Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=40786&mesg_id=40806
40806, RE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email
Posted by JayBilal, Wed Oct-11-06 07:12 PM

Hip-hop won't die because there are socio-economic issues that support it. The people that listen to what most OKPs would deem questionable rap will still crave a music made by black people the highly glamourize some of life's sins (sex, drugs, crime). Just like there will always be some sort of bump and grind R&B there will always be the pop that coochie, make it twirk, look at my grillz, this is how I rob, I'm a real gangsta music. As Mos Def said don't ask me how is hip-hop doing ask yourself "What am I doing? Where am I going?"

There is a serious need for diversity in the hip-hop that we hear on the radio and see on BET & MTV. But two things are working in the favor of those of us who love music that has a deep message that celebrates true artistry. For one that music is timeless. ATCQ will attract crowds for years, same for Mos Def, Common, and Talib. Their fans are loyal because they are more married to the music than those of go out and cop Trick Daddy and so on.

Also fans and artists will age and at some point you're going to realise that listening to lean with it, roc with it at 35-45 isn't as cool as it was when you were 14-25. If you trully love the sound and what hip-hop is you will be attracted to the music of KRS-One or Jurassic 5 because there messages last over time. That just means that us OKPs and all the postive artists may lose all of the sprints but eventually win the marathon.

No sig necessary