Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=44064&mesg_id=44126
44126, RE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by CommonThought, Fri May-19-06 04:06 AM
I just got back from the show and I too was dissapointed. Mic problems reallys hurt the show I thought. Kane not able to do his verse from Boom took any impact of his set out right away. And Skillz seemed really into it too. Jazzy Jeff and Rahzel were both great to see, but I thought it would ahev been better if there were some proper introductions for them I could obviously tell it was Rahzel but from the second mezzanine you couldnt tell that was Jazzy Jeff until Nas said it. Was really looking foward to at least one crazy guest spot. Thought Erykah or Jill were gonna come out for you got me, thought Kanye was gonna come out for Rahzel's Jesus walks or Kweli and Common for Get Em High, thought Lauryn might come out for If I Ruled The World, thought Mos would do his verse on definition. Aside from those I was expecting at least one crazy appearance either Jay or Tribe or somethin. Chappelle was cool but he said nothing. Pacing was defenitely an issue. Nas coming on so early wasnt necessarily bad because the crowd got so hyped when he came on, but they just couldn't keep up that pace for teh rest of teh show. The set list was something like this:
Nas- Made You Look, It aint hard to tell, the world is yours, and if i ruled the world.
Kane- Boom Verse, set it off, raw, and warm it up kane
Common- go, the corner, the light, testify, i use to love h.e.r., and act too with black thought
Kweli- get em high freestyle w/common, definition, the blast, and get by
Rahzel- misc crazy rahzel shit, some reggae songs, jesus walks, if your mother only knew, etc.
The Roots- web, dynamite, don't feel right, proceed, boom, break you off, thought at work, the next movement, stay cool, dont say nothin, the seed 2.0, a little jungle boogie cover in between songs i had never seen before, a long kirk solo, a short quest vs. knuckles solo, a cool jazzy jeff solo, and the same very long yet always amazing hub solo (comes after break you off).
I think i named about everything, once again dissapointing because of the hype, i do agree it sounds like people backed out. "it aint hard to tell" was the highlight of the show for me, it sounded so good played by the roots and is my favorite nas song. i thought Ghostface was a definite but i guess i was wrong. Excited that we will at least get to see it on dvd, possibly packaged with Game Theory. I am kind of hoping that no big surprises go tomorrow because i wont be able to live with picking the wrong date, but i hope everyone has a good time tomorrow.