Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectBrilliant Article on Black Thought (MUST READ)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=41794
41794, Brilliant Article on Black Thought (MUST READ)
Posted by dacruz, Fri Aug-18-06 02:49 PM
Black Thought is feeling the heat. Not because the midday sun is baking through the windows of his Los Angeles apartment, not because he can’t find a lighter for the freshly rolled blunt he’s holding in his hand, but because the tide is turning. A week before this particular afternoon, the Roots headlined a two-night stand at New York’s Radio City Music Hall, and more than one critic took the opportunity to engage in a little Thought bashing.

“It doesn’t much help that all the guest rappers…are exponentially more charismatic than Black Thought,” wrote a critic from The Village Voice. Even The New York Times, which in recent years has fallen over itself to laud everything from screw music to reggaeton, got in a few good licks. The Roots “sound best when they’re collaborating with outside rappers,” said the venerable paper. “Perhaps that’s because their own rapper, Black Thought, is rather dull.”

So if Tariq “Black Thought” Trotter is feeling that kind of heat, it’s no surprise that he’s a little heated his damn self. “It’s just some real faggot-ass shit,” he calls out from the kitchen, still rummaging for a lighter. He finally finds one, walks back into the living room, and sits down on the couch. “I’m fuckin’ aware of muthafuckas hatin’,” he says. “Not even on the band, but on me! Comin’ at my neck.”

His eyes look weary as he blows a thin plume of smoke. Some fatigue is to be expected; he’s been on the road for almost a month. Even right now, the rest of the band is at sound check for another show tonight, and there are two more shows before the weekend is over. So yeah, he’s feeling the grind. But there’s more to it than that.

The heat comes at a very bad time. After all, everything on the surface seems gravy: The Legendary Roots Crew is preparing to release Game Theory, their first album since joining Def Jam Records amid much fanfare last fall. They recently became the first hip-hop act to perform at both Lincoln Center and Radio City Music Hall. They’ve escaped a grueling long-term deal at Geffen—under which they were shifted over to sister label MCA for two albums, only to be shifted back when MCA dissolved—and now one of their most demonstrative fans is also their boss. (Not only did Jay-Z tap them for his famous episode of MTV’s Unplugged, he has made frequent cameos at Roots concerts, including the Lincoln Center and Radio City shows.)

To quote from the group’s extensive catalog, though, there’s something goin’ on. After an Illadelph half-life in the rap game, the Roots find themselves in a very strange position. While only two of their six albums have gone gold (1999’s Things Fall Apart, which featured their only real hit single, the Erykah Badu–assisted “You Got Me,” and 2002’s Phrenology), they’ve been favorites of the press—especially the mainstream press—since their major label debut, Do You Want More?!!!??!, put their live instrumentation front and center in 1995. Lately, though, the rebuke: They’re a karaoke act, say the whispers. They’re being held back by their subpar MC. There’s no place in hip-hop for live music. They’re a jam band—a bunch of nerds making music for White college kids. The group’s drummer and unofficial leader, Ahmir “?uestlove” Thompson, calls it the Tom Hanks Syndrome. “It’s almost a cliché to praise the Roots,” he says, meaning a backlash is simply the next logical step.

Black Thought echoes the concept. “You can only be the great artist for so long—come out with effort after effort that garners all this praise. The Roots have been around for so long that gotta fuckin’ hate on something. Why not the fuckin’ old dudes and shit? Like, Yo, you’re through. Your sound is dope, but you’ve been here for 15 years.”

Indeed, the rap game has changed since the Roots came in the major label door. Things are more singles-based now. The mixtape scene means new product comes out a lot quicker. Six grown men who play live instruments 200 nights a year simply don’t have the time to be showing their asses on 106 & Park, or popping up on every hot single. They’re a group of guys with a daily grind and government names—hip-hop’s version of office-job commuters.

Then, of course, there’s the Black Thought Question. He’s the MC, and as such, the front man. But his personality is decidedly at odds with both his central role and his extroverted lyrics. “Tariq is probably the most guarded person I know in hip-hop,” says ?uestlove. “Just his whole stance. Never lets you see his eyes. He might Miles Davis the audience and just turn his back on you.” It’s a far cry from the flamboyant personae wielded by most other rappers.

“I’m more on the low,” says Thought himself. “I move in silence. I don’t like puttin’ too much of me out there to be dissected, analyzed. Oh, what is he about? You can concentrate on any part of the collective that you want to, but people just tend to concentrate on Ahmir because he’s the more visual one. He’s out there more, people see him doin’ more collaborations.”

