Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectnot artless fault
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=43405&mesg_id=43444
43444, not artless fault
Posted by 15, Sun May-21-06 02:28 PM
this is my analogy:

i drive a scion.
that shit is the MOST comfortable ride ever.
space.
compact
i can duck and bob and weave
do 100 and no po po on my ass
i know that shit like the back of my hand.
it will take a MIGHTY fine replacement to make me switch.

so we been on a scion (as far as the board we use and etc)

then we got an idea....

"since this night is so damn special....why dont we get a BENTLEY!!!!"

a stick at that.

so sight unseen we got the ULTIMATE soundboard and speaker system.

now with the constraints on the venue

(you get 5 hours to SET UP--and a show this big takes about 3 hours just to set up....not even SOUNDCHECK...that means set jeff's turntables, set the lights, my drums, the speakers....and if you go ONE SECOND past shut off time 6:00pm dinner break they charge you $5,000 bucks. rcmh got the HARDEST union rules. its not even like "you must stop playing at 6pm" it is "YOU MUST LEAVE AND NOT COME BACK AT 5:55" remember when the carter got busted in new jack city? and the alarms were going off? at 5:50 four people come in with bullhorns. and they annoy the fuck out of you:

"PEOPLE YOU HAVE 9 MINUTES TO CLEAR THE AREA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"PEOPLE YOU HAVE 3 MINUTES TO CLEAR THE AREA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

on night two i left my cell phone on the floor tom and told my drum tech to get it and the nazi timekeeper said you have 1 minute and 30 seconds or we will be charged.

he ran on some mcguyver shit.

so because we are the ONLY standard of a band that plays "hip hop" (in other words with bob dylan you just turn the volume up and check the levels do a half hour worth of tunes and you cool....with us we got to adjust to the room.

on the real we need 3 hours just so that the drums can bang.

so it wasnt his fault.

next time we get a night this big.

we need to just "treat it like its boston" do what we used to on the equipment we ALWAYS use.