Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Brilliant Article on Black Thought (MUST READ)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=41794&mesg_id=41809
41809, RE: Brilliant Article on Black Thought (MUST READ)
Posted by Talib Kweli BKMC, Mon Aug-21-06 10:16 AM
First of all, great article. I've been noticing the same trend in mainstream media when it comes to Tarik. I just read 2 articles that gave Game Theory 4 stars, but felt the need to bash Black Thought in the review. I just think that the hiphop popularity contest doesn't respect artistry, it respects swagger. Tarik has got swagger on stage and in life, but the art of emceeing is not respected by the mainstream. If you go to a Roots show and don't notice that Tarik is the best doing it, than I don't think you understand hiphop, and what it takes for that man to sing, rap, scat, freestyle, do covers, toast and do other peoples rhymes (dice, malik, mos) for 2 hours, or however long they decide to play. I challenge any of those journalists to show me someone who comes close. MC means master of CEREMONY. No one does that better than Thought. These writers want Thought to have a sneaker and a pimp cup, it makes their job easier, they can write about that instead. As far as guest spots, real recognize real, that's why Tarik is on Big Puns first album..I always reach out to Tarik for mixtapes, and he's on a couple, along with the Strong Arm Steady tapes. When i did Guerilla Monsoon, the idea was to get Common, Pharoah and Thought on a track, my favorite MCs. Common couldn't make it, but Pharoah already said something about Chicago, so we threw Kanye on the hook. Tarik made me have to step my game up, for sure, he's the best. Earlier in my career, I was asked to be on what became double trouble, and my shit wasn't up to par so I got taken off. He's right to say that people are intimidated. As far as Wack Niggas, that song was recorded at Kanye's crib in Jersey, and it was just me and Kanye. He put Consequence and Common on it because he was getting ready to work with them. But I will say what i always say when asked...as far as MCs, no one fucks with Thought. Trust me, I study this game, and he has set the bar. If he wasn't in a band that was so powerful, they would see that more clear. No ones role in that group should be underestimated, but especially not Tarik.
Eardrum Soon Come