Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectThought is that dude. Too bad heads are too driven by image...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=41794&mesg_id=41826
41826, Thought is that dude. Too bad heads are too driven by image...
Posted by Queal Jay, Mon Aug-21-06 02:32 PM
...to get that. It won't change anytime soon because to a large degree all of the others are overshadowed by Questlove. He's the mouthpiece for the band and he hustles on the side. Nothing wrong with that, but for the layman critic who's lazy or the average rap fan, Thought is not going to stand out. Since BT is also not the type of attention-hungry, image-whoring MC that most guys are, people are going to overlook him.

I was the RCMH Night #2 show and Thought wasn't outshined by anybody on stage performance wise. But since the empahsis of those shows was so much on the fact that there were gonna be these amazing guests and that they were playing Radio City...it unintentionally took away from Thought's performances. At least that's the way them dumb ass critics looked at it and it's wack as fuck. Anyone who's seen a Roots show knows how much work Thought puts in and how that dude commands a fuckin' stage. He sings, changes flows up on songs, plays with the cadences, he's dynamic and he's consistent. Breath control and enuciation...rediculous. If you want to see Thought's direct influence, go to a Little Brother show. I don't know if it's intentional or not, but Phonte's live performance has a whole lot of Thought in it...that's one of the many reasons why LB is so dope live.

Tis funny about the locks thing that the poster brought up, because with the haircut also came the fly ass blazer/jean/t-shirt/hat steeze and BT being the sex symbol dude in The Roots, esp. with the Break You Off video. Wifey has always loved Tarik as an MC, but with the image change she started diggin' on dude in a whole 'nother way lol. I can't see how that would really hurt his image.