It’s true. ?uest is one of the most visible people in hip-hop—or at least one of hip-hop’s most visible ambassadors to the music world at large. He puts together events like Dave Chappelle’s Block Party concert and Jay-Z’s Reasonable Doubt 10th anniversary show. You might see him helming D’Angelo’s landmark Voodoo; playing drums for Pharrell on Letterman; or backing up the likes of funkateer legend Bootsy Collins, honky-tonk fiddler Charlie Daniels and rock ’n’ roll forefather Little Richard on Hank Williams Jr.’s remake of the Monday Night Football intro. Meanwhile, Black Thought never much pursued side projects. He started work on a solo album a few years back, but ended up turning the material into what became Phrenology. “For me to put my shit out wouldn’t have counted toward us gettin’ off of Geffen,” he says. “So I just said, ‘Fuck it.’”

Right now, as he climbs into his black Porsche Cayenne and sets off for North Hollywood—ostensibly to see his peoples at a studio, but that falls through and he settles for a turkey foot long at Subway—Black Thought is busier than he’s ever been. He and Danger Mouse are midway through a collaboration they’re calling Dangerous Thoughts, and he’s doing a Gangsta Grillz mixtape with longtime Philly homeboy DJ Drama, along with ongoing projects with producers Bink Dog and Kareem Riggins.

Still, what these ventures all have in common is Thought rhyming as a man alone. With very few exceptions, like rhyming alongside guest MCs on Roots records or dropping 16s on Strong Arm Steady mixtapes, he’s always been on the mic for dolo. The way he sees it, he’s not the most attractive collabo partner. “When you’re one of the best MCs,” he says, “a lot of people don’t wanna fuck with you, because you’re gonna make them work hard. If you feel like they might outshine you, why pay that dude to be on your track and shit?”

As if on cue, Talib Kweli’s “Wack Niggas” comes through the car’s speakers. Listening to Consequence, Common and Kanye all spit guest verses, Thought suddenly says, “Certain joints, I’ll be feelin’ like, Why didn’t they fuckin’ call me to get on that? Why am I not on this song? Why am I not on the Common album? Like, What the fuck? What happened? These are my homies!”

http://xxlmag.com/online/?p=3920 Theres More in the magazine
41795, This is not really a good article for Black Thought
Posted by BrklynzFinestPR, Fri Aug-18-06 05:02 PM
Its kinda like that one interview where Method Man was lashing out on the media. He said something along the lines of "magazines use certain words in their titles or in the article that subliminally makes the reader doubt the ability of the artists in question."

It was nice seeing Black Thought speak up for himself. I mostly agree with his stance, but many may take it as 'Black Thought is just being bitter'. IMO he has every right TO be bitter, but for potential new fans its not necessarily a trait that will draw someone in.

The article quoted accusations from magazines labeling Black Thought as "bland", "non charismatic", and "a sub-par emcee". Yet there are many other articles praising Black Thoughts skills and none were mentioned here.

Thoughts?
41796, that is a good fucking article
Posted by rick, Fri Aug-18-06 05:14 PM
i was really interested in what he says at the end about artists (mainly okartists) don't ask him to guest on their records because they're afraid they won't come off as well.

i honestly wouldn't think mos, talib, or com would be like that. first because they're strong artists, and second because they have all rapped alongside him on roots records, so the same comparisons can be made either way. i know it's different when you look bad on your own joint, but shit, if that makes your album stronger, fuck it, i say. humility is a virtue.

that's a fucking shame though, it's going to be tragic if thought ends up retiring not ripping tons of guest spots on other emcee's albums.

and LOL at this dude interviewing him while he's trying to find a lighter for his fucking blunt.
41797, this might be
Posted by MicheleQJ, Fri Aug-18-06 05:54 PM
nonsensical, but my theory given the image driven nature of the industry and the way we in turn subconsciously perceive music is that Thought 'lost' his charisma when he cut the locks.

i dont ever recall hearing that complaint against him until that point. in fact, i thought he used to be praised for his charisma, all the way up on through his turn in 'brooklyn babylon.'

