Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRoots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=44064
44064, Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by ShortQueen80, Thu May-18-06 05:52 PM
As being one of the lonely souls that will not be able to see some of the best performances on this side of Earth, I am asking the patrons of tonight's show to post your reviews. Have a good time and write down the songlists and guest stars....I want good notes.
44065, shit. post while watching.
Posted by rons1ne, Thu May-18-06 06:55 PM
that'd be sicko.
44066, Send me you phone videos of the show
Posted by handle, Thu May-18-06 07:26 PM
An adress where I can recieve LARGE attachments is: tom@tomsfiles.com

Feel free to mail them to me there.

I'll psot them somewhere.
44067, Send me you phone videos of the show
Posted by handle, Thu May-18-06 07:26 PM
An adress where I can recieve LARGE attachments is: tom@tomsfiles.com

Feel free to mail them to me there.

I'll psot them somewhere.
44068, *Sets up Hammick*
Posted by angiebabe3679, Thu May-18-06 08:42 PM
I am waiting for all the goodness I missed...
44069, Yeah for real....
Posted by DeadMike, Thu May-18-06 09:02 PM
Right now there's probably no better place in the entire Universe to be other than Radio City Music Hall home of the dopest live show on Earth. Wish I could be there. Everyone who got to go is lucky.

But I can't wait til Saturday to see The Roots Crew at HOB Orlando. Providing I can find a scalper.

Looking forward to reading all the reviews tomorrow.

So spill it. What happened? Who was there? Tribe? Pharcyde? Jigga?
44070, RE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by Origin05, Thu May-18-06 09:52 PM
*sniffles* So how awesome was it?
44071, so i guess i wasnt the only one...
Posted by Pkjr703, Thu May-18-06 10:47 PM
who thought damn! i wonder what the hell is happening at radio city music hall right now...

44072, waitn for the..
Posted by ouesh, Thu May-18-06 10:58 PM
post from the show. i know some of yall from hitech gots to be there!!! help us out on the west coast! dayymn wish i was there
44073, RE: waitn for the..
Posted by earsareon, Thu May-18-06 11:30 PM
Just got back and I have to say I was a bit let down, as I think it got kind of over-hyped as this historic show to end all shows with special guests coming out of every corner. In reality it was a good (though oddly structured) okayplayer show, not groundbreaking, that lost a lot of energy after the first half.

After the Roots warmed up the crowd a bit the first guest was Nas who flew through Made You Look, World Is Yours, and If I Ruled The World (amongst others I'm leaving out). Then they played a few more songs and Big Daddy Kane came out and did Raw and Warm It Up Kane and others. Then some more Roots, then Common who was hands down the highlight of the show (Testify, Go, The Food w/o Kanye, I Used To Love Her, Act Too). Then right into Talib Kweli's short set (Definition w/o Mos Def, Get By, Say My Name) and after that it was just the Roots, no suprises no ATCQ coming out to make a reasonably expected appearance. A lot of solo's that went on WAY too long (Rahzel I'm looking at your 25 minutes of diminishingly enjoyable "I bet you think I'm not doing this"'s). Like I said, simply an overhyped situation that was excecuted a bit backwards (I think like a sixth of the audience hadn't showed up by the time Nas was done) but with typical Roots quality. Oh, and there were some unexcusable problems with the mics at the beginning that were really really really annoying (when you pay for something like this, you expect the tech to come correct). Hope this doesn't offend anyone, I enjoyed myself but felt a bit lead on by all the hype that's been going round.
44074, RE: waitn for the..
Posted by Idontknow, Thu May-18-06 11:47 PM
Historic this was not.

The Lincoln Center show from a few years back with appearances by Kool G Rap, Pharoahe Monch, Rock Steady Crew and Jay-Z was historic in all the ways this one failed to be. I still remember the show opening with "Respond/React" performed in the pitch black. I still remember the 3 members of Rocksteady coming out and breaking in their urban cowboy get-ups. I still remember Kool G Rap coming out of nowhere in a hoodie and ripping through the "Symphony" to raucous applause. And, of course, I still remember Jay-z coming to join the Roots on stage fresh from their unplugged session together.

What happened?
44075, RE: waitn for the..
Posted by eq8tor, Fri May-19-06 02:18 AM
>Historic this was not.
>
>The Lincoln Center show from a few years back with appearances
>by Kool G Rap, Pharoahe Monch, Rock Steady Crew and Jay-Z was
>historic in all the ways this one failed to be. I still
>remember the show opening with "Respond/React" performed in
>the pitch black. I still remember the 3 members of Rocksteady
>coming out and breaking in their urban cowboy get-ups. I
>still remember Kool G Rap coming out of nowhere in a hoodie
>and ripping through the "Symphony" to raucous applause. And,
>of course, I still remember Jay-z coming to join the Roots on
>stage fresh from their unplugged session together.
>
>What happened?

thank you for bringing that show up son!...that shit was historic like a motherfucker...word up!!
44076, RE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by Idontknow, Thu May-18-06 11:16 PM
Sorry to say this, but this was the worst Roots show I've seen and I've seen many.

The sound was awful, most guests mics were not working at all.

The pace of the show was off.

The show climaxed in the first 30 minutes with Nas' performance. The Roots sounded great at first and it looked like they were poised for another classic performance, but it all fell apart.

Common came out and put so much energy into his set, but the sound and his mic ruined it.

And, where were all these surprise guests promised? We got Common, Talib and Nas, but they were announced.

The only other people to rock were Big Daddy Kane, Mad Skillz and Truck North. Dave Chappelle came out at the end, but he only said a sentence or two about the historic night - nothing else.

Big Daddy Kane came out during Boom and his mic was off for his entire verse. Mad Skillz came out and his mic was off for his whole set.

In all, a really disappointing night. If you have tickets for tomorrow, pray it gets better or sell your tickets now.

I can only imagine that the Roots got stood-up by a bunch of guests and that messed up their set-list and their cues.
44077, RE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by jwill, Thu May-18-06 11:30 PM
I agree to a point. I thought the show was good but certainly not their best. The mic problem needs to be fixed for tomorrow's show.

Rich
44078, also mad about the mic's...
Posted by TaLi, Fri May-19-06 12:35 AM
...but that was not the root's fault. *edit: although, damn...i agreee with the others...it's radio city!*

and you can't shit on the solo's. but i was definately hoping for more guests...nas in the first 10 minutes?!?!?!?

*and...I'm glad, though I ran out of film, I got to see erykah at the end of the show outside, give love and tell her thank you for writing "green eyes"...kind of beats the picture...kind of...! as the cynical set-guy gives off the set list to the girl NEXT to me...ahhhhh! all in good fun...thank you!!!!!*

44079, RE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by LANSTARR, Fri May-19-06 12:39 AM
No excuses for mic problems at a show of this status. When I play with my band, I get mic problems playing in shit hole bars and lounges, but that is expected... they get resolved withing 10 minutes. Case closed.
44080, .
Posted by 15, Fri May-19-06 01:30 AM
>I can only imagine that the Roots got stood-up by a bunch of
>guests and that messed up their set-list and their cues.
44081, names man, names
Posted by gusto, Fri May-19-06 01:44 AM
or clues or questograms man

whats the word for tomorra
44082, yeah, this weekend...
Posted by HighVoltage, Fri May-19-06 01:55 AM
if you have the time, id love to see you breakdown what was originally planned and what the end result actually was. and yes... names!
44083, RE: names man, names
Posted by rons1ne, Fri May-19-06 09:52 AM
the Roots should play the songs of the peeps who didn't show up and have BT and Hov do some calling them out type of ish.

okay thats a bit immature, but names would be nice.
44084, dont worry.. KANE made the whole shit worth it...
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Fri May-19-06 02:01 AM
44085, KANE is so 2004
Posted by gusto, Fri May-19-06 02:04 AM
lol.

it just sucks, after block party, the bar is raised so high now. were spoiled man.
44086, Yup
Posted by CMcMurtry, Sat May-20-06 01:43 AM
44087, kane is dope and all.... but its been there, done that
Posted by HighVoltage, Fri May-19-06 02:30 AM
hes done so many shows with the roots that seeing him with them doesnt seem that special anymore.

he was with the roots at...

chicago HOB show in 04
the block party
VH1 special
both 9:30 Club DC shows in 04
and more..

i mean, its always great seeing him with the roots, but when you hype this event up the way they did, and pull an old trick out of the bag instead of bringing someting new, it doesnt have the same effect on people. sure if it was your first time seeing kane with the roots, then yeah, that most definately is special. but in the context of things, it loses its impact.
44088, but when u go to a gazillion roots shows...what can u really expect?
Posted by lazyboi, Fri May-19-06 08:54 AM

found this ignorant colored ...paid him to tie a tail to his ass & run around half-naked, making monkey sounds....made him eat *bananas* Oh, how the white boys danced that night...& when we slit his throat, u know that fool asked us what he did wrong.
44089, that's not the issue
Posted by Troubled Spirits, Fri May-19-06 08:58 AM
in his blog, ?uest apologized for the show. Even he knows it didn't go well.

?uest hyped the special guests as huge names, bigger than the announced names (Nas, Kweli, Common)... And I'm sure the big guests were supposed to go, but renegged (Kanye and Jay anyone?)

