Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subject
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=44747&mesg_id=44805
44805, RE: Wassup everybody, I’m checking in once more
Posted by stephengbutler, Sun Apr-02-06 11:20 PM
Kweli, real talk, whatever influence you have to help facilitate a long-term solution for those families, it is needed. I got an e-mail from N'COBRA about the work MXGM has been doing on behalf of Katrina and Rita evacuees and a press conference being held April 4 in New York on the matter. I live in Houston but i wanted to know what was being done to help get evacuees long-term employment and housing, and part of the response i received was:

Thus far no effective work has been able to be done by the supporters to provide client sevices in that critical area. The most immediate crisis is emergency suitable housing paid for by the city welfare agencies if not FEMA.

As someone on the sidelines i'm not about to criticize what's being done, AND i'm thankful for the brothers and sisters lending support, but we GOTTA figure out long-term solutions or people are still gonna be living in hotels come the end of NEXT hurricane season.

For anybody who wants to participate, the press conference info is below:

TUESDAY, April 4, 2006
Press Conference: 9:00 a.m.
Hearing: 9:30 a.m.

Second Press Conference: 12:00 p.m.

Civil Court of the City of New York, County of Queens

89-17 Sutphin Blvd., Jamaica, NY 11435

P.S. Since the initial filing of suit, Radisson Hotels is said to have increased the amount it's requesting from $3,000 to $6,000.