I think that Thought, and the Roots, lost an identifiable part of who they were, as if ?uest's hair was gone. The locks made Thought stand out anddddd created perceptions in the public mind due to the cultural content that that hairstyle (and stereotypically associated lifestyles) carry. And those perceptions worked with the Roots vibe as a whole and created a package that made a stronger impression. Picture Thought walking down the block in the You Got Me video and that is a star right there.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CvqZc1kDt6w

Just been kicking around in my head since i first started seeing people complain about a lack of charisma on the boards. I still think he's got it, but I think 'it' was maybe more accessible to the casual viwer/listener previously. Like I said, may be nonsensical, but maybe takes nonsense to explain a nonsense premise. Thought got charisma to me. And the only reason he comes across a little bitter in the article is due to how it was framed by the author's own words. Cause there's truth in what he's saying.

41798, Interesting Theory
Posted by BrklynzFinestPR, Fri Aug-18-06 07:07 PM
>nonsensical, but my theory given the image driven nature of
>the industry and the way we in turn subconsciously perceive
>music is that Thought 'lost' his charisma when he cut the
>locks.

Good Point!

>i dont ever recall hearing that complaint against him until
>that point. in fact, i thought he used to be praised for his
>charisma, all the way up on through his turn in 'brooklyn
>babylon.'

>I think that Thought, and the Roots, lost an identifiable part
>of who they were, as if ?uest's hair was gone. The locks made
>Thought stand out anddddd created perceptions in the public
>mind due to the cultural content that that hairstyle (and
>stereotypically associated lifestyles) carry. And those
>perceptions worked with the Roots vibe as a whole and created
>a package that made a stronger impression. Picture Thought
>walking down the block in the You Got Me video and that is a
>star right there.
>http://youtube.com/watch?v=CvqZc1kDt6w

Also probably a reason why the Roots received the conscious label. Image definately plays a major part in marketing a group. Without the dreads people may feel that Thought is 'just like anyone else'

>Just been kicking around in my head since i first started
>seeing people complain about a lack of charisma on the boards.
> I still think he's got it, but I think 'it' was maybe more
>accessible to the casual viwer/listener previously. Like I
>said, may be nonsensical, but maybe takes nonsense to explain
>a nonsense premise. Thought got charisma to me. And the only
>reason he comes across a little bitter in the article is due
>to how it was framed by the author's own words. Cause there's
>truth in what he's saying.

Thought definately has the charisma, lyrical ability, and command of the mic. I think the definition of 'Charisma" in hip hop has been distorted by all these non-lyrical strictly style and swagger emcees out there, and also the whole crunk thing didn't help either.
41799, RE: Brilliant Article on Black Thought (MUST READ)
Posted by adam, Fri Aug-18-06 06:18 PM
He and Danger Mouse are midway through a collaboration
>they’re calling Dangerous Thoughts, and he’s doing a Gangsta
>Grillz mixtape with longtime Philly homeboy DJ Drama, along
>with ongoing projects with producers Bink Dog and Kareem
>Riggins.

That might have been the best part in that article. Hopefully these will come to life, and soon
41800, i agree...
Posted by Fake ID, Sat Aug-19-06 06:11 PM
bt and dangermouse would be sick
41801, I love these titles.
Posted by Sileni, Sun Aug-20-06 09:02 PM
'dangerous thoughts'?
I luff this.

You can swim in the Sea of Knowledge and still come out dry.
"gimme 20 min...
chop,chop,chop,chop...presto!" 9th Wonder, on making Jay-Z's Threat
http://flickr.com/photos/nuevarine/
http://www.last.fm/user/Nuevarine/
41802, The article was fairly decent because the writer was consistent...
Posted by Doomdata21, Sat Aug-19-06 11:29 AM
...with his point that Black Thought is not really coming off well to the public. I've always felt like it was due to the "middleman" not getting it right. Now I'm not in PR or publicity for the group but I feel like he's fairly open about things if you just TALK with him. He expressed his displeasure about things once asked in the article.

I had the chance to speak with dude at a recent MTV taping which will showcase a new live performance of a song on MTVU everyday before GT drops ::plug:: I was like "What's up, Black?" and dapped him up. I chopped it up with dude for a sec, he's open to those types of things but I just feel like cats don't give him the time of day for the most part in the media. He's got charisma. He's got stage presence. If you've seen him perform then that's obvious. He gets the proverbial blackball in the media. I think he's about to turn some heads with his future offerings though.

