Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectPeedi to join the Roots(?) -swipe-
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=41616
41616, Peedi to join the Roots(?) -swipe-
Posted by gusto, Mon Aug-28-06 07:05 PM
http://thehookny.com/

In a recent interview with The Hook, Roots drummer, Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson, indicated that the band might be taking on a new member in the form of Philadelphia MC, Peedi Peedi.
“I think we’re gonna give that ‘fifth beatle’ position to Peedi. He accepted the offer, so we just have to see if we can finance it, and fit it in our structure so that he’s basically a Root for about a year.”
Peedi, who is a protege of former Roots collaborator, Beenie Sigel, makes a guest appearance on “Long Time,” off of The Roots’ highly anticipated new album, Game Theory.
Said Questlove, “The chemistry that him and Tariq (Black Thought) had, was really just some shit I couldn’t ignore.”
41617, I really don't know how to feel about this.
Posted by BrklynzFinestPR, Mon Aug-28-06 07:17 PM
As dope as Long Time is, can the chemistry really be that strong after just one song? It makes me think if this is an attempt to be more maketable. Also I have to question if he is a strong enough live performer to be able to keep up with The Roots. Even though Black Thought can hold a show down all by his own.

I will just have to remain skeptical on this until someone can confirm this, 15??
41618, dude
Posted by 15, Mon Aug-28-06 07:25 PM
sans "don't say nothing" which was more survival than "lets get paid" (dont quote no anvil shit ---none of yuss lol)

i aint never done no shit based on market appeal.

i mean if we aint get rich by year 5 (1997) then its time to throw the hat in dont ya think (on dreams i mean)

i sell more records than peddi. and last i checked peddi aint sold out radio city.

peddi got an ILL ass voice. and he hungry and that is what i cater to.

cody
jill
rahzel
maimona
peddi

ill voices. time on their hands.

he's doing shows.

to be continued.
41619, RE: dude
Posted by The1AndOnlyDJCT, Mon Aug-28-06 07:42 PM
So he's gonna tour around with The Roots just so he can spit that one verse?
41620, maybe hell do malik's verses
Posted by gusto, Mon Aug-28-06 07:46 PM
41621, That's one helluva hustle if you ask me.....
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Aug-29-06 03:44 PM

you are getting verrry sleeeeepy....
41622, come on now
Posted by 15, Wed Aug-30-06 08:40 PM
i know you know i craft shows a lil bit better than that.
41623, Nuff said ....
Posted by ruqbill, Mon Aug-28-06 07:42 PM

...Let's see IT (that vision) come alive .

And good luck in your " cool runnings " ,

and on a side note : Welcome back to MontReal ..
41624, Roots comin back to Montreal???
Posted by Mixmaster Oil Can Harry, Tue Aug-29-06 12:11 PM
Anytime soon?? And Rakim Allah is here Sept 27th
41625, I shoulda known better
Posted by BrklynzFinestPR, Mon Aug-28-06 07:50 PM
?uest, you and The Roots are one of the only hip hop groups that have kept artistic integrity for this long (10+ years), I'm sorry for questioning that.

Honestly I got nothing against peedi, and I will be a fan of The Roots regardless. Long Time is definately a dope song and the Chemistry is there between Thought and Peedi. Its kinda crazy thinking of another fulltime emcee with Riq besides Malik B or Dice Raw, but its dope that its still all Philly.

Thanks for the insight on this ?uest
41626, ^^^OWNED
Posted by SeV, Mon Aug-28-06 08:55 PM

ur just jealous cause i get to talk to hot chiks on the internet ALLLL DAAYYY

???eV???•..

<font size="6" color="gay">
OooO im sooOO special!
</font>
41627, How did I get owned?
Posted by BrklynzFinestPR, Mon Aug-28-06 09:07 PM
I posted something & ?uest responded. Im a fan of The Roots, its not like I got ill feelings.

?uest provided some insight and set some things straight. I'm a grown ass man and I'm not above appologizing when I'm wrong.
41628, ^^^ offered ?uest 10 puffs of blowbutt for his forgiveness
Posted by SeV, Mon Aug-28-06 09:26 PM

ur just jealous cause i get to talk to hot chiks on the internet ALLLL DAAYYY

???eV???•..

