Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: the review im proud of the most
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=41269&mesg_id=41294
41294, RE: the review im proud of the most
Posted by 2tone23, Fri Sep-15-06 09:44 AM
The Roots...you all deserve the highest praise; all accolades are well deserved! Game Theory is your masterpiece.

Having been on the hip-hop scene since 1980, the thing that troubles me the most in the evolution of the "genre" is the corporate manipulation: stealing the rich flavor of the music, message and artistry, & churning out a stereotype that perpetuates racism. Whether the image produced is ganster-thug, minstrel show or booty-ho that is sold to the masses, it's an enormous insult to the intelligence,humanity and variety of black experience and expression.

It is so refreshing to have an album like "Game Theory" revive the Def Jam label and receive the benefit of great marketing without compromising the artistic vision. I whole-heartedly agree with the review...GT has it all: exquisite sound, intelligent words, on-point message, seriousness, humor (how do so many reviews miss this, ie: Baby & Livin' In A New World?!!) and that rarity that is the total point of view. How rare it is to have an album (pardon my ancient-ness) that flows from start-to-finish as a total package, yet all individual parts stand on their own!

I've loved all your work since Organix, but GT is truly your mature vision: on-point and modern, yet timeless. Kudos to The Roots, and kudos to Jay-Z & Def Jam!

side note: you capture the sound & soul of Philly perfectly. I grew up in the region in the 1960-70's, and the sound is so hard to put into words...
much love, elisa