Props to Quest, Kirk, Knuckles, Kamal, Peedi, and all others involved. It was a great show.
41803, Black Thought finally doing a Gansta Grillz mixtape
Posted by zigbfree, Sat Aug-19-06 04:44 PM
a lot of people have been clamoring for that
41804, RE: Black Thought finally doing a Gansta Grillz mixtape
Posted by samiam61182, Sun Aug-20-06 10:18 PM

i totally agree with the point made about the dreads, maybe he is hiphops samson and lost character with the haircut. i for one find the idea of charisma being judged by appearence to be as shallow as it gets. unfortuanately in popular music you have to have a gimic to get noticed black thoughts lyrics and delivery are his gimic. its not visual hes not the muscle man (50) or the cute inoffensive type (usher) so for the a lack of pigeon hole he seems to get over looked when speaking of charismatic mcs. number 1 in my opinion any day of the week.
41805, RE: Brilliant Article on Black Thought (MUST READ)
Posted by Big Jay, Mon Aug-21-06 05:17 AM
i don't really get why these people keep saying he's got no charisma. To me, charisma is all about confidense and coming across like you kno exactly what your doing ...and there's no way that anyone can question Thoughts creative ability and lyrical delivery or even his diversity across the roots discography. but when i think of Black Thought i think of the guy with the guts to do a million different versions of hip hop 101 and to be the front man of a group that does over 100 shows a year letting us all know theres still places for hip hop to go. He might not talk alot, but hes got character and integrity... no charisma is dead wrong. i'm sure you all agree, i'm just babbling a little
41806, gotta love the honesty here:
Posted by rl9, Mon Aug-21-06 05:19 AM
>
>As if on cue, Talib Kweli’s “Wack Niggas” comes through the
>car’s speakers. Listening to Consequence, Common and Kanye all
>spit guest verses, Thought suddenly says, “Certain joints,
>I’ll be feelin’ like, Why didn’t they fuckin’ call me to get
>on that? Why am I not on this song? Why am I not on the Common
>album? Like, What the fuck? What happened? These are my
>homies!”
41807, someone tell XXL
Posted by LiShang52, Mon Aug-21-06 08:29 AM
that DYWM is Gold.
41808, i checked riaa.com and DYWM isn't certified there
Posted by spirit, Sat Aug-26-06 08:17 PM
can anyone point me to another source that would verify DYWM as gold? i thought it should have been gold by now but i can't find anything that confirms it other than questo's old sig....
__

http://www.myspace.com/spiritequality - since i was 16, spit 16's sicker than the ceiling on the Sistene (yeah, I'm on that again)
41809, RE: Brilliant Article on Black Thought (MUST READ)
Posted by Talib Kweli BKMC, Mon Aug-21-06 10:16 AM
First of all, great article. I've been noticing the same trend in mainstream media when it comes to Tarik. I just read 2 articles that gave Game Theory 4 stars, but felt the need to bash Black Thought in the review. I just think that the hiphop popularity contest doesn't respect artistry, it respects swagger. Tarik has got swagger on stage and in life, but the art of emceeing is not respected by the mainstream. If you go to a Roots show and don't notice that Tarik is the best doing it, than I don't think you understand hiphop, and what it takes for that man to sing, rap, scat, freestyle, do covers, toast and do other peoples rhymes (dice, malik, mos) for 2 hours, or however long they decide to play. I challenge any of those journalists to show me someone who comes close. MC means master of CEREMONY. No one does that better than Thought. These writers want Thought to have a sneaker and a pimp cup, it makes their job easier, they can write about that instead. As far as guest spots, real recognize real, that's why Tarik is on Big Puns first album..I always reach out to Tarik for mixtapes, and he's on a couple, along with the Strong Arm Steady tapes. When i did Guerilla Monsoon, the idea was to get Common, Pharoah and Thought on a track, my favorite MCs. Common couldn't make it, but Pharoah already said something about Chicago, so we threw Kanye on the hook. Tarik made me have to step my game up, for sure, he's the best. Earlier in my career, I was asked to be on what became double trouble, and my shit wasn't up to par so I got taken off. He's right to say that people are intimidated. As far as Wack Niggas, that song was recorded at Kanye's crib in Jersey, and it was just me and Kanye. He put Consequence and Common on it because he was getting ready to work with them. But I will say what i always say when asked...as far as MCs, no one fucks with Thought. Trust me, I study this game, and he has set the bar. If he wasn't in a band that was so powerful, they would see that more clear. No ones role in that group should be underestimated, but especially not Tarik.
Eardrum Soon Come
41810, i agree
Posted by alindenver, Mon Aug-21-06 12:52 PM
since the roots shine as a live band, BT has to share the spotlight more and doesn't get his just due. but he's a badass on the mic for sure, not many can touch...
41811, ^^^the truth^^^
Posted by jasonprague, Mon Aug-21-06 12:57 PM
thanks for speaking on it. journalists nowadays just look for something - anything - to hate on.