<font size="6" color="gay">
OooO im sooOO special!
</font>
41629, Grow up
Posted by BrklynzFinestPR, Mon Aug-28-06 09:57 PM
n/m
41630, RE: Grow up
Posted by ruqbill, Mon Aug-28-06 11:44 PM

41631, no berating now
Posted by 15, Wed Aug-30-06 08:44 PM
he expressed his opinion (respectfully which is what i encourage for those who got indifference to what we do---and rarely do i point out or thank someone for doing it the right way---daps)

and i addressed it.

i just dont want cats feeling like they cant have a convo without fear of getting dissed by the yardies. lol
41632, see post about Knuckles for example
Posted by PungeePyPy, Thu Aug-31-06 09:11 AM
of what ?uest is talking about. i got killed in that post. and maybe i did say I didn't see the value in having knuckles up there, but i didnt mean to say he shouldn't be there. " give the drummer some. "
41633, RE: dude
Posted by Elprezzo, Mon Aug-28-06 08:51 PM
maan, this is a tight move cause long time is my fav. track on the cd...

...and cats dont understand that nigga peedi flips words and syllables sumthin' crazy...the shits he had wit beans like "when u hear that" and flipside wit freeway were tight cause of thim basically...

...I say its a good ass decision...keep it crackin...
41634, y'all need to read this part very carefully
Posted by dafriquan, Mon Aug-28-06 08:56 PM

>i sell more records than peddi. and last i checked peddi aint
>sold out radio city.
>
41635, come on.......
Posted by TruckNorth, Tue Aug-29-06 07:53 AM
R u fuckn serious........?
U can't be serious........
Can't be.......
{*^YnG'^ *TkR*}
41636, ^^^ Red-headed stepchild.
Posted by Triptych, Tue Aug-29-06 10:04 AM
41637, RE: ^^^ Red-headed stepchild.
Posted by kinetic94761180, Tue Aug-29-06 10:10 AM
-truck's posts is getting more & more interesting, ain't they?....
41638, think he's trying to work out
Posted by shockzilla, Wed Aug-30-06 06:12 PM
which side his bread is buttered on
41639, RE: dude
Posted by Skillz, Wed Aug-30-06 01:38 PM
wow.
41640, lol
Posted by msclman99, Wed Aug-30-06 06:10 PM
everyone is skeptikal. no one saw this one comming.
41641, Let's hope he does better than Billy Preston
Posted by handle, Mon Aug-28-06 08:26 PM
"“I think we’re gonna give that ‘fifth beatle’ position to Peedi. He accepted the offer, so we just have to see if we can finance it, and fit it in our structure so that he’s basically a Root for about a year.”

Preston had some hits but it's:
The Alcholism
The Drug Addiciton
The Arson
The Insurance Fraud
The Assault Charges
The Child Molestation Charges

....that I will remember most. :)

If Peedi is in the group for a year I'm sure I'll see him at least 5 times. And I won't even make fun of that Phat beach outfit he was wearing on MTV's The Leak.

Congrats to Peedi.

:)))

-Tom
41642, The Roots just got a whole lot more interesting
Posted by The Money Man, Mon Aug-28-06 08:52 PM
I love peedi. this would be a great move for all involved. and it would only make Thought sound better.
41643, I'm one of the few excited...
Posted by Troubled Spirits, Mon Aug-28-06 09:09 PM
I've always been a fan of Sigel, Freeway, and all the State Prop...

I hope Peedie will be with them at the Sep 27 show in Jacksonville.
41644, Why is everyone so quick to naysay?
Posted by Quills_N_Ink, Mon Aug-28-06 10:06 PM
I like this move. It might work. It might not. Let's just see. He meshed well on "Long Time."
41645, No more new "Roots"
Posted by emeyesi, Mon Aug-28-06 10:23 PM
For serious.

41646, That would be an interesting development...
Posted by phenompyrus, Tue Aug-29-06 12:03 AM
I am not going to say anything until I like or dislike.
41647, RE: That would be an interesting development...
Posted by Mr. Merge, Tue Aug-29-06 05:40 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
41648, Why call BOO when his only appearance was damn good?
Posted by phenompyrus, Tue Aug-29-06 08:57 PM
I'd rather have Malik back permanantly, but this MIGHT work.
41649, i support this thang
Posted by punch, Tue Aug-29-06 09:23 AM
it would be cool to hear more stuff with peedi.

okayplayer is some whiny bitches sometimes.
41650, RE: i support this thang
Posted by dill-o, Tue Aug-29-06 09:35 AM
cool, i like peddi but what about malik?
41651, RE: Peedi to join the Roots(?) -swipe-
Posted by Pete Da Heat, Tue Aug-29-06 09:44 AM
shiiit. i love this move. Peedi on tha State Prop Chain Gang vol II album like 2 years ago was fire. I loved his verses and voice, and hadnt really heard from him in a while. and after listening to the track off game theory last night, he still has it. so im excited for it.
41652, i'm gonna guess y'all never heard "temporary relief"
Posted by bonamie, Tue Aug-29-06 09:58 AM
offa the Chain Gang jawn
41653, RE: i'm gonna guess y'all never heard "temporary relief"
Posted by LMizellJr, Tue Aug-29-06 08:01 PM
thanks for the fine wine nicca!!!
41654, RE: Peedi to join the Roots(?) -swipe-
Posted by fowler, Tue Aug-29-06 10:38 AM
Does this mean long time will be released at as single as kinda a test market thing?
41655, Great!!! But...
Posted by vandole, Tue Aug-29-06 12:31 PM
i rather see Dice Raw and Malik B back in the group.
41656, That's a good look........I dig P.Crakk
Posted by MistaGoodBar, Tue Aug-29-06 01:12 PM
He's got a dope flow, and is a joy to listen to.....
41657, Yall don't even give the n' a chance....
Posted by MyTsharp, Tue Aug-29-06 02:20 PM
Seriously...give son a chance, put more than one record out...a promo single or somethin'. But don't shoot him down so quickly..

