Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectCpt. Kirk and Knuckles --- where they come from?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=41983
41983, Cpt. Kirk and Knuckles --- where they come from?
Posted by PungeePyPy, Fri Aug-18-06 09:39 PM
how did they end up joining The Roots? I don't think Knuckles adds much that any other percussionist couldn't add. he seems to do pretty rudimentary stuff.
41984, RE: Cpt. Kirk and Knuckles --- where they come from?
Posted by punch, Fri Aug-18-06 10:09 PM
He(Knuckles) does a pretty good job of playing several odd quest-produced noises at once.

he can dance like a buffoon.

what mo could you ask fo??
41985, RE: Cpt. Kirk and Knuckles --- where they come from?
Posted by TheNewAddiction, Sat Aug-19-06 09:23 AM
I don't know where they came from and don't really care. All I know i s that Cpt. Kirk blows Ben Kenney out of the water. Better singer and stage prescence too.
41986, yea but...
Posted by PungeePyPy, Sat Aug-19-06 10:24 AM
anyone could do what knuckles does. give me the spot ?uest and I'll rip it up for ya
41987, you're high.
Posted by kinetic94761180, Sat Aug-19-06 11:14 AM
(& knucks is from kingston, jamaica / capt. kirk from brooklyn?)
41988, not even tryin' to hate but...
Posted by PungeePyPy, Sat Aug-19-06 11:28 AM
he's not bringing a deep groove to the table. he's only displaying chops up on stage, nothing deep or moving.
41989, its his chemistry with quest that makes him special
Posted by HighVoltage, Sat Aug-19-06 11:44 AM
i dont think you understand the timing involves and the ability to be on the same page with him at all times to complete the drum grooves.
41990, oh as a drummer I think I understand...
Posted by PungeePyPy, Sat Aug-19-06 12:40 PM
and especially as a drummer who's really listened to ?uest's rock-solid timing, i understand the timing required.
41991, "nothing moving"
Posted by 15, Sat Aug-19-06 02:13 PM
lol--he moved you enough to write about him though....

that right there tells me that you wouldn't even understand the language.

my requirements for being down aint based on how you can juggle, do the dishes, sing "ring around the rosey" and chew gum at once.

its the language:

"rell that shit"

i yell that shit at a moments notice and he knows the 4 things that must be done to make me happy in 2 seconds.

"rade me up"

that is a reference that requires him to play congos/bongos/hand sonic/triggers at once.

"do this son!"

that is my on the dime "break" on the 3 that you must be lightening quick to get

"dre it"

add 808 cymbals on the kick.

"ye it"

you gotta know what patch i want and in an instant.

1."jay dee"
2."dilla"
3."ummah"
4."slum"
5."puck it"
6."detroit"
7. "nuts"

a) skip the pattern once every 3 times
b) use the "we will rock you" patch clap
c) go to patch 48 use the claps
d) use shuffle and snaps
e) the 8 second 808 kick
f) play real fucked up on this part
g) shuffles on the 16

you're right.
on surface the shit aint all that remarkable.
but that is missing the point in this day and age of musicians
tryna show off they chops.
id rather play with someone i got chemistry with than the best percussionist in the world.
there is no job training for this gig.
however what makes frank PERFECT for this gig
is his willingness to sponge shit in.

you gonna tell me if i tell you to "rell it up" that you gonna know off the bat which pharrell reference im talking about?

this is the result of two cats playing with each other for about 7 years now.

studying shit together
trying new ideas
and laughing along the way.

i mean i get you tryna get in by any means (dissing the next man is soooo tired though)---but if you walk away not impressed. or at least "getting it"

--then...

well....that tells me you dont speak the language.

that's it for this post.

i gotta work!

peace.

41992, I get it
Posted by PungeePyPy, Sat Aug-19-06 02:19 PM
and i'm tryn to cop the language but what i really wanted to know was how he landed the gig. and you answered me, an inquisitive mind. my teacher went on the road with max roach just because he had that same charisma you talk about with knuckles.

knuckles snaps, don't get me wrong. lol, maybe i should just stop here.

oh but i'd never diss the next person to get myself in, come on that shits been played too much. I'm eager just to kick with yall and ask questions. talked for awhile with the drummer for that opening act (with the DJ and guitar player). i asked him how you practiced getting that breakbeat sound, that dilla sound even. he said you'd probably say "listen to james brown." since i heard that I've been the reinvented clyde stubblefield.
41993, i was "moved enough to write"
Posted by PungeePyPy, Sat Aug-19-06 02:22 PM
because i envy his position. because ever since my teacher told me to LISTEN to your playing, to really dig deep into and find its sources, i've been a student of yours ever since. you can't shake it off, i bet you went through the same thing with Jay dee's, prince's, and prolly even stevie wonder's music. (shit i bet you went through the same shit with that mesmerizing flute part in Aretha franklin's "until you come back to me", right?) so give me some credit for 'understanding the language.' its not even about dissing on someone to get ahead of 'em.
41994, Pause....
Posted by TruckNorth, Mon Aug-21-06 05:33 AM
^^this is the result of 2 cats playing wit each other for about 7 years now....^^

Lol....sorry.....but if he said it in person....he'd get paused....
If I said it.....I'd get paused.......
So ahmir.....

