Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=40786&mesg_id=40797
40797, RE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email
Posted by scrapplequeen, Tue Oct-10-06 09:36 AM
>I can't really say I agree OR disagree. What exactly does it
>mean for the community to "reclaim" hip-hop? There are already
>tons of people out there making what most would consider
>"real" hip-hop (although I hate that term) -- so it can't just
>be more people making music.

No, I don't think the point was to just make more music (although, I think it is important to support the artists who are making quality music). The point that Fabel was making was to make the 4 elements cohesive again, and to bring the culture back to more of a grassroots community level. For example, Rock Steady Crew has their annual Anniversary in NYC. Or the B-Boy BBQ in Philly. Neither of these examples are corporate run- they are put on by people in the community to benefit the community. They include dancers, graff artists, MC's and DJ's. They are run in public parks. I think it's important to support these types of events.

If mainstream Hip Hop will be run on the corporate level, then I think we need a little more balance on the community level. Hip Hop is a viable, truly American expression (like jazz)- those of us in the community should be a bit more responsible for keeping it from just becoming a disposable, pop culture.

I don't think that *all* of the corporate sponored stuff is terrible, but when the money to put together this type of stuff (including the music) is coming out of some big shot's pocket, usually the original creative idea is watered down, or lost all together.

>Is it boycotting non-"real" artists? Is it boycotting
>non-"real" stations? Boycotting labels owned by
>non-urban/black business interests?

I think it just comes down to being responsible with your money. My personal philosophy is to put my hard-earned money toward artists that I think are worth it. Hell, Prince is mainstream, but I sure as hell will shell out the money for his music, because I think it's quality. On the other hand, there is PLENTY of bad music that I won't buy, mainstream or "underground".

>
>Pairing rapping again with dancing, DJing, and graff?

I'd personally love to see more of that! More b-boys and b-girls in videos that aren't replaced by strippers!
Oh yeah, this article is a synopsis of what I'm trying to get at:
http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/features/article364028.ece