Skillz, Truck North, Maimouna, Rahzel, and Kane, although all dope, are not SPECIAL for Roots standards... they pop up at random Roots shows, somewhat often.
44090, can you post the text of ?uest's blog...
Posted by rons1ne, Fri May-19-06 09:33 AM
can't access myspace at work.
thanks homie.
44091, here you go
Posted by Gangsta Mittens, Fri May-19-06 09:52 AM
Friday, May 19, 2006

Blog 55: No Vaseline
Current mood: disappointed

fuck this rap shit
i listen to classical.
-baatin

im sorry people. that is
all i can say about it.
sorry.

i'm really torn because the key to a victory is never admitting a defeat. but i'm so livid right now i need an outlet to just vent my anger. but im a smart businessman so i don't wanna burn no bridges either.

sigh.

defeat happens to the best of them. and yes i am willing to admit (and im sneaking this blog in much to the dismay of the "dont you go on myspace admitting defeat ahmir" cries of my family)

all night i heard "they never knew the wiser".

but fuck this rap shit. i didn't bust my ass all these years to just "get by" on the most important night of my life.

but that is what it wound up being.

the show i had in my head was a surprise around every corner. remember all that 2 hours and 59 mins talk of these blogs of late? sheeeesh my show was damn near over at 1 hour and 10 mins.

that is short for even ROOTS standards!!!!!!!

the thing is it's an art to pace a show for 3 hours. You gotta keep it 6 steps ahead: you gotta think "who is my weakest performer", "who will have the best responses", "who rambles?", "who has a tendency to stick to the script?", "who will fly off the handle" "best shit in the first 15 mins", "strongest shit in the final 15"---for all of the rep we got for spontaneity our shit is planned to the bone.

the last thing i wanna hear is the shit i heard tonight on my drumset:

or better yet:

me: yo is @..$%$.. here yet?
asst: no.....
me: what the @..$%$..!! what time did @..$%$.. say they were coming?
asst:7!!!!!

that was one scenario.

here is another:

my manager: @..$%$@ said they are not coming to rehearsal
me: huh?!?!?! the hell?!!?!?!
my manager: i spoke to !@..$%@@..$%'s manager and they said "i don't need to rehearse with the roots....they just freestyle i'll just go there and bust a verse and its all good"
me: the FUCK?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!??!!?!?!?

between my assistants giving me news of guests not showing up on time (or at all), and the technical problems with the monitors and mics....i have to say to nyc im sorry that you fell victim to the hip hop nation yet again.

i call for help and they let me down
44092, "i call for help and they let me down"
Posted by rons1ne, Fri May-19-06 11:09 AM
damn. disappointing.
44093, RE: here you go
Posted by a kingswife, Fri May-19-06 01:44 PM
From the 2nd Mezz you could clearly see ?uest's frustration.

But...The Roots put on a hot show everytime. F..k the no show special guests, they don't need em. You show me hip hop artists that actually create music that's not been "electronically" created. This group epitomizes the words hip hop artist in every sense. Was I let down yes but not because of the performers. It was the mic issues, the fact that the crowd was sitting while BT was rhyming his ass off and didn't really attempt to move until Braveheart came on. What F..k is that about????????????? Don't go to a Roots show to pose as a hip hope fan. I love Nas but lets be real, Black Thought.......one of most underated MC's if not the biggest.

Common-Dope. yes I said Dope
Kane-I damn near fell from 2nd Mezz to 1st. Could it be my age...this is the music that rocked me then and still does now. He can be at every show and it will NEVER BE PLAYED OUT.
Jazzy Jeff-I LOVE THAT RUN DMC finally gets some recognition at hip hip shows but why did Jam Master Jay have to pass before they did?

Props to him anyway..turntables are essentional for every hip hop show along with wax if you're not playing and instrument.

Most annoying for me..the smoked out white folk (ps I'm white too) that don't know a lick of lyrics unless it had radio play and sat on their asses and straight smoked all night and FAKED THE FUNK!

A Kingswife
44094, RE: here you go
Posted by SensaiTate, Fri May-19-06 03:44 PM
>Most annoying for me..the smoked out white folk (ps I'm white
>too) that don't know a lick of lyrics unless it had radio play
>and sat on their asses and straight smoked all night and FAKED
>THE FUNK!
>
>
>A Kingswife

Agreed & black people do it too you know...just ask anyone that went to the Dave Chapelle in Charlotte NC...
44095, i'm not talking abotu THAT show. i'm talking about people saying
Posted by lazyboi, Fri May-19-06 01:02 PM
a roots show in general. like oh they doing the kane thing...again. making it seem like common's windmill. lol

found this ignorant colored ...paid him to tie a tail to his ass & run around half-naked, making monkey sounds....made him eat *bananas* Oh, how the white boys danced that night...& when we slit his throat, u know that fool asked us what he did wrong.
44096, im sayin tho.. i havent seen the roots live since IHL was out...
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Fri May-19-06 09:42 AM
...so their whole set was dope to me ..but kane was just ridiculous
44097, Well look I'm commin from the midwest so
Posted by Shaheed79, Fri May-19-06 02:28 AM
Level with me should I sell my ticket? I mean save me a plane ride right now. I love yall but you can shoot through Chicago anytime and I'll peep u at h.o.b.
44098, damn
Posted by B Side, Fri May-19-06 02:37 AM
i'm coming tomorrow for the second night

sorry to hear people effed y'all over after all the stress
44099, GHOST!!!! I saw the fucking set list!!! SHIT WAS HOT!!! That nigga man!
Posted by Bigmell, Fri May-19-06 02:19 PM
44100, ((( gettin popcorn ))))
Posted by legendary9, Thu May-18-06 11:25 PM

http://www.myspace.com/danceonconstellations
http://elisiaj.livejournal.com
pics...
http://www.imagestation.com/member/index.html?name=eleese04&c=201

listening to...
van hunt-van hunt, on the jungle floor
head autmoatica-decadence
christina milian-so ama
44101, RE: ((( gettin popcorn ))))
Posted by djlilmac, Thu May-18-06 11:35 PM
I hate to say it, but I agree. As far as a "roots only" show it was cool. Not the best I've seen and not the worst. But for what it was supposed to be, it disappointed. I have tix for tommorow. I hope it delivers.

The weirdest thing was the ending. Right when the show seemed like it was about to climax (With Chappell walking on stage) it just ended.

Highlights include:

- Rahzel's set
- Common's set
- Kirk' set
44102, seriously??
Posted by legendary9, Thu May-18-06 11:50 PM
how was common? so it wasn't the best show? what about erykah? kweli?

pics...

listening to...
christina milian-so ama
44103, RE: seriously??
Posted by jwill, Thu May-18-06 11:53 PM
I really liked Common but I have never seen him live before. Erykah just came out at the end of the show and waved. Was a little surprised they did You Got Me tonight without her. Maybe since she is on tomorrow's bill they will do it again but freak it out a little. Kweli was pretty good, closed with Get By.

Rich

>how was common? so it wasn't the best show? what about
>erykah? kweli?
>
>
>http://www.myspace.com/danceonconstellations
>http://elisiaj.livejournal.com
>pics...
>http://www.imagestation.com/member/index.html?name=eleese04&c=201
>
>listening to...
>van hunt-van hunt, on the jungle floor
>head autmoatica-decadence
>christina milian-so ama
44104, thanks..
Posted by legendary9, Fri May-19-06 12:03 AM
:)

pics...

listening to...
christina milian-so ama
44105, i disagree with you all
Posted by diz, Thu May-18-06 11:58 PM
what about DJ Jazzy Jeff?
None of you noticed him? He was great throughout -- especially on the Next Movement and his little solo (noticed Quest watching carefully.)

I thought Rahzel was on point.

My highlights were Kweli - Get By, all of Common's set (except Testify), Nas - Made You Look, Captain Kirk's solo out of you got me, big daddy kane was good once his mic got working (ahem).

BT was a great mc, and i loved how he got Nas back on track when Nas lost the beat in who's world is this.

Ending was definetely anti-climatic, -- 10:35?? -- but I was happy and it was good to see rahzel back up there.

Hoping tommorow will start where tonight ended off. (extended Melting pot?)

Good job and thank you for the show.

Better than Summerstage and the free pier show last summer. Bowery Ballroom 98(?) still might be my favorite. Hammerstein was good too.
44106, RE: i disagree with you all
Posted by jwill, Fri May-19-06 12:18 AM
By no means did I think its sucked it just wasnt my favorite Roots performance. This is about the 8th time I have seen them and tomorrow will be the 9th. If there wasnt any mic troubles the show would have been great. Rahzel did a hell of a job, Jazzy Jeff was great as always and was a pleasant surprise. Nas was very good and I loved Common's performance. The Roots are the Roots. Their worst shows are better than a lot of other peoples best shows. I dont think this is the show ?uest had planned though since it ended a bit early.

Rich
44107, this is the most important part of this thread
Posted by HighVoltage, Fri May-19-06 12:21 AM
>I dont think this is the show ?uest
>had planned though since it ended a bit early.

sounds that way to me.

VERY curious to hear his reply.

ill be at the show tomorrow, hopefully they make up for the road bumps they endured tonight.
44108, uh oh
Posted by Troubled Spirits, Thu May-18-06 11:59 PM
Even today ?uest was hyping this on his blog...

what happened?

were they stood up by all the guests?
44109, no ghostface
Posted by gusto, Fri May-19-06 12:34 AM
luna e (and kirk) did a bang up job of you got me.

no encore.

skillz not in love with his mic.

YEAH KANE.

accoutics during web were awesome.

rahzel, seriously? dude was trying out his standup act. i like his act, but i liked it better in 2000.

im glad they got to do their solos in rcmh, but hopefully theyll be shorter tomorrow.

hearing the crowd yelling "brave-hearts. brave-hearts" was chillin.

if this was your first roots show, mustve been awesome.

ms yancey is tiny.

