr-19-06 06:10 PM
i thought about that after the fact and do agree. although i think there is more "hating" and it stands out more than the positive comments.
45009, Senstive thugs, they all need hugs
Posted by dead prezident, Fri Apr-14-06 07:21 PM
Man, no disrespect to Kweli; please take this as constructive criticism because I respect Kweli, even if I'm not really a fan anymore.

Stop being so sensitive. People in the public eye will be criticised and criticised hard by people who consider themselves fans. It comes with the territory. Develop a thick skin and keep it moving. Ain't no need to cry about it, sheesh. It's like the nigga's asking for a hug because his feelings have been hurt. And I don't mean no disrespect because Kweli is obviously very honest with his art and it comes from a true place, but come on. People will have opinions and it can sting to hear them, especially if they are not constructive. But what are you going to do, take your little ball and run home, "I'm not trying to play with you anymore because you made fun of my rapping." The man acts like he never had a negative thing to say about anybody else's work. Everybody has. It's part of having critical thinking skills. If there are ignorant comments, you gotta understand that doesn't represent all fans, only a small segment who want to get under your skin. By crying, you're allowing them to do just that. It's like when my older brothers used to say things just to get a rise out of me and I would play into their hands by crying and lashing out. They found this funny, and shit, it was. Of course I was seven and not a grown ass man with a career and a family. There have to be enough positive fans and supporters out there to drown out the negative choruses. I know there are, people love Talib Kweli. Shit there is even someone floating around this board with the name feelintalibkweli. lol.

It takes a lot of grace to keep on going in the face of vitrolic or unfair criticism than it does to cry about it. The public only sees a part of an artist. Why show them the whiny Kanye-like side? It's grating and weak. Positive comments about an artist's output are earned, not given. That's just reality. Earn it and don't beg for it. I don't mean to be harsh. Let me say something positive. Kweli is a rapper's rapper. Every flow he's ever put on record it's as if he mastered them intuitively before spitting them.

BTW, M1's album is that fire.
45010, was kweli this mad while we were all praising RE and diggin
Posted by lazyboi, Fri Apr-14-06 07:39 PM
his stage show? and dammit didn't 80% of common's criticism stop once he dropped a nice album again .....(AND put on a decent pair of pants)? lol

45011, ok you people is full of sh#t
Posted by aolhater, Fri Apr-14-06 08:05 PM
ok im a big kwe fan but the way yall talk you act like no one has ever put out a bad album

some shit dont need explainations
in the words of zoidberg booooo your music is bad and you should feel bad

if it sucks it sucks i wanna see these same people defend artist they dont like with the same defense no album is garabe i think i need to make a phone call to those laffy taffy boys and invite them here and see what kind of love do they get
45012, i was going to make a serious reply to you
Posted by Deluge, Fri Apr-14-06 09:03 PM
but please learn to spell first
45013, RE: Kweli on Proof and OKP's constant hating (myspace swipe)
Posted by Jeepneyclothing.com, Fri Apr-14-06 08:41 PM
I understand what your saying Kweli...people don't understand that what you guys are doing is bigger than music, your music changes lives for the better...but we appreciate what you do, being creative and telling us your truths...It's a true talent to be able to write millions of raps from all the albums you've made, collaborations, etc...but yeah, I got to get back to work...thanks for the music and take care...
45014, RE: Kweli on Proof and OKP's constant hating (myspace swipe)
Posted by kicksnarehats, Fri Apr-14-06 08:46 PM
haters fucking lost this year. Are haters on tour rock stages...fuck no...do haters have fans who listen to everyword they say FUCK NO. Dude i aiin't down for the band but the drummer from hoobastank laid it out pretty clear he said "who cares about the critics I guarentee my job is a 1000 times better than theirs"