Pause......
{*^YnG'^ *TkR*}
41995, LMAO!!
Posted by Operation Lifesaver, Wed Aug-23-06 02:16 AM
That most def deserved a pause.
41996, i wanted to say this, but okps and ?uest would have thrown a fit
Posted by 58impala, Wed Aug-23-06 03:05 AM
41997, RE: Cpt. Kirk and Knuckles --- where they come from?
Posted by vatoben, Sun Aug-20-06 02:08 PM
>All I know i s that Cpt. Kirk blows Ben Kenney out of the water.
>Better singer and stage prescence too.

i couldn't agree with you more.

www.benkenney.com www.thedivisiongroup.com www.ghettocrush.com
41998, ^^^not fazed or stunned.
Posted by shockzilla, Mon Aug-21-06 08:45 AM
41999, ^^^wish i knew how to take the high road like this guy
Posted by 15, Tue Aug-22-06 07:00 AM
42000, Kirk from BK
Posted by Canela74, Sat Aug-19-06 11:31 AM
I don't like Knuckles cause when I was trying to get a ?quest-signed drumstick, he made me give the one I got to some chick behind me and when I asked him what do I get he gave me a nasty, sweaty towel. Which I promptly threw back at him. (YUCK!) :-p

>>>Avitar - Romare Bearden's "Reclining Nude" c. 1977

>>>"Oil? Who said anything about oil? You cooking, bitch?" - Dave Chapelle as "Black Bush"

>>>"I ain't scared of no Al- Qaeda. I'm scared of Al- Kracker!" - Chris Rock

>>>"That is one of the most useless jobs in the world right now." - Branford Marsalis on A&Rs. from 'Before the Music Dies'
42001, because you think from the side of your neck
Posted by 15, Sat Aug-19-06 01:52 PM
sometimes "simple" is all that is needed.

why a mofo gotta eat fire in order to get a thumbs up?

knucks is PERFECT for what we are doing.

call on sheila for tricks.
42002, no one's asking for spit fire
Posted by PungeePyPy, Sat Aug-19-06 02:07 PM
all i was asking was how knuckles and kirk made it into The Roots. yall ain't gotta get all uptight and shit. but hey, ?uest i started listening to you, i mean REALLY listening to you after my drum teacher told me "that cat's done his homework!" you weren't even blowing fire to get attention. same shit kenny clarke used to do... just holdin' it down.
42003, excuse me... eating fire.
Posted by PungeePyPy, Sat Aug-19-06 02:09 PM
and im not putting knuckles down, but he don't add a whole ton of groove to the rhythm section. now you may respond.
42004, .
Posted by punch, Sat Aug-19-06 09:44 PM
i dont think he's going to hire you.
42005, I know, right?
Posted by silkyhyde, Tue Aug-22-06 12:23 AM
hahaha....this kid just took a huge L.

This guy: "Hey Quest! Your percussionist sux! Lemme have his gig!"

15: "Sure! can you start Monday?"

LOL!

Peace,
Salim
42006, ^^ no idea what an inquisitive mind is
Posted by PungeePyPy, Wed Aug-23-06 06:15 AM
a big L? its not a pissing contest, i was asking a question.

42007, I refer you to Reply #3....
Posted by silkyhyde, Wed Aug-23-06 08:59 PM
...where you said, "anyone could do what knuckles does. give me the spot ?uest and I'll rip it up for ya".

Inquisitive mind, my ass. More like shark-ass nigga behavior.

You dissed Knucks, and implied that you could do much better. Tearing down the next man on some "Crabs In a Barrel"-type ish. So then everybody in here proceeded to clown you, including ?uesto.

If you just wanted to know how Knucks and Cap'n got down, why didn't you just ask that, instead on getting in the dig on Knucks...which is what everybody justifiably focused on because you played yourself and showed your ass.

That's nobodies fault but your own. Don't get mad at me for what you did to yourself.

And I AM a player, mind you...keys and vibes. So miss me with all that "you must not play" bullshit.

P.S. did you stop to think that ?uest and Knucks are FRIENDS and not just bandmates????...you dissed his BOY. That's what you are missing here. It wasn't called for, and shows that you think that the primary importance in a bandmate is chops above musical friendship.

Good luck on getting that gig, okay player?