44110, RE: no ghostface
Posted by Bialy, Fri May-19-06 01:00 AM

>rahzel, seriously? dude was trying out his standup act. i like
>his act, but i liked it better in 2000.

i could've sworn they were getting ready for the end of his act about 2-3 times but he just hogged the mic and went on and on.

it was nice, but why does he get to come back and get 20 something minutes all by himself?? i gotta think that he either pissed everybody off or i'm completely wrong and some guests didn't show and he was filling time. but i thought they all looked like they were waiting for him to finish for a long time like they were gonna drag him off stage.

rahzel was dope, but when ur expecting tribe or jigga or ghost or all of them and nas can only get a few songs something seems off. for him to get more time then everybody just seems weird.

overall though it was a great show, except that for 80 bucks i agree, the mics should work. i go to roots shows all the time so i hate when ppl bitch about seeing great shows.

this was a great show if you didn't know that all these ppl were showing up. but for the most part the guests were the ones announced. and the others are regulars at live shows besides nas. i mean i've seen kane with them before even if he's not a regular.
44111, RE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by BlackTyAffair, Fri May-19-06 12:45 AM
   Yo, I would like to say that I've been coming to this site
for just about as long as it existed, and I never had the urge
to actually become a registered member until after tonight's
show! So I guess this is a blessing in disguise....
   I agree with the other members that although the show was
dope, it didn't live up to the hype at all, and the fact that
whole verses were silenced due to the sound guys F-ing up is
just crazy!, but those are small things. 
   The reason that I finally became a registered user is to
tell the Okayplayers "Powers That Be" that the fact
that there were no vendors selling T-shirts, Programs,
Buttons, Hats, CDs or anything of the sort was very
inexcusable. I always go to events, concerts or festivals and
the lesson I learned is that the show's "cherry on the
top" is the merchandise that you take home from the show.
I searched before and after the show hard for a dude selling
something, shit I was even looking for bootleg dude that be on
the street after the show, selling $10 Tees and $2 Pictures
with the cardboard frames, lol (I bought one of those from the
Jill Scott show at Radio City w/Common, my son loves that
picture frame set-up with Com on one side and Jill on the
other; he swore that they were a couple!!) I was even more
amazed that since the concert's proceeds went to Dilla's
mother, that they didn't have any Dilla merchandise available
to sell for his foundation. 
   Listen, I had a great time as I always do at Roots' show
but I felt somewhat incomplete and a little cheated for not
being able to buy some sort of t-shirt or something like that.
Quest, you are a smart dude, tell me it was Def Jam's
fault!@#$%
   Anyway Hip-Hop at Radio City felt surreal Ladies and Gents,
despite the let downs who would have ever thought I would see
The Roots headlining at such a landmark! Lastly, I did see
video cameras all around, so I'll bet my money that the DVD is
soon coming!!
       --- and yes I know I could buy merchandise at the
okaystore, but I had a dream of meeting the guys backstage,
and gettin' the band to autograph my freshly purchased t-shirt
(hint, hint...Quest holla @ Me!!!) Stay Cool--- Black Ty
Affair   
44112, gasp.....this is true
Posted by allison, Fri May-19-06 01:15 AM
talked about this many times and it always falls on def
ears....I've sold merch for okp a few years back and the
response excellent. 

>The reason that I finally became a registered user is to
tell the Okayplayers "Powers That Be" that the fact
that there were no vendors selling T-shirts, Programs,
Buttons, Hats, CDs or anything of the sort was very
inexcusable. I always go to events, concerts or festivals and
the lesson I learned is that the show's "cherry on the
top" is the merchandise that you take home from the
show. I searched before and after the show hard for a dude
selling something, shit I was even looking for bootleg dude
that be on the street after the show, selling $10 Tees and $2
Pictures with the cardboard frames, lol (I bought one of those
from the Jill Scott show at Radio City w/Common, my son loves
that picture frame set-up with Com on one side and Jill on
the other; he swore that they were a couple!!) I was even
more amazed that since the concert's proceeds went to Dilla's
mother, that they didn't have any Dilla merchandise available
to sell for his foundation. 

this isn't a big priority after the drama tonight....

44113, RE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by ouesh, Fri May-19-06 02:35 PM
yea i, i dont understand the merch thing as well. seems like
they could up there revenue even more, and leave you and many
others happy. sheeit if they didnt sell all the shirts for a
"roots at rcmh" shrt, id still buy em even if i
didnt go, lol. please bring some merch when yall make it to sf
or sacto in june
44114, RE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by illmayo89, Fri May-19-06 07:58 PM
First of all, I am sending this message via my son's account,
something I have never done before. Secondly, I have been a
Roots fan since my oldest son (now 24) hipped me to their
artistry when he was in high school.  Third, seeing last
night's show gives me faith in the undying/innovative talent
of ?uestlove and company.

I have read many of the posts here and just want to say that
as a momma of 3 undying Roots fans and as one of the group's
older fans myself, I have to say that last night's concert was
one of the best that I've seen.  The experience for me is
likened to seeing Bob Marley and The Wailers back in the mid
'70s and one that I'll not likely forget.  Seeing a hip hop
concert at RCMH was rather surreal; seeing Big Daddy Kane was
like watching a variation of James Brown; standing for nearly
2 hours and rocking to the groove of the band was something I
haven't done in.....I can't tell you how many years. 

Driving this week through the midwestern states to New York, I
told my youngest son the story about Sam Cooke.  During the
drive, I had him listen to a cd of one of Sam Cooke's live
concerts that took place in Florida back in 1953.  My son was
floored b/c he couldn't believe how similar the show was to
the Roots Live album.  This just goes to show that while hip
hop is new and different, it is the same as gospel/soul music.

I say all of this so that The Roots, Jazzy Jeff, Common,
Talib, Nas and others who shared the vision presented last
night and again tonight will realize the importance of what
they have accomplished and will continue to do what they do
best.

While there may have been backstage drama and haters within
the hip hop industry, the show for me was an experience that I
never dreamed of having in my lifetime.  The show was
extraordinary and will go down in history as one of my most
memorable experiences with my children.  

Momma Maitai/Chicago

44115, Photos from the show
Posted by jaybeekay_1, Fri May-19-06 01:18 AM
here are a few photos from the show.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bking/sets/72057594139040429/

and just for kicks, some photos from a show in ohio about a year ago:
http://www.juiceheaddesigns.com/html2/photos_exp_15.html

------------------
www.flickr.com/photos/bking
www.myspace.com/jaybeekay
44116, Thank you!!!
Posted by angiebabe3679, Fri May-19-06 07:56 AM
Ahhh...Just to be in there would have been cool...

Im still jealous...
44117, i rate the show a strong @@@@
Posted by atruhead, Fri May-19-06 01:40 AM
I cant blame the mic problems on the roots, that's senseless

nas forgot "the world is yours" - the blame lies on him

rahzel did go too long, and it felt like captain kirk's extra long solo was to appease the rock (read: white) crowd. The Roots/resurgence of Big Daddy Kane thing is no longer fresh (meaning new, it's fresh as hell as in fresh for '88 you suckers)

i have a completely new respect for ?uest's dual role as bandleader and stage director, i fidgeted in my seat watching him deal with his staff and bandmembers while playing the drums, editing and reworking on the spot when someone went too long in order to meet the 11 pm deadline. I cant wait to read his insight on it

thought is still flawless

while the show and surprise guests were greatly hyped, there's always tomorrow and i have a ticket for that as well
44118, imma choke you
Posted by Gangsta Mittens, Fri May-19-06 10:02 AM
>it felt like captain kirk's extra
>long solo was to appease the rock (read: white) crowd.

Black people like rock too damnit

>
>i have a completely new respect for ?uest's dual role as
>bandleader and stage director, i fidgeted in my seat watching
>him deal with his staff and bandmembers while playing the
>drums, editing and reworking on the spot when someone went too
>long in order to meet the 11 pm deadline. I cant wait to read
>his insight on it
>

OKP has been a gift and a curse of sorts... being able to interact with ?uest or at least read his thoughts has meant that i have learned that you can usually tell how the show is going by looking at him.. .so i tend to spend a lot of time looking at him and the ppl talking to him and seeing how he thinks things are going. Last night it was clear by the way he pushed Chappelle off of him as he walked off the stage that he was NOT a happy camper. It made me kinda uncomfortable too watching him get upset... I guess as a huge Roots fan and an even bigger ?uest admirer, i'm always rooting for things to go right for them and it was clear that wasn't the case last night.

All in all it was a good show... i just know it could have been better

44119, RE: imma choke you
Posted by atruhead, Fri May-19-06 10:40 AM
Last night it was clear by the way
>he pushed Chappelle off of him as he walked off the stage that
>he was NOT a happy camper.

i noted this as well, but it didnt really hit me until now.

it was still a hell of a show, but longtime roots fans had to be asking themselves 'how is ?uest/thought letting rahzel go on this long?' not knowing that they needed to fill space. I've seen Thought brody the mic from Dice Raw while looking notably disturbed
44120, yeah like someone else said above
Posted by Gangsta Mittens, Fri May-19-06 12:17 PM
like when there were 90 minutes left i was like wow... they bout to do one surprise after another... but by 10:10 i was like o... that's it huh?

That bein said, i'm amped about tonight.

Bout to head into the city now. i'll call you
44121, RE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by philliPINO, Fri May-19-06 02:10 AM
Can we get a complete set list?
44122, People have bad nights, it happens to the best of us
Posted by rhymesandammo, Fri May-19-06 02:26 AM
44123, you cant afford a 'bad night' at the biggest show of your career though
Posted by HighVoltage, Fri May-19-06 02:32 AM
i wasnt there for the thursday show, so i cant comment.

im sure it wasnt bad... just didnt live up to the hype of 'wait til you see the unnanounced guests'
44124, thats the thing, it wasnt a "bad" night
Posted by gusto, Fri May-19-06 02:36 AM
roots were on point as usual. woulda been great if it was just any other nyc night. but this show was an 80dollar superhyped show.