and thats fuckin true.
45015, Grid luv
Posted by please kill me, Fri Apr-14-06 10:15 PM
"Any country that enjoys fighting and bitching as a recreation as much as America does will always be, in some way or another, walking along a knife's edge. It's a nation that spends its afternoons watching white trash throw chairs at each other on Jerry Springer, its drive time listening to the conservative rantings of this or that hysterical political demagogue, and its late night hours composing feverish blog entries full of anonymous screeds and denunciations. All this shit is harmless enough so long as the power comes on every morning, fresh milk makes it to the shelves, there's a dial tone and your yard isn't underwater. But it becomes a problem when the magic grid goes down and suddenly there's not a lot between you and whomever you happen to get off on hating."
45016, Not that he'll read this but...
Posted by jiggyjazzman, Fri Apr-14-06 10:32 PM
The truth is Kwe, you gotta let things go sometimes man. Folks is gonna hate, some will criticize-- constructively and some not. It bes like that sometimes. I have mad respect for you as an artist, even though I haven't bought anything since the jawn with Waiting for the DJ. Honestly, I'm waiting for your next BlackStar jawn because I truly believe you and Mos create something special everytime y'all share the mic. I like the Reflection Eternal jawn but nothing hit me like BlackStar. I love Mos too, loved both his solo jawns but BlackStar was the nicest. The truth is I know what it's like to get hated on. As an artist (or one who was on his way), I experienced hate with my crew because we tried to do something different when everyone else was doing the same thing. But then, I also got love from people. I found we had a target audience and I knew I could count on them for real feedback-- positive, negative, whatever. These were folks who knew me personally, people who had listened to my crew before, folk who knew what we were trying to do. I say that to say there's always gonna be haters, that's the way it is. But ya folks know you. Cats who've been down from the beginning, they listen, they dissect, they relate to what you have to say. I love BlackStar because the music spoke to me and still does. Respiration is still one of my favorite songs because it truly speaks to me. Thieves in the Night is nice because your verse was one I rewound and memorized-- that's just how hard it hit me.

What am I saying? I'm not trying to tell you to go back to 1997 or 98 or 99. What I'm saying is folk like me-- we looking, listening, waitin' for something that's gonna hit us like that. And f'real, I know there's alot of folk like me and the cat that was saying not liking an lp won't stop us from going to a show. I still think you're flow is alot better live than it is on record and that's from seeing you like 5 or 6 years ago. But, as a fan, I'm entitled to my opinion. I could tell you how much I liked RE and BlackStar over Quality and tell you about it in a positive manner. But you may feel differently. I liked all the Roots jawns exvept Phrenology. ? may not like hearing that but again, my opinion. I enjoyed all of OutKast's except Stankonia-- my opinion. I'm entitled to it as you are to yours. I do agree hatin' just for the sake of hatin' is stupid. I wouldn't criticize an album I haven't thoroughly listened to. I wouldn't personally attack an artist unless it was warranted. But I think you should give okayplayers a li'l more of a chance. They ain't all bad
45017, Listened to 'Ms. Hill' again...
Posted by funbox, Sat Apr-15-06 12:32 AM
...and it made me kinda sad that Kweli thinks people hate on him and don't appreciate his music. BS/RE are my favorites too but I still love him and he's still on my would-buy first day with DP, Comm, Mos (I might wait to find out if its a rap album first though), Technique, etc.. Ms. Hill was a great song and I couldn't really think of any artist that would make it. No matter what album you like or the chronology of your favorites, Kweli has a unique voice in hip hop that I'd definately miss if he stopped making music.

I don't really pay much attention to the tide of OKP or have any idea of whether or not its an actual representation of music fans out there (like polling GW Bush's popularity in a Middle Eastern restaurant and ignoring the South or something) but is there anyway that its just a discussion of higher level hip hop? Like every post is prefaced with "We're talkin about the quality of the 98-99th percentile of hip hop and these are our opinions on it...?" Cause I mean people are always gonna wanna discuss music and I assume that OKP has a higher standard than Joe Blow on the street and wanna discuss shit based on that standard. I know people might get carried away with that and shit but is it really as bad as he says?

