Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectugh ie "you want tricks"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=44238&mesg_id=44283
44283, ugh ie "you want tricks"
Posted by 15, Tue May-16-06 05:54 PM
look i know we make shit look rather effortless but this is ridiculi! lol
so maybe this is the tom hanks syndrome post forrest gump
you putting on us as in what you think as "ho hum heard this before" nothing
special.

but im sorry, you know how hard it is not to have ONE CORNY line in a hip hop joint today?
show me the corny line.
and i dont wanna hear "why is he so deadpan?" the song calls for "deadpan" the lyrics are about something that dosn't require a "dat skat" flow.

now if you say "well i prefer my roots animated" then i can accept that (im still gonna question it but will accept it) but i think most of you naysayers feel indifference and have no clue as to why you feel this way (and of course i get blamed for it):

take the kast single: the most dangerous thing on "pushing the envelope" is the second you decide to "tone it down" (ie pryor not using "nigger" anymore...the beginning of "soft" "non hard edge" pryor) it just naturally lets down. now i for one am not disappointed in "the mighty oh" simply because i feel the rhymes are tight and the beat is cool. but most of the kast cult first of all can't even admit or conceive that perhaps "bombs over bag"/"hey ya" was more an exercise in image pushing (yes i give credit to where credit is due both songs are great but you CANT dismiss the "look ma no hands" image approach that is andre 3000.) than just "great songs to listen to".

so that said i dont know if we "pushed the envelope" so far to no return--actually i can't recall a first single in the past 10 years that pleased roots fans more than caused them to cry "meh!"---(break you off?, dont say nothing---matter of fact i dont recall no holidays for "dont see us" either)

its an expectations game. and i dont know what kind of "tricks" or fireworks or smoke and mirrors shit we can pull in this era of post modern hip hop (especially when we are celebrating the long done with classic 93 era hip hop)

i mean what are you comparing this song to?

i think this song is better than corners (and before you start dont even reply until you acknowledge that the success of BE had EVERYTHING to do with Com's association with you know who (dont believe me? tell kanye to sit this record out and see what's up...com aint stupid he knows aint nothing going on but private school tuition)---

so again: with no trick to pull (ie the kanye endorsement..and yes admit it..its a trick)
and no suuuthin flow (30 of the top rap joints are down south)

what do you suggest we do?