Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectbut i assume that
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=43405&mesg_id=43539
43539, but i assume that
Posted by 15, Sat May-27-06 05:58 PM
dre 3000 gets a pass?

people wern't feeling j'davey because they are NOT celebrities.

i hate to call a spade a spade. but that is the bottom line.

and i am NOT using okayplayers favorite "D/r" word but....

the name of the game is "fame" and "tricks" and "celebrity'.

even these misguided "critics" panned us for not being celebrities.

i love hov and all...but after soloing his vocals from friday? i DARE any motherfucka to come up in my face with any shit about tariq.

tariq projects better than ANY mc in his field.
tariq has THE BEST breath control.

this is where critics have a problem with us.

the whole "engaging" shit. ala "dance for your supper" trick. com does this well. i mean to each his own....com is ALLLLLLL over the place, its a wonder he can rap and breathe. but all of that ENERGY!!! it makes rash all that much more engaging. you want him to WIN. and you know...he is working on his "play nice" schitick" but riq hates the idea of "tapdancing". i mean he wasn't EVER about the "let me please you" stance EVER in his career.

(well if that is the case ahmir, you can't complain and whine then)

but i don't complain and whine. i just observe.

this cat from the voice all but calls Nas' appearance a miracle. but yet and still ignores the facts that make people interested in nas:

his @@@@@ endorsement from the source when it was credible.
his riding the fugees magic carpet ride to hit glory
his contender for the nyc crown
his beef with jay z
his SURVIVING that beef with jigga (don't believe me? how many of you copped the new mobb? now how many of you own "the infamous"? see?)

you can't just dismiss all that when judging an artist.

i mean sure an artist should be judged on talent alone. but this is 2006 and mofos don't play that way. its a wonder that i still have a good job.

his legend, his endorsement, and his life outside of his art makes people interested in nas.

but other than that? he didn't project all that well nor did he remember the lyrics from said classics.

but he is a celeb so long live the king.

to me my favorite moment was bilal. but people sat through that because they didn't know bilal and he is not famous.

friday wasn't all THAT special come to think of it:

if dave and hov and erykah never showed up then i think it woulda gotten panned just the same.

i chose to endorse j'davey the same reason why i endorsed erykah, and cody, and mos, and jill, and bilal, PPP, LB, and slum before they had deals simply because based on the talent they offered on the table i believed in what they were doing.

like its so easy to endorse gnarles now that they got the initial euro success. their new york party pulled more celebs than my night. (damn hov...you couldn't take the mrs to her first roots show? i gotta play dressup to draw bees to honey?)

the answer is yes.

its that way here.

and its that way there.

again.

tricks
smoke
mirrors
and celebrity.

we (the roots) are on a thin line.---

hope im around next year.