Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectPlease go with "Baby"...throw them a curveball...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=40217&mesg_id=40294
40294, Please go with "Baby"...throw them a curveball...
Posted by djrav, Thu Sep-21-06 12:02 PM
I petition heavily for "Baby" (not that I'd be mad at "Longtime" though) because, really, the timing is too good for a song like this!

First of all, the media seems deadbent against letting the Roots just be a "hip hop" group, as they have relegated them to psuedo-rap, experimental/conscious (whatever you want to call it) band. Coming with "Longtime" would be dope, but the media will just peg that as another hip hop video...

But go with "Baby", that's something different! Black Thought sounds so somber on the track, so inspired...yeah it won't get much "club" play, but its so left-field for hip hop, that it just might spark something...there is so much feeling in this track.

I don't have a treatment in mind, but I do say this: film it in NEW ORLEANS!

Think about it, first of all, considering how this album was made/inspired, it would be a great tribute to the people of the city. I mean, everyone knows the Roots are from Philly (Thought mentions it in just about every song), so another video filmed there is what people might expect. But film it in New Orleans, get people from the city to be a part of the video. No need for a complex storyline even, just shots of the city...shots of the people...have the Roots playing in a beatup, damaged club in New Orleans with people from New Orleans in the club...maybe with a few characters acting out parts of the song in the club. Cut back and forth to shots of the damaged city, the unfixed homes, the poor. Show the city. Show the culture of the people. Show the lack of progress. Maybe even throw a cameo or 2 in there of New Orleans natives (Lil Wayne?!)

Its just past the 1 year anniversary of Katrina, Mos just got more attention for the victims via his arrest, Spike just did a documentary on the people suffering...the timing is just perfect. Not only will it show another side of the Roots, but it might spark something for the people of New Orleans...get some more attention on their suffering.

And you could probably do this on a small budget. I mean, how much would it cost to get people from the city out in front of their beaten up homes...playing in a beaten up club?

I think that the Roots will forever be pigeonholed, (which is ironic considering their range!) so why not throw a curveball, go with something really different...don't do the typical hip hop single and typical hip hop video.

To me, "Baby" is EXACTLY what the hip hop world is missing...its the type of songs that made me fall in love with hip hop 20 or so odd years ago.