PEACE
41812, RE: Brilliant Article on Black Thought (MUST READ)
Posted by cha13, Mon Aug-21-06 01:18 PM
I think Black Thought is taken for granted by all of us. I've been listening to The Roots since '94, and he's always been one of my favorite MC's, yet whenever anyone asks me who my favorite MC's are, I always list the same...Mos, Kweli, Common...but never Black Thought for some reason. His greatness is so consistent and the rest of the band is so good he's easily forgotten, or taken for granted. I also think the fact that he's never been one to seek attention also makes him easy to forget about.

I got to see The Roots perform in person for the first time in Milwaukee about a month ago and never again will I leave Black Thought off of that list of my favorite MC's. His performance for hours, in a music hall that was about 120 degrees, was incredible. He had crazy energy and I think his talent and charisma shine in an atmosphere like that.

Unfortunately, most people don't see them live. They just see a guy who wears a t-shirt or polo shirt and khakis and hides his face behind some sunglasses and a hat and assume he lacks charisma. Regardless, I think people who respect hip hop and respect The Roots' music know that they wouldn't be what they are without Tariq, and that most MC's couldn't do what he does every day on the best day of their lives.
41813, shit....
Posted by TruckNorth, Mon Aug-21-06 02:12 PM
......bingo...

" i say nigger 100xs when i wake up....keeps my teeth white..."
41814, this coming from the likes of you kwe'?, means alot.
Posted by kinetic94761180, Mon Aug-21-06 11:58 PM

-& it's also the truth.
41815, ^^garnered more respect^^
Posted by bluetiger, Tue Aug-22-06 10:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KC7uhMY9s
You Know What Love Is.

www.myspace.com/ryendavidmusic
or
http://i8.tinypic.com/24qmosp.jpg
or
http://tinyurl.com/9u9nm
41816, RE: Brilliant Article on Black Thought (MUST READ)
Posted by money green, Wed Aug-23-06 01:28 PM
Cosign...

Thanks Kwa for the humility on telling us about "Double Trouble"....makes me (and I'm sure all of us fellow OKP's) respect you just that much more....keepin' it real....peace
41817, Both of you are two dope MCs....most definitely my favs
Posted by OrangeMoon, Wed Aug-23-06 01:30 PM
Your art is appreciated.
41818, Wow
Posted by jiggyjazzman, Wed Aug-23-06 06:09 PM
When I first read Kwe's post, I didn't realize it was him posting. I only read 3/4 of it and then fell asleep (I was extremely tired that evening). Now, re-reading it while being awake, it's just that more pertinent. One of the things I liked most about Thought, aside from his lyricism and excellent freestyle abilities, he just seems like a cool cat. He, Kamal, and Hub were on the 10! show last year after Katrina promoting the benefit at the Kimmel. I had them sign my CD but instead of Tipping Point (which was in the car), the CD in the tipping point case was Kanye. They were cool about it and Thought signed the case Thoughtye West. Then, like 6 mos or so later, I see himn going in the Loew's hotel and I identify who I am (floor director for the show) and he recognizes me, tells me when the lps droppin', gives me a pound and is on his way. Y'know, you don't always get that from artists of his caliber. Everyone knows just how NICE he is on the mic, including him, but folk want to continue to front on him. It's love though. Props to you Kwe for the post.
41819, RE: Brilliant Article on Black Thought (MUST READ)
Posted by cha13, Wed Aug-23-06 11:31 PM
>Earlier in my career, I was asked to be on what became
>double trouble, and my shit wasn't up to par so I got taken
>off.

