Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: You Make The Call [Clock with No Hands] Wait 1 MORE!!?!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=40217&mesg_id=40440
40440, RE: You Make The Call [Clock with No Hands] Wait 1 MORE!!?!
Posted by spokensound, Thu Oct-05-06 09:01 PM
Okay players I don't normally post matter of fact I just got an account like 3 minutes ago but here it goes.....

Clock With No Hands is a strong single from a biz standpoint. It has a strong message as well. I grappled with "Long Time" because it also is a strong single and everybody's verse is hot on that song. But creatively I had more visions with "Clock With No Hands." The video doubles as a tribute video for Dilla and Mpozi.

WARNING THIS IS VERY DETAILED!!!!! So here it goes....

It starts with Black Thought sitting on the staircase he describes in the 1st verse. It takes place between jam sessions He also mentions fighting tears looking through old photos in this verse. From there he is looking through a photo album that has hip-hop themed stickers on it. Roots stickers, Slum Village stickers, other OKP artists, and artist that influenced the Roots over the years. When he opens up the photo album there are pictures taken by Mpozi Tolbert that describe who he was as a photographer and the moments he shared with The Roots and Hip-hop in general. These pictures become a slide show during the first verse. During the hook he walks to a window and that leads to the 2nd verse.

During the second verse the slide show turns into city shots by Mpozi Tolbert of Philly if possible or any hood that can visually describe what Thought is speaking on in this verse.

The hook takes Thought back to rest of the band as they continue to rehearse "Clock With No Hands" through the end of the 3rd verse. The setting is in a loft rustic in nature(I like that line LOL). Just the essentials are there, the artists, instruments, turntables and speakers. The only thing visible on the walls are a couple a clocks with no hands and one open window. Right when Black Thought says "...my thoughts free as a bird," 2 doves land on the window representing J Dilla and Mpozi. Right then the music transitions into Kamaal playing the "Dillatastic Vol Won(derful)" as the video fades to a screen with RIP Dilla and Mpozi.

I thank you if you read this far. I put this song on repeat during my journey home in D.C. trafic and it came to me. I love the song to death and its powerful when you pay attention to what he saying.