Either way, the Okayplayer-haters are crazy if they don't think Kweli succeeding is a good thing. I don't see a One Man Army solo album dropping and getting as much pub or Immortal Technique being the most famous rapper no one's heard of without Kweli's influence, etc. And we all owe him for that.
45018, And... you're never gonna duplicate that feelin you got after you played
Posted by funbox, Sat Apr-15-06 12:37 AM
...Mario Bros for Nintendo or got your first pussy but it don't mean that Mario Bros 8 or whatever escort you happen to be with sucks. Tryin to snatch at the feeling you got when you first loved is just gonna make you angry.
45019, lol@no album is bad
Posted by darrylclark, Sat Apr-15-06 09:05 AM
Kwe made some good points, and some bad. But art is up to the observer, and for some people, they either like it or they don't.

Just because someone put their heart and soul into their music doesn't eliminate them from interpretation.
45020, It's like you gotta be disrespected
Posted by lazyboi, Sat Apr-15-06 07:34 PM
and thrown out the exit to get the message

Sometimes your sunshine get snatched like a necklace
when you get too drunk on power and your drive get reckless

Check it, MC's in my face after I slug you then I hug you
If I gotta dead you know it's only cause I love you

45021, RE: Kweli on Proof and OKP's constant hating (myspace swipe)
Posted by Obskura, Sat Apr-15-06 08:34 PM
I can wholeheartly agree, with your words Mr Kweli. In an era where you have to follow in the shadow of another's fame in order to achieve success. Many seem to have lost the reason why hip hop was created. It wasn't just and outlet to tell tales of people woes and sufferings,or brag about the money we can make illegally, degrade our women and so on and so on. But it is a culture that manifested itself as a way of life.

Now it is true not everything on this Earth is all good, all evil. And there are others that for the most part will always be oppose to "your" veiw. Which ever side you choose the are on the opposite waiting to strike. And you are right, most of it are from people only wishing they had 1/8 the talent those they choose to bash and lash out at have. And to me even I may or not be completely and totally right for stating this fact. Hey to some I am an outsider. I live in the BAHAMAS (yeah I said it) and to some were are the orginators of bammer some say we have no culture and we take the best from other and make it our own. Damn I can remember when one chick from the Real World (MTV) said we are a lost people because we were wearing our jeans just like the Americians. People say stupid shit with out thought with out remorse at the time, just don't hold it agaisnt then and don't let it stop you your progression.

It is a tradegy, that men and women and children died for reason totally unstatisfactory. In and artcile I found on the "NET", they are stating that it was in retaliation that Proof was killed, and to me that just and excuse. Hate begets hate until we try to change or break the cycle.

First off to me to whom ever made negative comment on M1 ablum they are at liberty to say whatever they want but the simple fact is if you don't like it then don't listen. Don't try and pass your shitty attitude off on the rest of the folk. Second B.I.G said it best you're nobay till somebody kills you. My twin said to me when he heard Proof was killed " he was a good Emcee, I beat you know he goes platinum"

It sad when your worth more dead then when your alive. Maya Angelou had a line in her book A Song Flung Up To Heaven.

A man lived. A man Loved
A amn tried, and a man died.
And that was not all to there
was to that. And it never was.

It came from when she got the news that Martin Luther King was assassinated. Trust me we all pass judgement on other it happens but we all definately don't acknowlegde the efforts of others until they are gone. Talib Kweli, M1, and everyone eles doing what they are doing for the love of this great culture please continue. And to those that were taken away so senselessly I hope your souls find peace.