Just had to pull this out of Kweli's post and say I find it hard to believe his "shit wasn't up to par." I, for one, would love to hear a version of Double Trouble with Kweli's contribution added. Seems to me it would just add to an already classic track.
41820, RE: Brilliant Article on Black Thought
Posted by FELIXIII, Sat Aug-26-06 07:58 PM
Don't worry about Blackthought being slept on anymore. He comes for heads on Game Theory and gets em. He keeps getting better and better on every album, just like the rest of illadelph's finest. If you don't feel Thought after this album-check ya ears then check yourself
41821, thought doesn't do a bunch of ad libs (yeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahh)
Posted by spirit, Sat Aug-26-06 08:28 PM
so people who are caught up in that type of thing, which is indeed very popular now, might somehow sleep on thought. i personally think he's the best major label emcee out now...judging by everyone's current output TODAY. based on verses i've heard from major label emcees recently, if you lined everyone with a major label record out in stores, thought would outshine them all, verse for verse. hell, throw indie rappers in there too. i'm trying to think of someone with a record out now that could burn him and i'm sincerely drawing a blank.

he'll be fine though...

i really think common needs to let dude get a VERSE on one of his albums. he's been roots-affiliated since 96 at least and thought hasn't gotten ONE verse on a common record? canibus, de la, that random dude on the hustle, slum village, mos def & scarface (on the 'corners' rmx), YET NOT ONE VERSE FROM THOUGHT ON A COMMON ALBUM/SINGLE? you let dude do a hook like he's nate dogg or something. LOL.

COME ON, COM.

I know Thought tours a lot, but get your man on a record already.

(on a total side note, why doesn't Com get this type of criticism? thought, to me, has the more energetic delivery b/t the two of them. Or Lloyd Banks? Who on earth sounds less charismatic on the mic than that guy? Sigh. I guess no one really listens to records any more)
__

http://www.myspace.com/spiritequality - since i was 16, spit 16's sicker than the ceiling on the Sistene (yeah, I'm on that again)
41822, RE: Brilliant Article on Black Thought (MUST READ)
Posted by Malik Turner -The Vocalist, Mon Aug-28-06 11:43 PM
Thanks for the post. I think it's refreshing to hear people say this about Tariq, especially his peers in the industry. I don’t normally post, but felt compelled after reading this. I would have to agree that he is not given the credit due to him for his master of cadence, delivery, tonality, breath control etc... On top of that, he has a very unique style of word play that is very consistent. The mainstream fails to see the artistry in his ability to paint pictures using the most complex "techniques", so to speak. They Do Not Care! As an MC, producer, and a peer in the industry, I respect his skill and would consider him an expert at this. Interestingly enough... The Roots have been extremely consistent, setting trend after trend as a Hip Hop band only comparable to Stetsasonic. Always cutting edge and conscious!!!!! It is not easy to be "truly creative" in an industry driven by lust for money and power through the exploitation of the art and culture. Young cats have to understand that this is an art too. In addition, I worked with Donald Byrd as a lyricist and lead vocalist, during a time when he was developing the New BlackByrds. It was my first time performing with a band. Whether on stage or on TV, I quickly learned that performing to a dat tape, etc... is not the same as performing with a full band. And I was blessed to perform with some great musician while working with Byrd. It takes tremendous skill as an MC to do what he has done. The Roots have been doing this since they were kids... On top of that, they traveled almost everyday out of the year, performing show after show. Not Easy. I have to say, Black Thought is holding is own. The Roots are holding their own. It's not easy to demonstrate genius in a world full of mediocrity. The genius of a person is not usually realized until after they die. And the same Hypocrite Naysayer’s will do to Thought, or anyone else, what they are doing JD (Dilla). So, I'm not waiting... Thought is nasty with it and is one of my favorite Lyricists. Always has been. And I'm nasty with mine (smile). So that's respect.

Malik Turner
41823, RE: Brilliant Article on Black Thought (MUST READ)
Posted by neighbahoodP, Tue Aug-29-06 02:35 PM
"If you go to a Roots show and don't notice that Tarik is the best doing it, than I don't think you understand hiphop" -- Kweli

nuff said.
41824, excellent read...
Posted by musikluva, Mon Aug-21-06 01:22 PM
41825, yeah i said it...
Posted by Vic Grymes, Mon Aug-21-06 02:08 PM
I for one didnt get into The Roots, or Hip-Hop for that matter, until after BT cut the dreads so i cant compare the difference in performance. But for a person who's seen them live 3 times within this past year (including both RCMH shows) BT is missing neither passion or charisma. someone on here said it b4, maybe if he wore a bit more jewelry and talked about money n shit he'd get way more attention. its a guarantee if he dumbs down his rhymes and spits 3 words a minute The Roots would be going multi-platinum. i for one have no problem saying he's my favorite MC and has been since day one, even if most people give me blank stares when i say that.

