Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectLets put this Charisma argument to bed.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=41794&mesg_id=41840
41840, Lets put this Charisma argument to bed.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Aug-30-06 05:39 PM
To me arguing whether BT is a charismatic MC, is like arguing whether Michael Jordan was a great rebounder. Its so focused on the wrong aspect of what makes a person great.

BT is a great MC and everyone agrees on this. Charisma is one characteristic of a great MC and I can totally see arguments that its one department that BT is somewhat lacking in. For example, I owned the album DYWM for months before taking the time to figure out who the lyricist were. Thats no diss to BT, but the music and the band were much bigger to me than anyone member of the band, even if it is the MC.

Think about this. a test of Charisma is how much you would like to meet, have dinner or kick it with that person. I think that BT is a great MC, but he really doesn't inspire in me any desire to meet him. This shouldn't bother BT because he seems like a pretty private person and doesn't seem to want to have people all up in his face.

We should also remember that the most charismatic MC to ever hold a mike, Tupac, wasn't particularly a great lyricist.

I think the die hard BT fans have a knee jerk reaction to anything that sounds somewhat critical of the man. So knee jerk that they would try to argue you down if you tried to make the argument that BT would make a terrible wide receiver in the NFL. But as a good as BT is, it doesn't mean that he is most highly rated in every catergory by which you judge an MC.

My point is that who cares if some people find that the boy is not charismatic, the question that matters is how fierce is the boy with mike and we all know the answer to that.

Reality check: according to the 2000 census, there were more than 31,000 black physicians and surgeons, 33,000 black lawyers. There are about 1,400 black athletes playing professional basketball, football and baseball combined.