no complaints if this was hunter a couple weeks ago. (anyone even go to that?)
44125, RE: People have bad nights, it happens to the best of us
Posted by philliPINO, Fri May-19-06 02:42 AM
What I want to know, and we probably wouldnt be able to get it from this site, is what the casual or new fan thought of the show. Guests or no guests youd like to hope they at least turned some people on.
44126, RE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by CommonThought, Fri May-19-06 04:06 AM
I just got back from the show and I too was dissapointed. Mic problems reallys hurt the show I thought. Kane not able to do his verse from Boom took any impact of his set out right away. And Skillz seemed really into it too. Jazzy Jeff and Rahzel were both great to see, but I thought it would ahev been better if there were some proper introductions for them I could obviously tell it was Rahzel but from the second mezzanine you couldnt tell that was Jazzy Jeff until Nas said it. Was really looking foward to at least one crazy guest spot. Thought Erykah or Jill were gonna come out for you got me, thought Kanye was gonna come out for Rahzel's Jesus walks or Kweli and Common for Get Em High, thought Lauryn might come out for If I Ruled The World, thought Mos would do his verse on definition. Aside from those I was expecting at least one crazy appearance either Jay or Tribe or somethin. Chappelle was cool but he said nothing. Pacing was defenitely an issue. Nas coming on so early wasnt necessarily bad because the crowd got so hyped when he came on, but they just couldn't keep up that pace for teh rest of teh show. The set list was something like this:
Nas- Made You Look, It aint hard to tell, the world is yours, and if i ruled the world.
Kane- Boom Verse, set it off, raw, and warm it up kane
Common- go, the corner, the light, testify, i use to love h.e.r., and act too with black thought
Kweli- get em high freestyle w/common, definition, the blast, and get by
Rahzel- misc crazy rahzel shit, some reggae songs, jesus walks, if your mother only knew, etc.
The Roots- web, dynamite, don't feel right, proceed, boom, break you off, thought at work, the next movement, stay cool, dont say nothin, the seed 2.0, a little jungle boogie cover in between songs i had never seen before, a long kirk solo, a short quest vs. knuckles solo, a cool jazzy jeff solo, and the same very long yet always amazing hub solo (comes after break you off).
I think i named about everything, once again dissapointing because of the hype, i do agree it sounds like people backed out. "it aint hard to tell" was the highlight of the show for me, it sounded so good played by the roots and is my favorite nas song. i thought Ghostface was a definite but i guess i was wrong. Excited that we will at least get to see it on dvd, possibly packaged with Game Theory. I am kind of hoping that no big surprises go tomorrow because i wont be able to live with picking the wrong date, but i hope everyone has a good time tomorrow.
44127, new blog, oh well.
Posted by gusto, Fri May-19-06 02:40 AM
at least the money went to a good cause.
and for all the free root shows i been to, 80 bucks evens out. god knows i drank that much at webster hall.
44128, RE: new blog, oh well.
Posted by drokphrend, Fri May-19-06 03:53 AM
this show was awesome, but not. i went to the show at the kimmel center months ago in philly and that show was more fun than tonite. both shows were in performance hall type venues, but with the show in philly lacking the hype. the crowd didnt get into this one until nas came on stage. the energy of the show was just uneven. why bring erykah and dave out if theyre not gonna perform...such a tease. id rather have not known they were there. where was erykah on 'you got me'; she's enough of a fan to show up, but too much of a diva to do her own song? no respiration? rhymes n ammo? something with kweli and the roots? i feel the worse for skillz, at least bdk got to make up for his lost verse.

i patheticly sat for ten minutes after the roots' exit, while the flocks filed out and dizzle stood on stage signing autographs. I could have sworn there was supposed to be an encore. someone was worried about exceeding the time limit and you close at 10:37? rahzel v. jazzy jeff should have happened. kamal didnt get a solo. u.n.i. verse at war? that would have been my 'wet dream' show. if this had been my first roots show i would have been amazed, but im in the double digits and expectations got the best of me. hasta manana.
44129, RE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by hotsauce1132, Fri May-19-06 03:56 AM
am i the only one that thinks that having nas come on first wasn't a smart move?? i mean it's nas probably the highest profile name on the bill and it IS new york city...
44130, lemme put it this way
Posted by 15, Fri May-19-06 09:29 AM
nas came out first because of the 10 guests i had planned?

(see atrueheads post)

nas was....well a "nice" start. coulda only went higher from there.

lightening aint gonna strike twice tonight.

44131, come back with a vengeance tonight, fam
Posted by violence, Fri May-19-06 11:29 AM
44132, extend artists sets and get fined...
Posted by rons1ne, Fri May-19-06 01:30 PM
it'll be worth it in the end.
44133, RE: lemme put it this way
Posted by freeze, Fri May-19-06 11:36 AM
You could tell something was up by how many people were coming up on the riser. I mean, if things were going fine, 758 people don't have to come yell "everything is fine" in your ear.

Did you have b-plans for people not showing? Or just went into normal set...
44134, yep...everytime i saw the guy with dreads go back to him...
Posted by Latina212, Fri May-19-06 11:45 AM
i knew something was up

|latina212|

be fluid~~~
be water~~~
44135, new here.. just visitin.. was at this show.. first time seein the Roots
Posted by The HighLife, Fri May-19-06 04:07 AM
The Roots.. first time seein them.. first off.. 10 minute Bass Guitar solo... i mean c'mon wtf was that.. wtf thats a cue for just get up and leave at any concert... Rahzel with his "IM REALLY DOIN THIS" for 20 minutes... Dj Jazzy Jeff was there.. i love this guy but c'mon couldnt you of picked of your phone and atleast tell The Fresh Prince to come and be a "special guest".. I mean ANYBODY would of been good... Ive seen Big Daddy Kane everywhere to even get excited.. as for the Roots as a whole they were pretty dope.. Black Thought is ridiculous.. Questlove plays the drums.. yes yes he does... maybe its hard to do that and organize such an "extravaganasfdsdaza!".. its just felt like nothin was like it was suppose too..

i was dissapointed..

Talib Kweli.. what 3 songs?? and how u gonna do Definition without the Mighty Mos Def..u got a catalog of other songs i would of love to of heard ... it just didnt work.. even tho Get By was an upper...

Nas.. i met him a year ago at the Fuse telivision studio and he told me his next big NYC show was gonna be free .. and i quote "not like that other New York nigga.. makin u pay this and that just to hear him rhyme"... riiighht ... i would of like to of heard you rhyme a little more durin this show.. what he do 3.. 4 songs?? Lost the beat on World is Yours.. thank god for blackthought to help him out... I can complain about what he didnt play but its just to many to go through...

Common... he definetly was the best... for me alteast.. i never seen his show either and ive heard good things... he just brought it even also with his limited amount of songs he played...

all in all everything just fell short.. We'd watch Nas, Talib, and Common come and go on stage.. I'd reassure myself and my friends that "Oh there definetly comin back out theres no way there endin like that..". It just fell short of what it could of been.. and it could of been alot more.. but what i did learn today is that hype could kill a good thing.. a very good thing infact.. i just hope us thusday people without the friday ticket don't get cheated out of perfection... even though with my luck thats just whats going to happen...
44136, RE: new here.. just visitin.. was at this show.. first time seein the Roots
Posted by illmayo89, Fri May-19-06 08:29 PM
dude..i feel you on everything ending short but first you got to look at the show as an outsider and not a fan..obviously based on many reasons we know that many more special guests were planned...the band had to rehearse for these guests' songs and probably didn't have time in the rehearsal stage to rehearse for all the songs that the "definites" (common, talib, nas) could have done...it really sucks that there were "no shows" but if you look at it from the bands perspective...they cant just be like "yo lets do respiration" all of a sudden when you have day of cancellations...but definitely would have been the concert of the decade if we would have had all the scheduled guests...just sucks that people now have to blame the Roots for the less than extrodinary show...if only the roots band was common, talib and nas' regular band...not only that but this is Radio City people...and the roots themselves were on point even though it was obvious there was a lot of improv
44137, Hmm, it really seemed like they were set up for disappointment
Posted by BlacKnightSC, Fri May-19-06 04:20 AM
I didnt go but when I saw the show started at 8, and had to end before 11, I thought to myself how the hell do you expect to cram so many peformers and suprises at such a show when peformers in general run late? Sorry to hear the show didnt go nearly to plan, better luck next time organizing such a large event.
44138, if it really wasn't all that, then i feel sorry for the roots
Posted by betelgeuse, Fri May-19-06 04:21 AM
but hype can be a bitch, they should know that by now.

i hope night two goes as planned.

good luck!

44139, I feel absolutely terrible
Posted by Troubled Spirits, Fri May-19-06 05:44 AM
I feel terrible bad for the Roots, but especially ?uesto and all their managers (like Ginny)...

This is the type of show that was supposed to propel their careers into the cosmos in anticipation of what should be their most sucessfull album yet. But this scenario may put a big blanket over them for a while.

It must be the worst feeling in the world to prepare for greatness and come up short due to an abundance of technicalities. Hopefully they can come back strong tonight.

Shame on all the missed guests

PS: I saw the Legendary and Common on Tuesday, their last pre-Radio City Show. It was the best show I've ever been to (and ive seen both of them in concert plenty of times)and with all the energy they had throughout, you just KNEW it was gonna lead into Radio City... man, I'm dissapointed for the band and for the fans. Hopefully everything works out.
44140, RE: I feel absolutely terrible
Posted by fowler, Fri May-19-06 06:18 AM
i agree with this, reading questo's blog about not trusting your friends etc is such a shame. However I'm sure it was still a quality show, just not perfect.

All will hopefully be forgotten with 2night's show and Quest's and others hard work will be recognised!

Least the single seems to be getting a good response from what I've seen around different places on the internet.
44141, In retrospect....
Posted by Troubled Spirits, Fri May-19-06 06:25 AM
It would have been better if The Roots and company DID announce all the special guests before hand...

That way, those artists have more pressure to show up. And if they no-show, they will have to deal with their own bad publicity and take the blame themselves.

Since many guests were unannounced and ?uest kept hyping it up, he'll unfortunately (and unfairly) have to shoulder the blame for this.

I wonder if Nas hadn't been announced beforehand, would he have still shown up?

Could Jay be one of the folks who no showed? If so, that would be a terrible and unfortunate situation, since he's the bossman and you can't exactly tell him off for letting you down.

And I have a feeling Mr. Ego, Kanye, was one of the people ?uest keeps referring to in his blogs as a hassle and a half.
44142, yep
Posted by betelgeuse, Fri May-19-06 07:49 AM
>It would have been better if The Roots and company DID announce all
>the special guests before hand... That way, those artists have more
>pressure to show up. And if they no-show, they will have to deal
>with their own bad publicity and take the blame themselves.

very true..