Peace,
Salim
42008, see
Posted by PungeePyPy, Wed Aug-23-06 10:12 PM
you didnt have to trip. its all love. my b folks.

p.s. - lovely 'okay player' pun. i thought i was the only clever one in here. guess you showed me.
42009, Doesn't Add Much?!?
Posted by cville75, Sun Aug-20-06 03:11 PM
I like the Roots the way that they are, and you can't tell me that he doesn't add much when they are going back in forth gettin after shit on stage. Show is live, because everyone brings that shit together. Every piece of the puzzle is important to the songs man. You gotta listen, go to the live shows, it speaks for itself.
42010, my point went a little deeper than that
Posted by PungeePyPy, Sun Aug-20-06 03:50 PM
but yea you're right, each piece is def. worth having. i've only seem them live 5 times, and each time its been hard to hear knuckles during the actual song. from what i can gather, he makes the backbeat sound fatter and bigger.

but seem to miss my question, how did kirk and knuckles end up joining The Legendary?
42011, RE: my point went a little deeper than that
Posted by The1AndOnlyDJCT, Sun Aug-20-06 09:30 PM
Ha, I'm not gonna comment on what they "bring to the table," but I am curious on the history of it all, how did they end up joining The Roots?
42012, RE: because you think from the side of your neck
Posted by TheNewAddiction, Mon Aug-21-06 10:16 AM
Hey ?uest

Why was Knuckles absent from the recent Chicago show? Is he not touring this time around? I didn't notice him or hear him. We want Knuckles we want Knuckles!

42013, I been interested in a Kirk backstory myself...
Posted by Ayatollah Watts, Sun Aug-20-06 10:48 PM
when Ben left I was kinda like... NooOoo! ...Kirk slid in nicely... but... who is he? I think his last name is Hazel
42014, RE: I been interested in a Kirk backstory myself...
Posted by schuylerxc, Mon Aug-21-06 10:10 PM
I'd love to know this too. The man is an incredible guitaurist, singer, and live performer, great addition to the Roots.
42015, knuckles is my favorite addition of all time
Posted by 58impala, Mon Aug-21-06 10:24 PM
miamiounia is second

he sets a groove and works well with ?uest (drum solos are proof of that)
42016, ....
Posted by im white, Wed Aug-23-06 02:34 AM
knuckles is the man. i think he may have thrown a towel at me once but i kept that ish.
42017, why can't someone challenge and ask ?uestions these days?
Posted by PungeePyPy, Wed Aug-23-06 06:24 AM
the minute I said I didn't care for Knuckles, all you "okay players" started dissin. if you wanna maintain hip hop as an art you cant have keep it black and white. yall some hating mofos though, i thought it was cool to post opinions. must have to have a superscripted 'ok' beside your name to have a legit opinion 'round here.

and for those who think I started this thread so I could cop Knuckles' gig? yall crazy. why would i try to "sneak" in through a post on this site? man i bet none of yall play shit. and thats the problem with hip hop, no respect for talent and passion.

42018, i think quest took it a bit personaly myself,
Posted by punch, Wed Aug-23-06 09:59 AM
but i dont think anyone can do what knuckles does.

..and i think there are a whole bunch of players in here.
42019, hm... well
Posted by PungeePyPy, Wed Aug-23-06 11:37 AM
<--- just trying to keep this post alive until ahmir decides to give us the inside scoop. lol
42020, see my kamal post
Posted by 58impala, Wed Aug-23-06 02:19 PM
42021, you're a fucking idiot
Posted by shockzilla, Wed Aug-23-06 09:28 PM
now you may respond.
42022, Shit....I want a job.
Posted by Clark Kent, Wed Aug-23-06 11:46 AM
Can I drive the bus??? I have a CDL.
42023, For real.
Posted by Canela74, Wed Aug-23-06 06:10 PM
Can I be a goffer or ... SOMETHING on the Asian leg? I wanna go to Japan!!!

I'm pretty useful. I can read. And stuff.

>>>Avitar - Romare Bearden's "Reclining Nude" c. 1977

>>>"Oil? Who said anything about oil? You cooking, bitch?" - Dave Chapelle as "Black Bush"

>>>"I ain't scared of no Al- Qaeda. I'm scared of Al- Kracker!" - Chris Rock

>>>"That is one of the most useless jobs in the world right now." - Branford Marsalis on A&Rs. From 'Before the Music Dies'
42024, shit, lemme just be the dude that...
Posted by Ayatollah Watts, Wed Aug-23-06 11:28 PM
tunes the guitars and shit prior to the band taking the stage... lemme be that nigga..
42025, And just in case you have a connection w/ Jean Grae...
Posted by stephengbutler, Thu Aug-24-06 12:10 AM
Still lookin' for openings to be a groupie.