Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectOnly went Friday
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=43843&mesg_id=43943
43943, Only went Friday
Posted by Nova X O, Sun May-21-06 12:46 AM
I had heard the sounds .... Griping from my peoples who went Thurs. But I was undeterred ... I had already drove down from Rhode Island and took a day off work just to be there. I do not know exactly what happened Thurs (other than hearsay)but my peoples were none too happy ... in fact one had tickets to both shows and decided not to go the second night just out of principal.
Sucky for Him....
So where to begin .... Bilal showed up. First he went into everywhere and was the background vocal lead in for ?uest's Drum Solo. He did sing my Song - Sometimes sooo there was much rejoicing. (Hehe) Seriously though this show was Hot .... not the best Roots show ever (I personally experienced the Roots in a smaller venue for the first time back in 94' and I am prone to wax Nostalgia) But Hot.

Everyone knows Mos was coming, Erykah, and J Davey were in, and by that evening I had heard that Jazzy was a lock, but Dave Chappelle doing a good 20 minute set for intermission.... then Bilal singing Sometimes ..... Not to mention Jay Z. Mos rocking w' Slum Village and reppin' J. Dilla was nice. (Although Slum Village Set should have been just one song...the first one raise it up and that's it.... Therefore allowing Angelique more time or even something a little different from J Davey)

When Jay walked on stage this asian chick started grabbing people randomly and screaming @ them. Tariq is a Beast and flexxed Stay Cool. Angelique Kidjo is my aunties and grandmothers' favorite so to see her rockin w' the Roots is phenom. (One Song though... come on!). Jazzy Jeff was tight (albeit brief) but I expect nothing less from a master. J Davey is on some real ROCKSTAR SHIT.

The only thing I can think of that would have shocked me any harder than some of the great surprises last night would be if Austin Powers (AKA Mike Myers as...) came out and flowed into BBC or Daddy Wasn't there then @ the End of the show when Jay Z came out have them go into Hard Knock life ...Dr. Evil verses Hov!

Whot!

Strongest Closer in the Game!
"The Weak Survive & The Strong Evolve!"
WWW.xanga.com/Travisthought