>Since many guests were unannounced and ?uest kept hyping it
>up, he'll unfortunately (and unfairly) have to shoulder the
>blame for this.

let's just wait and see what the papers say about the show.

honestly, quest is one of the biggest hypemachines. he might've been
hyping it up too much. the way he tells a story, you WANT to believe
him. if all had gone well, (t)his hype would've paid off i'm sure.
but from what i hear it didn't. and that'll cost you.

too bad. i hope they're not too down to make this second night work.

44143, see
Posted by 15, Fri May-19-06 09:34 AM
but that was me not "getting yall too hyped"
we spoke of special guests and all but i was like:
well i aint gonna say a word cause i just want people
to really have 0 expectations. but of course a day before a
show i thought "eh nothing can go wrong"---even let ginny tease yall with the
nas photo.

the lesson is learned, but its like next time around i have to do 0 press cause im sure the press angle was all "guests guests and more guests!!!"

44144, RE: see
Posted by btNERD, Fri May-19-06 11:18 AM
?uest,

For what its worth, I had an AMAZING time last night.
Was I disappointed at the lack of "special" guests? A little, but the fact is, I paid $80 to see The Roots with Common, Talib Kweli and Nas, and based on that it was worth every penny.
The faulty mics and guests weren't your fault. Even though you must be feeling like crap, just wanted to let you know that The Roots put on a hell of a show.
44145, basically
Posted by nextmovement, Fri May-19-06 12:33 PM
>?uest,
>
>For what its worth, I had an AMAZING time last night.
>Was I disappointed at the lack of "special" guests? A little,
>but the fact is, I paid $80 to see The Roots with Common,
>Talib Kweli and Nas, and based on that it was worth every
>penny.
>The faulty mics and guests weren't your fault. Even though
>you must be feeling like crap, just wanted to let you know
>that The Roots put on a hell of a show.

my thoughts exactly. this was a $200 show, and i only paid $80 for it. so maybe it could have been a $300 show, it turned out that it wasn't but guess what, it was still worth way more than what i paid or even could have imagined. the show was ill bottom line quest. go kill it tonite.
44146, RE: In retrospect....
Posted by illmayo89, Fri May-19-06 08:45 PM
i don't know if jay was supposed to show but it would've been a little awkward...i mean can you imagine jay z doing only 3-5 songs, because anymore than that and its a hov concert, i am interested in seeing that setlist and knowing who didn't show
44147, RE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by JMoney0160, Fri May-19-06 08:31 AM
But with all this said.....don't you think they are gonna bring it tonight? Ofcourse the Roots themselves know when they have an alright concert compared to a classic one. Maybe they are going to make sure it doesnt happen tonight. It'll be interesting to see how tonight's show goes.
44148, In Fairness
Posted by neighbahoodP, Fri May-19-06 08:47 AM
i think what most people are saying is fair. The show was definitely dope, but they played themselves with all the pre-hype and it wasn't necessary. the bill was already hype, should've just left it alone instead of making us think B.I.G. was gonna show up. bottom line is this was the Roots show and they held it down as always and seeing Nas and Thought on stage embracing each other was special. Nas seemed to get a little emotional before The World is Yours and went on a little rant how Black Thought is one of the illest mcees in the game. I coulda used one or two more Nas joints though, he came and left which made you think he'd return and the level of the show never matched that. forget the special guests, the one sure thing I was waiting for that didn't happen was NY State of Mind.......great show (not even close to Lincoln Center).
44149, RE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by earsareon, Fri May-19-06 08:47 AM
can someone re-post quest's blog post, my work's internet blocks myspace
44150, RE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by neighbahoodP, Fri May-19-06 09:04 AM
Personal Highlights..
very emotional NAS set (madeyoulook, worldisyours,ainthardtotell, ifiruledtheworld)
Act Too came off lovely..
Common did some new verse that was DOPE. anyone remember that?
and Roots did some new ish too, Thoughts lyrics were on point.

criticisms..
i wont bother criticizing what didnt happen, so
we love razhel but that was a bit lengthy...
(and who thoguht Kanye was bout to run out when he was beat boxin' Jesus Walks for 10 minutes?)
we love kweli but spare us Mos' verse...and i personally think kweli comes off a lot
better live when he rhymes in a less hyped voice, anyone remember when he did for a sec?
44151, quest needs to just name names
Posted by B Side, Fri May-19-06 09:04 AM
eff professionalism

just post them on this site, that's not really that public

i just want to know what he actually had in mind for tonight

was it dudes like Slum Village and D'Angelo that stood them up or was it like T.I. and Ghostface?
44152, my heartfelt myspace letter to ?uest:
Posted by taygravy, Fri May-19-06 09:11 AM
Dear ?uesto:

Sorry to hear about the show, fam....but real talk.....fan to fan, brother to brother, grasshopper to master:

You do it to yoursellllllf, just you.......and that's why it really hurrrts (c) Radiohead

Hip Hop didn't let you down last night. Niggers did. (and yes, I'm using the '-er')

We've had these discussions before, and I've STILL yet to figure out why you keep puttin' faith in unappreciative niggers who don't give a shit about you guys' legacy OR have any real loyalty to you personally.

Me and Pooh woulda loved to rock that shit....and I'm not salty about missing out, because I know how much of a circus that shit is to cram in all those acts (see: Okayplayer Winter Break Tour '04) and truthfully I need the time off with the fam (been touring since Janurary).....

I know LB ain't much of a draw 'cause Minstrel Show did "The Best of Phillip Michael Thomas" numbers and all, but still..... Bottom line is, niggas woulda showed up. And delivered. AND you know this.

From the sound of things, your niggas showed up (Com, Kweli,Skillz, Dave, etc), while the niggERS didn't. And while you didn't name names, I have a vague idea of who summa these niggers may be..

I guess my advice is, a) stop underestimating yourself because y'all niggas got to where you are today on the strength of your own hard work and talent, not "....and SPECIAL GUESTS", and b) stop deluding yourself into thinking that these niggers are 'fans' of your work like that....most likely them niggers are Roots 'fans' just like I'm a D4L fan: cool for what it is and can appreciate it on that level, but let's be real: that shit gets no play in my ride (c) Stacy from 'Menace II Society'.

All I'm sayin is, you know who your niggas are.

Like that journalist said, y'all have the opportunity to pull an upset and fuck the homecoming queen in the quarterback's ride with "Game Theory."

But right now, these niggers got you lookin' like Carrie on prom night.

DON'T let that shit happen again.

DON'T trust them new niggers ova there.

Good luck tonight, my nigga.

44153, Bring it to LA...
Posted by rons1ne, Fri May-19-06 09:22 AM
we'll show you how we do.
44154, Yo, at the Hollywood Bowl. Or the Kodak. That'd be dope.
Posted by ZooTown74, Fri May-19-06 11:34 AM
___________________________________________________________________________________________
A thick b****
with big legs
yeah
it's Gutfest '89
44155, kodak or walt disney concert hall...
Posted by rons1ne, Fri May-19-06 11:41 AM
but not hollywood bowl, imo.
44156, RE: my heartfelt myspace letter to ?uest:
Posted by donidintheplace2be, Fri May-19-06 09:35 AM
Tay Gravy stated it best. I just wanna see Baatin, Frank N Dank and Phat Kat for that Dilla Tribute tonight. That is in the plans I hope?
44157, i was hoping y'all came out n rocked a joint
Posted by ju_BOOM, Fri May-19-06 09:40 AM
ah well
44158, i REALLY thought you guys were gonna rock the shit...
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Fri May-19-06 09:46 AM
...seemed like a no brainer ..even if only for one song due to time constraints ...im sure LB wouldnt pass up something like this ...at leat you cats still know wassup
44159, lol
Posted by thashadow, Fri May-19-06 09:47 AM
this is real talk..

but if you read between the lines, you would read

"gimmie a shot questo"..

i'm not mad though.
44160, lmao real talk
Posted by Galatasaray, Fri May-19-06 12:59 PM
44161, lol... how was that between the lines?
Posted by INKtheZionCrewRep, Sat May-20-06 04:40 AM
he clearly said "we woulda rocked that shit"

Kenny Fresh
www.Bling47.com

(by the way, my screenname's lame.)
44162, ^^^^ Real Talk...
Posted by angiebabe3679, Fri May-19-06 10:14 AM
Listen to the man...
44163, Damn
Posted by Big PAT, Fri May-19-06 11:37 AM
that was real talk righ there
44164, LMAO at this
Posted by 58impala, Fri May-19-06 11:38 AM
Like that journalist said, y'all have the opportunity to pull an upset and fuck the homecoming queen in the quarterback's ride with "Game Theory."

real talk tho
44165, ---- yeaaaaa---
Posted by ouesh, Fri May-19-06 02:43 PM
tell em truf
44166, this RIGHT HERE is the truth
Posted by el_rey, Fri May-19-06 06:56 PM

>my advice is, a) stop underestimating yourself because
>y'all niggas got to where you are today on the strength of
>your own hard work and talent, not "....and SPECIAL GUESTS",

'specially sine you been selling out shows since 95, you need to know that YOU are the draw. Bring fam if need be, but know that your fans would packed that place if it was just you. That way you coulda put all your energy into pulling together the best ROOTS show of your carreer, and the fans woulda shown mad love. That way you can truly be in control of the superior musical product you were looking to give (and almost always do).
44167, FUCK IT....
Posted by rons1ne, Fri May-19-06 09:24 AM
bring it down tonight.
extend sets.
get fined the 10-15 grand.
it'll be worth it.
44168, hahahahahahahaha
Posted by ouesh, Fri May-19-06 02:42 PM
indeeed, and make the no shows fit the bill, lol
44169, I want names!
Posted by BGone23, Fri May-19-06 09:43 AM
who didn´t show up?
..roots should do the shows with germans...they always show up on time
44170, Time Constraints of RCMH
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri May-19-06 09:53 AM
I thought there might be problems when I read the interview that said the show had to start promptly at 8:00 and end promptly at 11:00 because RCMH was queasy about doing a rap show. I figure there is no way Quest could get special guest heads to show up on time so early.

