Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectMY PROBLEM WITH "THINGS FALL APART"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=40603&mesg_id=40603
40603, MY PROBLEM WITH "THINGS FALL APART"
Posted by jeanlouis61, Sat Oct-21-06 08:56 AM
Yeah, I know. "here, look at me!" But I really want to understand why countless people think that this is the best album from the roots.

Now, I was dazzled, stupified, and mystified by "You got Me" when it came out like everyone else, and I love "Love Movement.", but after that there were hits and misses. Dont get me wrong, Its a very creative album, its very listenable. Its just that at certain points I just felt that it was.......(pauses, considering onslaught), uneven.

I loved Thought and believed that he just murdered the beats, the mic and whatever else was standing in the vicinity. Malik B, the same. 100% dundee was awesome, so was the intros, a slew of others including "Take Heed"(loved the Schooly D sample).

But the uneveness showed with Dice Raw, and him being featured on the album at all. To me, he still was that 15 yr old who ripped the freestyle seesion from "The Lesson", and the one who carried his own but wasnt too Noticeable on Illadelph. He got too much time on the mic on TFA, and it did not mesh. the beautiful word play on "DOnt see us" was messed up by him and his avg rhymes. He was ok on Adreniline, but fell short on "Nuthin New." Another thing with the album, which was changed on later albums was song structure. The Roots were subtle, and touched on different topics on previous efforts, but this album was battle rap, battle rap, girl joint, battle rap, battle rap battle rap, battle rap.

The soundscape was awesome, and I will always be happy about the Grammy and remembering how excited Thought and 'em were onstage. I wish youtube had video of their acceptance speech.

I am just trying to understanding everyone else's POV, and I'm open to whatever opinions.