Obskura
45022, RE: Kweli on Proof and OKP's constant hating (myspace swipe)
Posted by Reslim, Sat Apr-15-06 11:46 PM
who the fuck is kweli to be talkin about the artist is a person and not a product... this is comming from the mouth of the cat ghost writing for diddy n that right there is contradicting the niggas whole comment. I used to love H.E.R but now they just "do what they do".

peace.
45023, wow. who the FUCK does he think HE is talkn smack about US?
Posted by araQual, Sun Apr-16-06 01:57 AM
high horse much?
and that "where's UR album?" argument is bullshit. he's got no cred saying sum shit like that when his own shit isn't even worth a second listen. Kweli, ur living in a box or an imaginary world if u think u can shut down or avoid criticism. this is the fucking INTERNET! everyone's gonna have a voice!

sheesh.

and how many times is this tool gonna crap on his okp fanbase before we collectively give him the heave-ho? here's a tip Kweli: listen to your fans. 98% of us don't hate for the sake of it, we've been scratching our heads wondering wat the fcuk happened to u. the last few years it's been so-so. are we to blame if we're dissatisfied with ur product?

dude is living in the 5th dimension or something. the baggage associated with being a talented artist who releases crap doesn't seem to appeal to Kweli. well hey, STOP RELEASING CRAP!

V.
45024, So what?
Posted by queenisisdivine, Sun Apr-16-06 10:58 AM
So what if a poster isn't constructively criticizing an artists' music, why is Kweli so sensitive? As an artist you should be prepared for those kind of comments. Afterall this is just a message board.

I'm so FoCuSeD
~>http://www.myspace.com/hiphopgyrl
~>http://hiphopheadz.blogspot.com
45025, Damn. I just realized the *SHE* He's talking about is *ME.*
Posted by , Sun Apr-16-06 06:44 PM
This Part:

"A fan suggested recently that I visit the OKP boards and show some love to the fans,
because they really support me. I said cool, she's right, I can't not
go on there because of something some asshole said 6 years ago, lemme
check it out."

damn. we had been talking on myspace about the OKP haters for a while (i got the e-mails to prove it, and will forward them to you, for the haters). I told him to ignore all that hater shit. he should be better and bigger than that.

now i regret even asking him to come back. ya'll are gonna drive him away again. some of yall just hate for no reason.

but whatever.
45026, ayo no disrespect...but are u serious?
Posted by lazyboi, Mon Apr-17-06 04:12 AM

>
>
>now i regret even asking him to come back. ya'll are gonna
>drive him away again.

is this a grown man we talkling about or a damn vampire?

last i checked an artist needs his fan, NOT the other way around

Okerlund 3:16 says "FUCK IT!"
45027, I'm dead fuckin serious. I talk to him on a DAILY thru myspace.
Posted by , Wed Apr-19-06 07:37 PM
i was the one who told him to come back, because its not fair to the real, non-hating fans to advoid OKP. Thats why we were talking over MySpace for so long.

i mean, vampires or not, why do people come to okayplayer to HATE on okayplayers? the fuck is that about?
45028, i'm talking about u worried about us running him off..okay artists
Posted by lazyboi, Wed Apr-19-06 09:24 PM
are WELCOMED here with open arms thisis their home. however people feel like kweli is slighting us. and there is a reason for that, we didn't just wake up and pull it out of our asses.

frankly if a grown man gets "run" off his OWN website whether by constrctive critisism orby people being assholes...well the source of that problem ain't with the masses. IMO

Okerlund 3:16 says "FUCK IT!"
45029, RE: people feel like kweli is slighting us. and there is a reason for that
Posted by , Thu Apr-20-06 09:20 PM
what reason is that? everytime he comes on here, somebody's always hating on something stupid for no reason. like that m-1 thread. that was just stupid. he had a point.

and theres a thin line between constructive critism(?) and hate. and most of the shit people say (not you, just in general) is just hateful. theres no 'constructive' to it. just... hate.

but im just sayin.
my opinion tho. like it ever mattered here. lol.
45030, He is being sensitive, all of this is to be expected, but you have to admit...
Posted by universal magnetic, Sun Apr-16-06 06:46 PM
all of this internet hate (and I don't just mean OKP's, though we're certainly guilty too) is pretty fucking ridiculous... I can barely stomache coming in here half the time.

