Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: WHAT DO YA'LL THINK OF THE COMMON GAP AD???
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=40040&mesg_id=40120
40120, RE: WHAT DO YA'LL THINK OF THE COMMON GAP AD???
Posted by the root, Wed Dec-13-06 10:46 PM
"If revolution had a movie I'd be theme music"
err
"If the Gap had a commercial I'd be theme music"

it's not that i'm offended about doing a Gap commercial, I'm offended about COMMON doing a Gap commercial. I love Jay-Z, and if Jay-Z does it, all good, at least he's being consistent. The point is that the art is supposed to mean something, and reflect your views. True artists take their message seriously. So if Common preaches a message and gets us amped up about conscious issues, don't fucking sell out. If you're about being conscious, be conscious. If you're about making money, make money.

Principles are cool though, since when is it whack to critique big business/globalization?

Maybe I'd change if I had the opportunity, but I'd like to think that if I had enough to live comfortably (as I'm sure he does), I wouldn't put my name behind a company like the Gap.

Emotionally, seeing the same guy who said "monkeys dance around for MTV spots" do a GAP ad is mad whack. Maybe he can develop a hot lyrical argument for his movement in the game on his next album.