Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: how did you choose the guests?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=41532&mesg_id=41564
41564, RE: how did you choose the guests?
Posted by JPeriod, Thu Aug-17-06 12:40 PM
>i really wanna hear more of that zion i/black thought combo

For me it was about putting emcees together that share a vibe and a style... and flipping a combination you *should* have heard before, but haven't. No one ever heard Black Thought and Rakim on a track, or Nas, or Big L, or Busta, or Q-Tip... but if you think about it, all of these are combo's that would have been dope... so I just make em happen myself. As for Zion I, point blank Zion I is one of the illest emcees out there, and also a righteous emcee, a cat who puts substance and spirit into his lyrics... so it felt like a good fit for a track with a powerful and positive message. Kardinal Offishal is another example of a crazy dope emcee who only gets limited shine (probably cuz he's from Canada), who felt like a good fit. He can flip and hip hop or dancehall style, which fit well with the vibe of "Push Up Ya Lighter." Lastly, Def Poet Mayda Del Valle is just sick wit it and is one of the only peeps I know who loves hip hop as much as I do... so she was a perfect fit for "Love of My Life."