Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectExhibit A on What's Wrong With Modern Day Music
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=40672&mesg_id=40761
40761, Exhibit A on What's Wrong With Modern Day Music
Posted by Queal Jay, Wed May-24-06 10:47 AM
First off, I'm glad that The Roots collective has the balls to put J. Davey on and give them exposure that they would otherwise not get.

I can understand if you didn't dig the music, but it was executed flawlessly. Jack has a killer voice and even though she was singing intensly and with a loud tone there were no flat notes and there was no distortion in her singing voice. That was impressive off the top. Secondly, the band was rocking that shit. Sure it was on some Berlin meets Nona Hendrix vibe (I hadn't heard any of their shit before the show) but again, it was performed well and was high energy.

But to shit on her for her style and to say she was offensive and then to tie it into some L.A. hate is just fuckin stupid. Obviously, you're not old to remember LaBelle or Parliament/Funkadelic and the gear they used to rock...or even 80's icons like Berlin, Missing Persons, Grace Jones or Nona Hendryx on the solo tip. Wifey said to me while she was on, "they just ain't ready for this shit". But got damn it was 10 minutes...as much great shit that happened on that stage you're seriously reaching to make a hate post on an act you didn't like and you assumed was offensive without all the facts. Just say you didn't like the music, take a bathroom break like many people did and keep it moving.