Reality check: according to the 2000 census, there were more than 31,000 black physicians and surgeons, 33,000 black lawyers. There are about 1,400 black athletes playing professional basketball, football and baseball combined.
44171, Is it true cameras were allowed last night?
Posted by J_Bear29, Fri May-19-06 09:57 AM
I'm going tonight so I'm curious

Most people die with their music still locked up inside them.
-- Benjamin Disraeli

www.myspace.com/alma_29
44172, there were cameras everywhere....enjoy.
Posted by dilatedpeoples36, Fri May-19-06 10:05 AM
hopefully there won't be a "fuck r&b, i listen to classical" blog tomorrow, even though i didn't get tickets for tonight.
44173, sorry to hear that
Posted by Iltigo, Fri May-19-06 10:07 AM
place a cal to LB, you knwo they'll come through for you.

madagascar titties- (c) phontiggalo the rap jiggalo

I would never, ever hit a woman....but i'll beat a bitch (c) wifey

http://www.myspace.com/iltigo
44174, Wow...and I was gonna eBay this one...glad I didn't
Posted by wancamunca, Fri May-19-06 10:12 AM
44175, fingers crossed for better luck tonight
Posted by wally, Fri May-19-06 10:25 AM
first off, i want to say that they still rocked it last night...seeing that ish in RCMH was a trip...that said, there is no way around the fact that it was a disappointment...at around 9:30, i looked at my boy and said, "we've been through all the announced guests, the next 90 minutes should be constant surprises"...i was wrong...i second the frustrations that have already been named (inexcusable mic problems, rahzel's super-extended stand-up act, 10:35 conclusion, lack of kamal & ?uest solos)

i, too (like many others have already said), would love to hear the names of the no-shows (kanye? jay? em? ghost? atcq?)...however, my guess is that ?uest is probably too smart (professional) to let that ish leak

i am on my way back into the city in an hour or so for tonight's show...gonna eat a big steak before the show (yeah sparks!) and hope that things go better tonight....

asw
44176, i dunno how i feel about about it yet
Posted by fwmj, Fri May-19-06 10:58 AM
rahzel was my fave part tho :/

lookin fwd to tonight

Super!

RAPPERS I KNOW - WWW.RAPPERSIKNOW.COM
44177, all of you hoping to get names - dont get your hopes up.
Posted by HighVoltage, Fri May-19-06 11:03 AM
a business man like quest im smart enough to realize that pointing fingers publically us not going to do him any favors with artist relations down the line.
44178, ya know ?
Posted by allison, Fri May-19-06 11:40 AM

he's got too much class for that bullshit
shame on the artists that flaked out!
44179, the "names" are obvious tho...
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Fri May-19-06 11:46 AM
...and if you were at the show and were paying attention ..you should know 99% of them that was supposed to be there
44180, Oh, are they? (c) Max Fisher
Posted by allison, Fri May-19-06 11:51 AM

that joke was needed
the hate in the post is too much for me

i'm out.

44181, the "hate" in this post?!
Posted by JtothaI, Fri May-19-06 12:26 PM
People are picky when it comes to their money and people dropped more then a couple dimes on this show so I can respect where they are coming from.
44182, eh...yes and no
Posted by dilatedpeoples36, Fri May-19-06 12:51 PM
straight up, i dropped 80 bucks to see common, kweli, nas, and the roots. i hadn't even begun to let my mind wander about surprise guests, etc.

on this front? the show was worth it. the roots MORE than did the nas songs justice, and while he ain't the greatest to do it on stage, hearing him do some classics and show the roots love was great.

common? i hadn't seen common before, and he killed it. energy and stage presence, ridiculous freestyles, great set.

kweli? ripped it as well, it was around here i started to realize that the surprise guest list was shorter than expected...no mos def for the black star joint, no kanye for get 'em high (great verses by com and kweli here though).

so basically as advertised (prior to buying tickets), job well done. kane, truck (did his verse on the mic real nice), skillz (disqualified, no volume on his mic.), jazzy jeff were all good (particularly jeff).

so, to someone who maybe attended the show and didn't have their hopes ridiculously high? stellar show. it flowed pretty well, and there were no obvious gaps or anything.

but...god damn. i was hyped for the roof to open and god hand down the greatest show of all time...right up until about 10:30.

nobody showed out for dilla? for real? busta was obviously supposed to be there...rahzel doing the 'touch it' beat was on point, plus yelling "fire it up!" at some earlier point.

the only song jay dee related was 'dynamite', which was great...but i expected a bit more. maybe even the roots doing some covers or something (f' the police, slum/pharcyde jams?).

still, my main gripe with this show is the awful ending. i'm sure there was some sort of ridiculous exclamation point ending that we'll never know about...but it ended with dave and erykah walking out.

zuh?

really?

glad you could make it, i guess. maybe dave coulda done the intro for 'the mic' or something, erykah do "you got me"...or maybe they coulda just stayed backstage instead of coming out and getting people hyped up for their walk out of rhmc.

i feel bad for ? cause i know this show was his baby...and it never got past the teething stage (deep metaphor alert). he was visibly pissed off/upset at the end, probably more than he even let on. there's few worse feelings than being let down by people, multiply that by the fact that this was on a grand scale, in front of a sold out arena full of fans and media.

in the words of (the absentee) ghostface killah: f' that...i put a lot of money up, i'm hatin'!

p.s. thanks for that lincoln center show a few years back, after all the work put into this one that fell apart, i have a renewed appreciation for that show actually going off more or less as planned. STILL the best show i've ever been to, and i will STILL be copping tickets next time the roots come to town. peace.
44183, whos hating?? I had a great time... show was dope..
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Fri May-19-06 02:33 PM
...we just discussing who stood my man Questlove up and shit ..and cats not complaining about the loot ..ticks were copped @ the $80+ price on the strength of the bulk of that going to Dilla moms and the Lupis foundation

..honestly, i dont think hip hop artists are used to being on the schedule that this show was on ..last 5 shows i been too nobody ever shows up on time, or anywhere near to being on time ..RCMH is different ..the artists woudl have had to treat it like the grammies to keep everything in schedule ..oh well ...the hub solo was not a bad fill in AT ALL ..shit was ill as fuck ..Razhel & Jeff solos were crazy too
44184, Sigh
Posted by Tier_Reserved, Fri May-19-06 11:03 AM
Nothing I can say that hasn't been said 101 times in this post...

This is my problem :

Was I looking forward to this show, and all of it's "guests" being a non-stop assault on my hip hop senses? Yes..

But at the end of the day, there was one main reason I came to the show...

TO SEE THE ROOTS AT RADIO CITY!

I guess that's where my disappointment lies... Yes - there was no Ghostface, Kanye, Tribe, De La, Treach, Domino, Mellow Man Ace, whatever.

I would have left that place with a Kool Aid smile if in their place, I could have heard "Clones", "Do You Want More", "Respond/React", etc in that venue.

I'm not asking for Jay Z to come flying in on Marty McFly's hover board.. Just give me the cuts that made me a fan to begin with!

44185, RE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by Pete Da Heat, Fri May-19-06 11:52 AM
I really enjoyed myself last night. The venue is gorgeous. I thought the roots were extremely energetic with the perfomance, and I really like the instrumentals on nas' stuff and commons stuff. I got the set list after the show, and yeah there were some big plans for the show that never happened. Including a couple of 5 minute (what i assume would be comedy sets) sets from Mr. Chappelle and 4 songs from Ghostface. I wasnt dissappointed though. Just the face that there were people up top on their feet having a good time, I realized this was a special night. The roots tore the shit up. Thank you for the awesome night.
44186, Stop snitching!
Posted by rhymesandammo, Fri May-19-06 12:14 PM
44187, damn
Posted by Troubled Spirits, Fri May-19-06 12:32 PM
Chappelle musta shown up late...

and Ghost?

damn....

can u post the setlist?
44188, hook us up w/ the setlist
Posted by betelgeuse, Fri May-19-06 02:59 PM
i'm curious..
44189, now i wasnt there, but that would explain why quest appeared mad
Posted by .Mica., Fri May-19-06 05:34 PM
at dave at the end, huh?

like if he was late and whatnot and only showed up at the end.

maybe same with erykah?
44190, okay, was it really that bad....some thoughts on all of this (no hate)
Posted by 58impala, Fri May-19-06 11:57 AM
rcmh is not the most important night of the roots career

look at the jimmel center show in philly last year, hometown, first hip hop group to play at teh center, easily the flagship show of that tour season

there was also the unplugged ish with jigga, mtv and jigga man exporsure, ill bet that was the "biggest" night of the roots career

yeah, fromt the looks of it 1st night of rcmh was a fuck up, but the roots will recover. if ashley simpson can get caught lipsyncing live on snl, stil have fans (even college aged gals i know still like her songs, so it just little girls) still have a career afterwards, the roots can recover.

just go ahead and pull that upset, its not that often that you get a second chance to blow away audience at rcmh in the same week.

and just make sure that your flagship show after the release of game theory is a sure fire hit, because that will be the most important show of the roots career.
44191, how the biggest night not going to include thought though?
Posted by .Mica., Fri May-19-06 05:36 PM
>there was also the unplugged ish with jigga, mtv and jigga man
>exporsure, ill bet that was the "biggest" night of the roots
>career
44192, ANYBODY NEED A TICKET FOR TONIGHT?!?!
Posted by 1Mind, Fri May-19-06 12:36 PM
i got one...get in touch...

