Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectthe energy was amazing...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=43843&mesg_id=43942
43942, the energy was amazing...
Posted by ekwil, Sun May-21-06 12:38 AM
...especially at the beginning and end of the show. The entrance/exit (both came right by me. I sat in the last row of the orchestra... I couldn't believe it when I turned around to see who was playing the drums behind me at the beginning of the show to see Quest, followed by Thought with his megaphone). I couldn't clearly hear all of what Thought was saying when they entered, but he was a slightly different version of "Duck Down" by the time they reached the stage.
-angleique was great.. I also liked how they went into "Water No Get Enemy" (I think that was it) when her set ended.
-Seeing "Double Trouble" performed live with Mos and BT was a dream come true, as was an amazing "Umi Says"
-Mos kept talking about how people sing the chorus to "Ms. Fat Booty" without knowing the words
-Jazzy Jeff tore it up
-it seemed that a lot of people weren't really sure what to make of J. Davey. I thought they were dope, especially their second song (I'm not really familiar with their stuff, but they brought a lot of energy)\
-Chappelle telling the crowd that he dodged Oprah's questions Matrix-style was great. His thoughts on "The Game" and his bit about Iceberg Slim was some pretty serious ish. I've seen Chappelle live before and he was on some serious/intense (albeit still funny) ish.
-it was good to see Bilal. I noticed, too (someone mentioned it in an earlier post) that he walked very solemnly off the stage. The man can sing.
-Erykah brought great presence. She took her time but did so with purpose. She even gave a shout to Okayplayer ("Can I get an Ookkaaypplaaaaaayyeerrr???") that many in the crowd seemed to appreciate.
-"You Got Me" was AMAZING... definitely a highlight. It was the most powerful performance of that song that I've heard The Legendary do. Kirk, E, Kamal, and BT were great.
-I had a great look of the entire orchestra going BANANAS when "PSA" came on.
-the exit was dope. Every person I saw on the way out had a smile and visible sense of elation/disbelief at what they just saw.

Thanks to the Roots and all the other performers for a great show.