Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=40786&mesg_id=40803
40803, RE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email
Posted by theblacklightDC, Wed Oct-11-06 04:16 PM
The fact that we even suggest the notion that Jazz has died, tells me how f'ed up our perception of music has become. Music can't die. I thought that was common knowledge. It seems as though our collective view of hip-hop has been stripped of its periphery. All we see now is soundscan reports, radio one spins, and BET/MTV/VH1 plays. As if success through these media, and these media alone, decide what is good music, what is hip-hop, and what is not. I think this is our mistake. And it hurts that someone I respect as much as Skillz would even buy into this "Hip-hop is dead" bullshit. Skillz has represented pure hip-hop in its complete non-commercial essence since he came out. I can run up in mad corporate sponsored concerts and ask 'Who is Mad Skillz?' and no one will know of whom I speak. Ask any emcee worth his mic, though? Or any producer that's been in the game? I bet they know him. THAT's hip-hop. And that's all it has to be. Skillz never has to sell another record. His legacy is solidified. But even HE has been brought to question hip-hop, thus questioning himself (and me! f-you for that, too, god! I know you know better. Hopefully, you're just trying to sell a few extra joints my dude!) Point is, the fact that we have rap stars now, has nothing to do with hip-hip or music. Rap stars are products of marketing schemes. Puffy can make Young Joc a "star". That's what he does. But as we all witnessed at the award show, he can never teach Joc to emcee. All Young Joc will ever be is a rap star. Don;t get it twisted! It is mad honorable and impressive to come from nothing and end up a millionaire and be all on TV and shit. Just don't confuse any of that shit with hip-hop. Remember this: Under no circumstances has anyone ever heard the best in pure hip-hop through a CD or video. Pure hip-hop is a live, real-time activity. A recording of this activity is just that, a recording. Recordings are made for those who either enjoy marveling at something they cannot do, or to learn it. Also remember that our people have NEVER supported the music industry, and that the deal many artists signed were absolutely crafted by wicked people who didn't care about the artists, the culture itself, or the people who follow. So if there are only 100 ill rappers and all 100 sign with Suge Knight and Puffy (or Jimmy or Lyor or Clive), the outcome is GOING TO BE FUCKED UP! And this is basically what happened. Only the 100 emcess snowballed into 100000 rappers and ALL of them ni&&as signed! And those who didn't sign would really really like to. Of course, thats more of a socio-economic issue, too, but you feel me.

Hip-hop (or the most recent manifestation of African culture--as I like to call it--as jazz, and rock-n-roll both were before hip-hop) can never actually die. The hype and wonder that surrounds people who live the culture can subdue, though. I look at it as a situation where the novelty is simply wearing off. I liken it to the dude who used to be the first one on my block with the latest Jordan's every time Jordan's came out. He was the shit through like the VII's! But by the time the XII's came out, everyone was rocking new Jordan's the very day they came out. In return, that dude wasn't the shit no more. It doesn't mean Nike and Jordan Brand began to make an inferior shoe. It only means that over time things we become too familiar with may depreciate. Or the perception is that they depreciate. I mean, ATCQ never has to make another record but they still can sellout venues all over the world. Midnight Marauders came out in 1993, god! I'd bet everything I own (which amounts to about $638.00) that no one will be paying to see Dem Franchise Boyz perform ANYTHING in 2018, 13 years after their magnum opus, "oh, i think they like me" (or whatever that bullshit is, technically named).

But nah, hip-hop ain't dead. It ain't dying, either. As a matter of fact, hip-hop ain't even sick. It's just backed up, a little with all the garbage we've been feeding it. Yeah thats it! Hip-hop needs to take a shit!