P.S. damn, the man drives a Porche?!? obviously they, or atleast him and ?uesto, seem to have made their money
41826, Thought is that dude. Too bad heads are too driven by image...
Posted by Queal Jay, Mon Aug-21-06 02:32 PM
...to get that. It won't change anytime soon because to a large degree all of the others are overshadowed by Questlove. He's the mouthpiece for the band and he hustles on the side. Nothing wrong with that, but for the layman critic who's lazy or the average rap fan, Thought is not going to stand out. Since BT is also not the type of attention-hungry, image-whoring MC that most guys are, people are going to overlook him.

I was the RCMH Night #2 show and Thought wasn't outshined by anybody on stage performance wise. But since the empahsis of those shows was so much on the fact that there were gonna be these amazing guests and that they were playing Radio City...it unintentionally took away from Thought's performances. At least that's the way them dumb ass critics looked at it and it's wack as fuck. Anyone who's seen a Roots show knows how much work Thought puts in and how that dude commands a fuckin' stage. He sings, changes flows up on songs, plays with the cadences, he's dynamic and he's consistent. Breath control and enuciation...rediculous. If you want to see Thought's direct influence, go to a Little Brother show. I don't know if it's intentional or not, but Phonte's live performance has a whole lot of Thought in it...that's one of the many reasons why LB is so dope live.

Tis funny about the locks thing that the poster brought up, because with the haircut also came the fly ass blazer/jean/t-shirt/hat steeze and BT being the sex symbol dude in The Roots, esp. with the Break You Off video. Wifey has always loved Tarik as an MC, but with the image change she started diggin' on dude in a whole 'nother way lol. I can't see how that would really hurt his image.
41827, Brilliant Article on Black Thought (MUST READ)
Posted by froTIZelfashizel, Mon Aug-21-06 02:35 PM
Great Article...can't wait for GT to drop...

"if you go platinum, it's got nothing to do with luck;
it just means that a million people are stupid as fuck" -IT
41828, I've been kickin' around this *charisma* criticism in my head...
Posted by thepathsofwriting, Mon Aug-21-06 02:45 PM
And what i've come up w/ (so far) is we, the audience, are too lazy to recognize charisma, showmanship, etc. when it stares us in the face. If you haven't caught a Roots show (and i'm part of that problem), i reckon it's hard to understand Thought's impressiveness. And since *charisma* in this context is shorthand for "he spits lots of quotables," it's clearer why Thought is slept on and why he's now catching a backlash.

Dude constructs complete songs, verses, and we take that for granted. Just b/c dude doesn't regularly give us "I put my lifetime in between the paper's lines" doesn't mean he's not doing just that. On the other hand it's good to see Thought giving *charisma* to the ADD masses (my favorite being the line about divorcing his state of mind), just to make sure there's nothing for anyone to complain about on Game Theory. It's one of the biggest reasons (along w/ GT having a cohesive feel) that i see this album winning. Well, that and Thought's prediction on "Thought @ Work"...
41829, RE: Brilliant Article on Black Thought (MUST READ)
Posted by supreme intelligence, Mon Aug-21-06 06:01 PM
This article just proves the point that when you're great and do what you want too and not what everybody else is doing people hate. Blackthought is my favorite Emcee. This man is one of the best to ever do it. As long as "The Lengedary Roots Crew" makes music I'll be a fan. Let the haters hate. The Sun will always shine.
41830, RE: Brilliant Article on Black Thought (MUST READ)
Posted by sectachrome, Mon Aug-21-06 08:27 PM
Those are all reasons that I like Thought so much. His whole give it here dont say nuthin, in the shadows, modest but not modest all vibe is what makes him dope to me.
41831, no more guest spots
Posted by samiam61182, Tue Aug-22-06 01:54 AM