My-T.
41658, The Roots the New Temptations?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Aug-30-06 11:51 AM
With an ever rotating line-up to the point that you go to a show in 10 years and it will be an all new line up of white kids in their 20s (the drummer will be a kid from NYU with a jewfro). LOL!!!!

Just clowning. I love Peedi and think its a great addition.

Reality check: according to the 2000 census, there were more than 31,000 black physicians and surgeons, 33,000 black lawyers. There are about 1,400 black athletes playing professional basketball, football and baseball combined.
41659, RE: The Roots the New Temptations?
Posted by MyTsharp, Wed Aug-30-06 12:32 PM
"go to a show in 10 years and it will be an all new line up of white kids in their 20s (the drummer will be a kid from NYU with a jewfro)"

LOL

My-T.
41660, Lol, reading this thread with my Iriver mp3 player on random
Posted by micMajestic, Wed Aug-30-06 12:43 PM
"Long Time" kicks right in. Maybe its a sign. That reminds me i gotta go get my official copy today.
41661, RE: Peedi to join the Roots(?) -swipe-
Posted by The1AndOnlyDJCT, Wed Aug-30-06 12:58 PM
Not to hate, but I am gonna speak my mind... Am I the only one who doesn't like his voice that much? I mean it's fine I suppose, I just don't think it's an "ill ass voice." Also, just judging from the MTVU Live Leak, he didn't seem to be able to finish his lines that well. I'm all for supporting "hungry" cats with "ill ass voices," I'm just saying I think there are others who I'd have preferred to see join The Roots. Still, this doesn't diminish my liking of The Roots, and I'll definitely be checking out their shows whenever they swing by.
41662, i'm listenin to the CD right now...
Posted by Jru, Wed Aug-30-06 01:17 PM
peedi's verse go.. that song is chill. peedi is showing versatility with this song compared to his others. I think it would be great for the Roots.
41663, From the little I heard of Peedi I was very impressed.
Posted by bski, Wed Aug-30-06 01:19 PM
Cat is dope.

http://www.myspace.com/bski
http://www.myspace.com/livesociety
41664, please tell me this ain't Peedi Crack
Posted by So Plush, Wed Aug-30-06 01:48 PM
please God no
41665, quit acting like dude is Fergy n/m
Posted by TotalRequestloveLive, Wed Aug-30-06 03:04 PM
41666, I can't wait.
Posted by Kellsworth, Wed Aug-30-06 05:13 PM
I love Peedi. He's killed every track I heard, and his mixtape was my anthem last summer. Its a combo I would have never thought of.

At the very least, it'll work wonders for his stage skills. At best, Black Thought and Peedi will be able to feed off each other like no other...
41667, all i know is...
Posted by edhead150, Wed Aug-30-06 05:43 PM
cats went crazy when he came out on monday... and he killed it...
41668, I LIKES
Posted by GB9, Wed Aug-30-06 08:35 PM
I've always wondered what The Roots would be like if they introduced a new member (they rock with sooo many people)
But I always felt like they wouldn't be "The Roots" anymore...

That being said...this is the only move that I feel would actually make sense...
"Long Time" is probably one of the strongest songs on this album (and the album is dope) and Peedi enhances it without changing the song's tone or making you forget that it's a Roots track, he simply "fits" and he brings something to it that wasn't there before (as opposed to someone trying to rhyme the way Thought does)
He's unique, he's hungry and he meshes. I think it's a good idea.

(((And we all know he would NOT have EQUAL mic time, Thought is the frontman, period.)))