Of course, it's equally ridiculous that Kweli would let any of this affect him.
45031, RE: He is being sensitive, all of this is to be expected, but you have to admit...
Posted by emahunn, Sun Apr-16-06 07:42 PM
I agree with you to some extent. Kweli is not a super artist who is going to let hate go unaddressed. First and foremost, we have to view the complexity of the situation. Kweli is an artist (a field that he chose to be in) and with the fame, tours, and pressure to produce music, naturally such hate is going to affect his discourse. Furthermore, the death of the artist known as Proof has played an indirect (possibly direct) role in his discourse. I feel that we are all affected positively or negatively by haters. So use hate as a symbolic fuel that keeps them motivated. While others use hate to destroy their self esteem. Naturally, as people who are not exposed to the same amount of public pressure as Kweli would feel as if he should totally ignore such criticism. However, artist relate to one another simply by their occupation (which is being an artist). Although Kweli may not have listened to M1's album, he is going to defend the album because M1 is a man who is giving the same amount of passion to the art of music as Kweli. I feel that Kweli should focus on his core fan base. However, as I stated in an earlier posted, hate should not be left unaddressed. It is up to all of us to give insightful, positive, and constructive criticism to help such artist progress and futher build their craft to perfection. God bless my brother and POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!
45032, ok, supporting M1's new album outta respect is one thing
Posted by araQual, Mon Apr-17-06 01:29 AM
but saying that it is something that is beyond reproach for sucking is another. and Kweli hasn't even HEARD all of the album. he pretty much said it will not and does not suck because M1 works just as hard at his craft as Kwe does. because music is a life job, him or M1 can't make some pretty ordinary music? and we're not allowed to call em out for it? psshaw.

V.
45033, agreed %100.
Posted by , Sun Apr-16-06 09:13 PM
45034, RE: agreed %100.
Posted by Reslim, Mon Apr-17-06 03:25 AM
>.

Kweli fucked himself over by admitting that he hadnt even given the album a listen yet he was pissed off people were hating on it.. for all he knows it could have been the wackest hip hop relese to ever hit stores and he was sticking up for it without even giving it a listen. thats pure ignorance. and damn, a little off topic but I been wantin to say this for a long time now.. is it just me, or did that mz hill track creep anybody else out? it made kweli sound like some obsessed stalker fan of lauren.. that track kinda reminded me of eminems Stan song.
45035, Concur in part, Dissent in part
Posted by misteranalytical, Tue Apr-18-06 10:09 PM
I NEVER post on Okayplayer (as you can see) but inquiring about M1's album brought me to the site and I see that things on here are a little heated and I felt compelled to participate. I agree with Kweli for the most part. I am a fan of his despite not neccessarliy enjoying every release that he put out. Still I purchased every release he put out because I like him as an artist in totality which means taking the bitter with the sweet.

What I do not agree with is Kweli making the statement that if you aren't an artist, and this isn't what you do, then your opinions are not as valuable. I disagree with that. If 5 million people buy an album and they say it's great, they aren't artists but are their opinions less valuable? Or is it ok because it is an opinion that the artist desires? Critics are advocates for consumers, not artists. Ultimately at the end of the day, I draw my OWN conclusion because I know that one mans junk is another man's treasure. Still, I take what some people offer into consideration. If everyone I known says that T.I's album is the truth, I still will not be compelled to buy it. I only like 2-3% of the music that hits the marketplace and my dollars are very valuable and I can relate to homeboy's disappointment in his $13 not being well spent. However, I am sure that even though he may not like the album, he is (hopefully) satisfied to know that if $13 had to be "wasted" better it be on M1 than D4L. At least that's my stance when I purchase anything less than stellar.

Kweli, I hope you continue to come back because just like everyone is entitled to their opinion, good, bad, or otherwise, so are you...and I value yours just like I value everyone else's.

I'm checking for the next release. Take care and be well.

Mister Analytical Out
45036, motherfucker...how could you say....
Posted by The3rdOne, Wed Apr-19-06 08:24 AM
if you were in his position you would or would not feel the same? i'd beg to differ if you didnt feel that way. My proof would be how you respond to this (my post)

tread carefully