Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectI've been kickin' around this *charisma* criticism in my head...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=41794&mesg_id=41828
41828, I've been kickin' around this *charisma* criticism in my head...
Posted by thepathsofwriting, Mon Aug-21-06 02:45 PM
And what i've come up w/ (so far) is we, the audience, are too lazy to recognize charisma, showmanship, etc. when it stares us in the face. If you haven't caught a Roots show (and i'm part of that problem), i reckon it's hard to understand Thought's impressiveness. And since *charisma* in this context is shorthand for "he spits lots of quotables," it's clearer why Thought is slept on and why he's now catching a backlash.

Dude constructs complete songs, verses, and we take that for granted. Just b/c dude doesn't regularly give us "I put my lifetime in between the paper's lines" doesn't mean he's not doing just that. On the other hand it's good to see Thought giving *charisma* to the ADD masses (my favorite being the line about divorcing his state of mind), just to make sure there's nothing for anyone to complain about on Game Theory. It's one of the biggest reasons (along w/ GT having a cohesive feel) that i see this album winning. Well, that and Thought's prediction on "Thought @ Work"...