-1Mind
44193, RE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by earsareon, Fri May-19-06 12:49 PM
One thing that really bothers me about the show was that this was a tribute for J.Dilla and I really expected to see a lot more people that hew was close with. Honestly, A Tribe Called Quest was a must, that's their boy. Slum Village was a must. Busta Rhymes was a shoulda. These are people who worked with him a great deal and they owed it his honor to be there. I hope they show tonight. As nice at it was to see BDK and Nas, I would have appreciated heartfelt appearances from Madlib and Pharcyde a lot more. Also I wasn't too keen on the album promotion stuff, why not have pictures of J. Dilla on the signs that were over the stage and J. Dilla in lights instead of Game Theory. I don't know, as someone who was there more for J. Dilla than anything else, I was a bit let down by the "tribute". I wanted to hear some stories, more J.Dilla songs (The Light and Dynamite were certainly appreciated), seemed more like a Kanye West tribute for a little while with Get 'Em High, Get By, and all the BE stuff when it so easily could have been Blackstar's Little Brother, Thelonius. And where was the live version of Fall In Love that would have meant the world to a tribute. Anyway, that's too much complaining for how I feel, but it's just some thoughts on it.
44194, RE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by earsareon, Fri May-19-06 01:01 PM
Oh and by the by, don't ever EVER say "I had a dream about my man last night And my man came by the studio And his name is..." at a Dilla tribute concert unless you're about to bring out Busta or Tribe, that's just cold.
44195, RE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by illmayo89, Fri May-19-06 08:41 PM
yeah about the "game theory signs"...remember that as much as a tribute concert this was, it was being advertised as "The roots will debut their late-summer release, Game Theory, with a 2 night show at radio city music hall" i appreciate THEM making it into a tribute concert and appreciate the moment of silence, and big up to all the fans out there who were there because its been a while since a moment of silence involved much silence...keep it up OKPs
44196, hol' up! Kweli makes those blogs
Posted by ju_BOOM, Fri May-19-06 01:09 PM
but no boos? he still says the verse "big up to okayplayer"?

iont get it
44197, i know the pussies who didn't show will never read this...
Posted by DownSinceOrganix, Fri May-19-06 02:10 PM
but FUCK YOU!

i now feel better
44198, Pussies? Ever consider that they were held up in traffic
Posted by rhymesandammo, Fri May-19-06 02:14 PM
or there were matters that were out of their hands? We all know they fucked up, but c'mon now...
44199, Pissed I broke my 2nd show only rule. Lets all show up tonight...
Posted by Blackgirlattheshow, Fri May-19-06 01:57 PM
...with our 5/18 ticket stubs.
44200, Yo, were you the black girl at the show?
Posted by rhymesandammo, Fri May-19-06 02:12 PM
44201, I'm ALWAYS the black girl at the show
Posted by Blackgirlattheshow, Fri May-19-06 02:23 PM
There were a couple other there. We waved at each other.
44202, hahah thats usually my rule...
Posted by dilatedpeoples36, Fri May-19-06 02:20 PM
but when it's a matter of "hip-hop show" vs. "non-hiphop show"...i'll take night 1 over 2 any day.

now, if tonight...all these people that were supposed to be there last night show up...that would not be cool. at all.
44203, exactly! The Roots can recover quickly...but my finances?
Posted by Blackgirlattheshow, Fri May-19-06 02:25 PM
another story
44204, yup...i have a feeling that reading about tonights show
Posted by dilatedpeoples36, Fri May-19-06 02:41 PM
is going to piss me off.
44205, RE: yup...i have a feeling that reading about tonights show
Posted by nextmovement, Fri May-19-06 03:12 PM
>is going to piss me off.

arg. so true.
44206, Damn. Yall are lucky..
Posted by InSOULated, Fri May-19-06 02:36 PM
to even be there.. despite technical difficulties.
44207, MTV snitches: Ghostface and Raekwon
Posted by Troubled Spirits, Fri May-19-06 03:38 PM
Yup.... Ghost was gonna do "Cher Chez LaGhost" with Erykah.... then Ghost, Rae, and Nas were gonna do "Verbal Intercourse"...

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1532168/20060519/roots.jhtml?headlines=true

{shakes head}

44208, woah
Posted by clear_eyes, Fri May-19-06 04:05 PM
>Yup.... Ghost was gonna do "Cher Chez LaGhost" with
>Erykah.... then Ghost, Rae, and Nas were gonna do "Verbal
>Intercourse"...

As dope as the latter woulda been, I'm pretty sure Cher Chez LaGhost woulda killed it.

EDIT: And Nas has performed with the Fugees and their band back in '96, so I don't know what he's talking about.
44209, damn, that's right
Posted by Troubled Spirits, Fri May-19-06 04:12 PM
I forgot about that Columbia tour with Nas and Fugees... i heard one of the shows, and he was definately backed by the Refugee Camp...
44210, Say it ain't so...
Posted by WarriorQueen360, Sat May-20-06 05:08 AM
I didn't have the funds to go any way. I would've enjoyed myself no matter what.
44211, Say it ain't so...
Posted by WarriorQueen360, Sat May-20-06 05:08 AM
I didn't have the funds to go any way. I would've enjoyed myself no matter what.
44212, to quest
Posted by sherm09, Fri May-19-06 03:45 PM
yeah so--

I understand that we all were hyped for the show for about 2 months now--I know for myself I was looking foward to it a great deal...and I unfourtantley didn't have the privelage of being able to afford both nights so I chose the first cause the headliners were better for what I like

Now i must say--nas ripped it, comm ripped it, kweli was nice, and the roots as a whole did rip it...The music that was performed came out ILL (despite some tech difficulties..and sometimes the show not exactly flowing)

As far as the whole special guest situation...This is coming from someone who was THAT excited about the show due to the special guests that were pretty hyped. I was disappointed that there weren't as many guests as I thought--BUT--i think i speak for everyone Quest when I say we ain't mad at you man...we know this shit wasn't your fault. it's really unfourtanant that your "people" couldn't fuckin show up for you--but that's what happens when you deal with hollywood motha fuckas...and in no way is this a reflection on you--you did not fuck up--you worked your ass off trying to do something for us....and after the show-despite you being noticably upset...you still treated me and my friends with love when we confronted you--and took a picture--as you were about to leave--which shows the type of dude you are

the only thing i'm kickin myself is that I didn't put up another 80 bucks to go with my friends for the second show tonight..cause i know you're gonna kill that shit...good luck--and forget about last night and all your "people" that didn't show up for you..ain't your fault homie

-SHerm
44213, RE: to quest
Posted by DownSinceOrganix, Fri May-19-06 03:57 PM
>yeah so--
>
>I understand that we all were hyped for the show for about 2
>months now--I know for myself I was looking foward to it a
>great deal...and I unfourtantley didn't have the privelage of
>being able to afford both nights so I chose the first cause
>the headliners were better for what I like
>
>Now i must say--nas ripped it, comm ripped it, kweli was nice,
>and the roots as a whole did rip it...The music that was
>performed came out ILL (despite some tech difficulties..and
>sometimes the show not exactly flowing)
>
>As far as the whole special guest situation...This is coming
>from someone who was THAT excited about the show due to the
>special guests that were pretty hyped. I was disappointed that
>there weren't as many guests as I thought--BUT--i think i
>speak for everyone Quest when I say we ain't mad at you
>man...we know this shit wasn't your fault. it's really
>unfourtanant that your "people" couldn't fuckin show up for
>you--but that's what happens when you deal with hollywood
>motha fuckas...and in no way is this a reflection on you--you
>did not fuck up--you worked your ass off trying to do
>something for us....and after the show-despite you being
>noticably upset...you still treated me and my friends with
>love when we confronted you--and took a picture--as you were
>about to leave--which shows the type of dude you are
>
> the only thing i'm kickin myself is that I didn't put up
>another 80 bucks to go with my friends for the second show
>tonight..cause i know you're gonna kill that shit...good
>luck--and forget about last night and all your "people" that
>didn't show up for you..ain't your fault homie
>
>-SHerm

Great Post man
44214, RE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by alindenver, Fri May-19-06 04:26 PM
*puts "sacrifice" on the headphones and turns it up*
44215, fuck.
Posted by andrizzle, Fri May-19-06 04:33 PM
itsall been said. but i gotta say it again.

i've never been so disappointed at a roots concert, ever.

the horrible audience at villanova where people were sittin down when the next movement and the seed came on... that was the one.

but now this tops it.

was it worth 80? fuck yeah, all roots concerts are worth the money.

but even if i went there with 0 expectations, just expecting good ol' roots, that's just what i would've gotten, just what i expected. and i always get more than i expect at a roots concert.

if ur people let u down, why couldn't erykah do just 1 chorus? chappelle make just 1 joke? where the fuck was the respiration reunion? this is just the shit i would've expected, WITHOUT expectations. were we really supposed to believe that we had to buy tickets to BOTH nights to get the full experience we all wanted? cause if that was the case then i would've rather paid $160 for both, or i would've rather just not gone at all.

but what's been said has been said.

roots did a great job
nas is always a pleasure
bdk, never seen him live, so even tho it's 'been done', it was fresh to me. tight.
rahzel was an animal
jazzy jeff got shit poppin
kirk is always fun
hub was nasty
etc. etc. etc.

i'm not mad tho. i'm sad. this show shouldn't have been about "at least..." like the above mentioned. i was plannin on lookin back on this night like as if i was there when the mets took it game 7 @1986, like, "damn, shit like that is NEVER gonna happen again."
44216, ghost and rae: irresponsible, egotistical
Posted by nextmovement, Fri May-19-06 07:32 PM
... niggERs (c) tay

yo where do these guys get off pullin some shit like that, as if they're bigger acts than anyone on the bill. I may be salty that I didn't get to see verbal intercourse backed by the legendary, but truth still is that as of right now the roots have more going for them than either rae or ghost, and ?uest obviously (as last night proved) didn't need them to make the show ill. but if you tell a man you're gonna be there, and he tells everyone to expect somebody like you there, then man up and fucking be at the show.

cause for people who don't know what really happened, it unfairly makes ?uest look bad for hyping up more guest appearances. but for everyone who now knows what really went down, it's just more reason not to give a fuck about fishscale.
44217, in their defense:
Posted by taygravy, Fri May-19-06 07:57 PM
I think the entire Wu-Tang was banned from RCMH some years back...
44218, alrite, noted. n/m
Posted by nextmovement, Fri May-19-06 08:44 PM
>I think the entire Wu-Tang was banned from RCMH some years
>back...
44219, damn if thats the case, why be 100% sure they were gonna show?
Posted by .Mica., Fri May-19-06 09:39 PM
cats thought they could be smuggled in?
44220, yo this has NOTHING to do with fishscale son...
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Fri May-19-06 08:57 PM
...that album is DOPE reguarless if ghost didnt show to RC or not
44221, lol
Posted by allison, Fri May-19-06 09:05 PM

you read my mind...
44222, yo thats pretty much of my point son
Posted by nextmovement, Fri May-19-06 09:15 PM
regardless of how dope it is, pulling shit does nothing for his cause and in fact does him harm. it could be a supposedly classic album, but i ain't gonna go out and support some dirty ass artist who's messin around like this. i said nothing about the quality of fishscale.

i'm sayin maybe i was anticipating cuban linx 2. and maybe now i'm not gonna be one of the 350,000 people who actually go out and buy it.
44223, Just a note about Raekwon
Posted by CMcMurtry, Fri May-19-06 09:42 PM
I'm as big a Chef fan as you'll find on here. OB4CL is my favorite album of all time. I can recite 90% of Raekwon's verses, including the rare B-side shit.