Also
I was watching their performance on Letterman with a friend of mine who LOVES to sh*t on "rappers", I mean he likes about 5 MC's and that's it...
Now he didn't say he "liked" Peedi, he said "wow he's one of the few guys I've seen spit next to Thought on stage that didn't seem wack"
Call it chemistry call it whatever you want, but I think it's a good move.
41669, RE: Peedi to join the Roots(?) -swipe-
Posted by Goose, Wed Aug-30-06 09:54 PM
i hope black takes a majority but yeah i think peedi's voice will be a good switch up every now and tehn can someone get me some older stuff he did with beans?
41670, My Peedi Experience
Posted by spew120, Wed Aug-30-06 10:47 PM
All I know is that Peedi was amazing at the free concert Monday night. No qualms whatsoever with him joining the Roots on tour. If it's hot its hot. But you're all scared of change??? Since when has fear of change been a quality of a Root's fan? C'mon now!!?!
41671, i'm bringing sexy back...
Posted by allison, Wed Aug-30-06 10:53 PM

don't mind me.
41672, The Phife Dog to your Abstract
Posted by auxyray, Wed Aug-30-06 10:58 PM
41673, Best thing since sliced bread
Posted by juls_nice, Wed Aug-30-06 11:36 PM
Yo my co-worker told me this today @ work (while we were listening to the album of the year: Game Theory) and I damn near fell out my chair! This is like a dream for me and imma tell U why I think it's a great idea:

1. Peedi Crack is such an ill lyricist....that dude has a currrrrrazy flow, vicious rhyme schemes and breath control, a wide vocab and real versatile and imaginative rhymes making for some humorous lyrics...yet he has that gritty street lingo that just attracts the thugs. No lie, my boi put me onto him bout a year ago when I was livin in Philly and his mixtapes got constant rotation in da wip. He spits over classic beats and does some remakes that had me trippin balls; I thought he was gonna be the next best thing but that was when he was "Petey Crack the street rhymer"; he needed to get more mature.

2. He's similar to BT in alot of ways. After reading Talib's comments on Thought you can see that even though Black isn't attracting the pop crowd he's one of the best to grab a mic, period. Not many MCs can rhyme next to BT cause he just makes em look sloppy in their craft (no matter how many records they sell). But I think Peedi can definately hang; Peedi exudes those qualities that make you say "oh, this dude is wicked!".
BT and Malik/Dice is sorta like EPMD, or Meth and Red; they have contrasting styles. BT and Peedi is like Rakim and Nas rhyming next to eachother- it's just top notch on both ends. "Long Time" gives me goosebumps listening to it.

3. Peedi just may help the Roots attract not 1 but 2 demographics they're kinda unpopular with: The Latino listeners and the "thug from the street" listeners! More limelight for the Roots possibly.

I just don't know how P.Crack does live on stage but I'm sure he can hold his own. And if it doesn't work out, oh well, give Peedi the boot after a year and move on. I mean, if they can go threw the "Ben Era" then why not give P a shot...

-----------------------------
"Waiting for the Lord to rise
I look into my daughter's eyes,
and realize
imma learn through her,
The Messiah
might even return through her,
if imma do it,
I gotta change the world through her"

-Common
MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/julsnice
41674, now thats whats up!!!
Posted by Heinz, Thu Aug-31-06 12:24 AM
dope news....Peedi Peedi is underated and State Prop aint really doing anything lately..
41675, i think its a good look. His voice complements Riq's very well.....
Posted by jimi, Thu Aug-31-06 08:54 AM
It's a nice balance. He knows how to rap and He IS from Philly so no brainer. And if he has good chemistry with black (cause that is a lil' moody motherfucker) that makes it even better. freeway would have worked too but i dont how well they would have gelled.
41676, damn, this has me thinking about if others fools joined the roots
Posted by sweeneykovar, Thu Aug-31-06 09:04 AM
like Beanie or Mos or Jean Grae.I think Peedi will add some fresh new blood to the mix and his voice contrasts well with Thought (im still holdin our for Malik to comeback fullfledged)
41677, so his name isn't Peedi CRACK anymore?
Posted by K tilda Swift, Thu Aug-31-06 11:53 AM
that's a good thing.
41678, ^^dude read my mind^^
Posted by nicknice, Fri Sep-01-06 12:55 AM
i was pretty sure this was the same guy, haha.
good move on his part.
coulda ended up like C Murda
41679, I Love Peedi...
Posted by Steve, Thu Aug-31-06 03:59 PM
this would be hot
41680, ehhhh........iono
Posted by tully_blanchard, Fri Sep-01-06 12:19 AM
I mean, i never was a fan of dude from the jump.

heard him on the neyo jawn, was like "okay, i'm still not a fan"

heard him beside The Bad Lieutenant, and he referneced taking a dump.

not really feeling it

....and yeah!? what is happening with TruckNorth?

"WHO SHOT THE DUCK OUT THE WINDOW??!!!??"

ahhh, why the hell not:
www.myspace.com/18thletter

check us out, mayne:

www.coolanddeadlyreggae.com

Tully "The Dragon" Blanchard
world kickboxing champion