Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=44064&mesg_id=44193
44193, RE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by earsareon, Fri May-19-06 12:49 PM
One thing that really bothers me about the show was that this was a tribute for J.Dilla and I really expected to see a lot more people that hew was close with. Honestly, A Tribe Called Quest was a must, that's their boy. Slum Village was a must. Busta Rhymes was a shoulda. These are people who worked with him a great deal and they owed it his honor to be there. I hope they show tonight. As nice at it was to see BDK and Nas, I would have appreciated heartfelt appearances from Madlib and Pharcyde a lot more. Also I wasn't too keen on the album promotion stuff, why not have pictures of J. Dilla on the signs that were over the stage and J. Dilla in lights instead of Game Theory. I don't know, as someone who was there more for J. Dilla than anything else, I was a bit let down by the "tribute". I wanted to hear some stories, more J.Dilla songs (The Light and Dynamite were certainly appreciated), seemed more like a Kanye West tribute for a little while with Get 'Em High, Get By, and all the BE stuff when it so easily could have been Blackstar's Little Brother, Thelonius. And where was the live version of Fall In Love that would have meant the world to a tribute. Anyway, that's too much complaining for how I feel, but it's just some thoughts on it.