hip hop unlike any other genre is full of collaborations especially guest vocalists, i think here lies the reason why black thought does get the respect. people are excited more by the fact there is a suprise guest on a track than who it actually is most are only given a short verse anyhow. i think the roots have got to make an album with no guest vocalist and let him do his thing, he certainly doesnt need the help, it seems in hip hop a guest vocalist is mandatory as it makes for a good video sequence. i know i big part of its is the interaction with other vocal but most rappers dont have an awesome band to work off. vocalists in any other genre wouldnt put up with people coming along and stealing their time on the mic at such regularity, if i want to hear kweli, common, mos def i have there records, i want to hear black thoughts roots.
41832, There were no *star* guests on The Tipping Point.
Posted by BrklynzFinestPR, Tue Aug-22-06 04:58 PM
Thought ripped the hell outta that album but people still talk shit. There wasn't a lot of production/music on that album that would overshadow Thought but people still talk shit about dude. Basically if someone can't see that Black Thought is a dope emcee then I can't really respect their opinion. The Roots just need to go ahead and make dope music and Black Thought just needs to continue to rip shit on the mic. Fuck all that other bullshit.
41833, Love me some Black thought...
Posted by dulce_421, Tue Aug-22-06 02:27 PM
Lol, i want to smoke a blunt with him!
41834, RE: Brilliant Article on Black Thought (MUST READ)
Posted by walihorse, Tue Aug-22-06 02:42 PM
GREAT READ CAN WAIT FOR ALL THE SIDE PROJECTS.
41835, RE: Brilliant Article on Black Thought (MUST READ)
Posted by mymanpierre, Tue Aug-22-06 03:58 PM

That reaction from Thought was needed... It's fascinating how stupid journalists can be (and I am being honest since I am one of them). They speak most of the time out of frustration, especially the two idiots involved, from the Voice and the Times (their taste sucks)...In its Dilla's tribute, the guy from the Voice managed to almost insult Dilla instead of praising him for all his incredible achievements. He is one them assholes who, for some obscur reasons, are speading the idea that Dilla was a weak MC. How many times have I read that crap (last time was on that Wire's article on Dabrye)?... Same thing with Thought being a bad MC... I was at the Radio City Hall concert and the guy rocked the party to a point I said to myslef that, on stage, his only rival would be KRS One: Thought can rhyme fast or slow, he never gets tired, his respiration control is perfect and he is always entertaining. Given the pace changes that Questlove is imposing to the band, given the number of concerts The Roots are giving each year, I simply find that amazing.

41836, Watch this performance and tell me if you think Black thought is dull....
Posted by cyberseright, Wed Aug-23-06 05:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TweRWWK9QZ8

csdjshop.com
41837, you.......
Posted by kinetic94761180, Wed Aug-23-06 05:36 AM
could've found something better.

-i mean, i'm the biggest thought supporter i know of, flat-out, don't get it mistaken.

but i'm left a bit puzzled as to why you picked this song, from this performance, to prove your point.

whatever, though....

the nigga's the best.

plain & simple.
41838, an even better example...
Posted by spirit, Sat Aug-26-06 08:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYVd6kXFBI4&NR

the ultimate...

crowd in the palm of his hand...
__

41839, RE: Brilliant Article on Black Thought (MUST READ)
Posted by muted, Wed Aug-23-06 03:17 PM
i've always seen thought as one of the smoothest, most confident mic handlers out there... i don't get the knock on his charisma, as he is close to the most charismatic ala the lines of a big daddy or cl smooth before him...
41840, Lets put this Charisma argument to bed.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Aug-30-06 05:39 PM
To me arguing whether BT is a charismatic MC, is like arguing whether Michael Jordan was a great rebounder. Its so focused on the wrong aspect of what makes a person great.

BT is a great MC and everyone agrees on this. Charisma is one characteristic of a great MC and I can totally see arguments that its one department that BT is somewhat lacking in. For example, I owned the album DYWM for months before taking the time to figure out who the lyricist were. Thats no diss to BT, but the music and the band were much bigger to me than anyone member of the band, even if it is the MC.

Think about this. a test of Charisma is how much you would like to meet, have dinner or kick it with that person. I think that BT is a great MC, but he really doesn't inspire in me any desire to meet him. This shouldn't bother BT because he seems like a pretty private person and doesn't seem to want to have people all up in his face.

We should also remember that the most charismatic MC to ever hold a mike, Tupac, wasn't particularly a great lyricist.

I think the die hard BT fans have a knee jerk reaction to anything that sounds somewhat critical of the man. So knee jerk that they would try to argue you down if you tried to make the argument that BT would make a terrible wide receiver in the NFL. But as a good as BT is, it doesn't mean that he is most highly rated in every catergory by which you judge an MC.

My point is that who cares if some people find that the boy is not charismatic, the question that matters is how fierce is the boy with mike and we all know the answer to that.

Reality check: according to the 2000 census, there were more than 31,000 black physicians and surgeons, 33,000 black lawyers. There are about 1,400 black athletes playing professional basketball, football and baseball combined.