But dude does this a lot.

He was supposed to be a part of Nas' Central Park show two summers ago. Didn't show. Meanwhile, Talib Kweli, who wasn't even scheduled to perform, jumped the fence and fought off the crowd just to see the show.

Rae seems like an unreliable guy as far as these things are concerned.

In fact, with the exception of Meth & RZA, the Wu as a whole has this reputation, and for a reason.
44224, Yeah, I got love for the Wu too, but...
Posted by Anfernee, Sat May-20-06 12:43 AM
I saw GZA (with Muggs) last week. The show was supposed to start at maybe like 9pm or something. Dude gets on at.......12:50 AM! Mostly high and/or drunk and shit. Muthafucka, what the fuck?! Come on!

Step yo' game up, Genius!
44225, Yeah
Posted by queenisisdivine, Mon May-22-06 12:39 PM
I'm a huge fan of both Ghost and Rea but I'm not at all surprised that they were no shows. It kinda falls in line with their character.

I'm so FoCuSeD
~>http://www.myspace.com/hiphopgyrl
~>http://ihearthiphop.blogspot.com
44226, niggas did this to dilla?
Posted by all stah, Sat May-20-06 01:09 AM
No excuse for mofo's agreeing to perform and then not show up. Some of the proceeds went to Dilla..." I got no time for fake moves"
44227, GHOSTFACE is one that didn't show
Posted by budz4zo, Sat May-20-06 01:25 AM
Ghostface was planned and i aint even mad caus as much as i like him, he aint the greatest performer

but how u get invited to this shit, have a mini-set planned, and not show up at all?!?!?!?

that's fucked up ghost, u lost mad respect in my book...
44228, naw man, yall pullin my weave.
Posted by PinkTaurus, Sat May-20-06 03:22 AM
say it ain't so.
when i heard all of the folk that was going to be there i got butterflies n shit. i can t remember who it was, but i do remember trying to forget because i was too broke to come out there.

this was going to be my birfday present. hopefully the second night was better.

Me? id get tired of that shit real quick. yall get treated like the most famous unfamous negroes on this EARTH. what is it?
44229, I went both days....
Posted by ChampD1012, Sat May-20-06 12:45 PM
I enjoyed both days.

It was worth the money i spent for it.

?uest looked pissed from my view on Thursday, but it was still a great show and they fixed the sound issues for Friday....

People saying it was the worst Roots show they been to on Thursday is insane.

But then again...this is the first I've gone to a Roots show with guest...

Seeing Nas being backed the Roots was worth the price of admission alone.
44230, reflections on both nights
Posted by wally, Sat May-20-06 03:55 PM
thurs:

thought & ?uest to gets things started
talib’s freestyle okayplayer shoutout
the explosion of the crowd when the “made you look” beat dropped
common’s energy during “go”
rahzel’s “jesus walks”
moment of silence
laxed rcmh security
?uest not feeling chappelle’s appreciation at the end of the show
“i used to love h.e.r./act too…the love of my life”
10:35?!?!?!?!?!?
no rahzel vs. jazzy jeff?
was that j-dilla’s mom on stage?
kane making everyone forget about his mic problems
?uest’s “no vaseline” myspace blog

fri:

the entrance (great photos of the band coming down our aisle)
mos on the hook of sv’s “selfish”
“double trouble”
i love it when there are horns in hip hop
another hot version of “you got me”
j*davey’s headdress (?)
that was a blazin’ steak at sparks
“my mellow my man”
radiohead sample going way over my head
chappelle’s secrect
double ray tribute
biggie & pac tribute
crowd’s reaction to “my name is Hov…”
classic...thank you

asw

44231, you forgot:
Posted by diz, Sat May-20-06 05:17 PM
Raise it up
The Seed 2.0 (friday night - on crack)
HOV only needs to do 1.5 songs for 4 minutes. That was all that was needed. I love that. The icing on the cake.

Thank you to questlove and the legendary hard working sure shot from philadelphia. I can't wait for Game Theory, and I can't wait to see how you outdo this show. That's the real challenge.

Come back soon.

44232, RE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by NonGroupie_SemiStalkinFan, Sun May-21-06 03:57 PM
I cant help to believe some of yall aint real Roots fans or ever been to a real concert. I had to go thru both shows before I said anything.

1. The Roots is the Headliner
2. Rap dudes dont show up regardless if their names be on the bill if they dont wanna
3. If u aint had the money u shouldnt have spent it!

With all that said as long as roots showed up why u bitchin? Knowing dudes dont show up why would u place so much damn emphasis on that being the reason why u comming to the show, sidebar when yall aint even know who the hell was suppose to be there?! And no forced u to fork over $80 it wasnt no hidden fees. yall honestly got issues smh.

I honestly had more fun night one.
Only thing Id complain about was ?uest not throwing the drumsticks into the crowd night 2 since I was closer to the stage. But then again he probably wasnt tryna knock nobody out second time around :7
44233, RE: Roots & Friends Radio City Music Hall Highlights Post:
Posted by makaveli, Sun May-21-06 07:03 PM
let's also note that both nights shows were almost completely different. i was glad i got to hear both versions of "the seed."
44234, anyone else think thursday's version of the Seed was
Posted by okphenix, Sun May-21-06 11:19 PM
extra fast? good for energy but it messed with my head at the same time
44235, i enjoyed myself
Posted by freedomfighter_pnk, Mon May-22-06 07:30 AM
i came down from toronto with a couple guys for the thursday night show. we all had a good time. we were also expecting some special guests, but we took the show for what it was.

how was fridays line-up? sv and hov came out? what did they perform? any one else worth noting?
44236, "This Whole World is Cold and Ugly" (c) Mos - Live Ass Show
Posted by jimi, Mon May-22-06 09:28 AM
NY wasn't ready for J'davey, they had the stage jumpin the whole time they was up there and people were lunchin'.

Props to The Roots w/ the marching band, Great Beginning. I saw it at the kimmel center too, but you can't get enough. Slum Village was a surprise. I got really hype when they did 'raise it up', the beat started and here they come running out the stage. Im not gonna lie either, i started looking for Jay Dee when it came on. I love his verse on that song, they all did it and it had that effect like wow.

Angelique Kidjo definitely had me dancing to the drums, she was strong with hers. You couldn't just sit there (you had to dance, sing along or something), at least i couldnt just sit there.

The Roots of course did there thing, the next movement, love of my life, the mic, you got me (i likes this version), hip hop 101, Double Fucking Trouble with Mos Def.

Mos Def, man what can i tell you about dude. He seemed overwhelmed, when he saw the crowd but he did his thing. Double Trouble, Umi Says, The Intro on the New Danger Album, Universal Magnetic, Ms Fat Booty. It was a pleasure to see dude rocking the house.

Slum Village also did Selfish, w Mos Def contributing to the hook. And Fall In Love, might i add was So lovely to hear live

Dave Chapelle describing how he dodged Oprah's questions like the Matrix had me dying and of course his reasons of why he left the show and why how he wants us all to "Never Leave Him" was also hilarious. You know what he came at a perfect time because I haven't sat down yet since The Roots started marching down the aisle

Another surprise, Bilal, He always does his thing and he was a great addition to the show. Sometimes and the Radiohead cover, btw He blew that shit away, all good.

Erykah, Erykah, what can i tell you. Sexy as usual. Block on lock, the glock's on cock and you KNOW that you got me, what a combination.

J'Davey, shorty in them little ass shorts, *Two Thumbs Up*. I saw her walking up the aisle with another okp (FE), I was ready to snatch her ass up. but naw, I like her performance, well their performance, i keep forgeting about dude on the keyboard. If i wasn't so tired already (mind you the show just started not too long ago), I would have been jumping the whole time she was on. She is... whats the word... Lively. Why didn't they do "NO MORE", i was kinda sad about that but i couldn't complain.

My name is Hov, H to Oh Vee, Yes I surprised to see Mr presidente in the show but like fwmj said, I was quite upset that the crowd didn't go as apenuts for everybody else. but i could understand, because nobody expected him to come out. I thought kamal was just doing his solo thing, he started playing 'PSA' and im like 'yeah kamal, whatever nigga, yeah i know you can play, so what' then BT comes out on some 'ole i would like to introduce to you our next guest' with the song is still on, when i saw dude in the hoodie, it was a wrap, I knew who it was but i couldn't believe til he said those first lines. Damn.

Dj Jazzy "there it is!!(C) Run-DMC" Jeff, brought me back when he did his solo. I was drunk too, (I had one big cup of thug passion the whole night), and when that beat came on, I was loose. Them speakers had me in a trance.

Also ?uest drums was feeling extra Boomish, too. Looks like he was having fun, especially when J'Davey was on, It looked as if he was beating his drums with his head.

The Misc: Hub's solo, The horns on the side, Knuckles, Cpt. Kirk showing what he does best.

Awesome Show. ####

44237, wow.
Posted by andrizzle, Mon May-22-06 12:29 PM
i guess i should've went to the friday show instead. what a fuckin rip.