Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: sorry, but how wack (and subtly offensive) was J.Davey @ RCMH?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=40672&mesg_id=40774
40774, RE: sorry, but how wack (and subtly offensive) was J.Davey @ RCMH?
Posted by artkitext, Mon Jun-19-06 08:57 AM
Late Pass:

I'm glad this shit was resolved but, its gotta be said for artist, music, etc. in general

1)I dunno...you can't assume the relevance of what someone is suggesting in their songs, simply because it isn't apparent to you as an audience member. You assuming the headdress has no relevance, is just as bad if she were assuming certain ethnic stereotypes...just sayin'.

2) They gotta song called "Cowboys & Indians"...I'd advise you to give it a good listen. Namely, if you were at their Temple Bar show in L.A. last New Years, you'd note the singers political statement about xenophobia, the cultural war painting of "other ethnics" in modern day warfare, and extreme conservativism creeping into our society - and then draw the connection between Andrew Jackson and the whole "Cowboys & Indians" concept that people *still* grow up with on an innocent level as kids. Like I said, its not completely obvious and its not like they're going to break into a political statement clarifying, like they did at that show all the time...good thing about music like this is, you're expected to think for yourself. Because if they had started soapboxing on stage then the same cats that don't like the headress would prolly say they're too preachy - can't win with some folx.

Does, that make her a card carrying member of the Cherokee Nation? No - but I think it deserves a little more credit than that.