Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: i like it
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=40040&mesg_id=40075
40075, RE: i like it
Posted by gumz, Tue Nov-21-06 09:56 PM
why's everybody still frontin' like common is this unknown artist...he's pretty damn famous now. i dont think people could miss him in that white ass suit at last year's grammy's. anyway, ill just repeat what i said on the previous post about this, the flow was tight and i like the beat. sounds like he's doing alot of work with will.

anyway, i just thought it was corny how he had to keep saying gap in the rhyme, ruined it for me. it was ok the first time when he just slipped it in, still kinda wack but, the whole love peace and gap pretty much disgusted me. i dont care what company he's doin ads for, its not like com wouldnt actually wear some of that stuff anyway (maybe not electric circus com but g.o.o.d. music com looks like a gap/banana republic ad anyway, for better or for worse, you be the judge).

anyway, plenty of artists have done ads like this, doin a guitar solo, spittin a freestyle, singing some harmonic whateverness and not had to throw in the product name. i just prefer having the illusion that the rhyme wasn't written specifically for this. if somebody came to me and said to write a rhyme about the gap i wouldnt be able to do it, but if someone told me to spit a hot 16 on camera i'd be down. my rhyme would still be my rhyme, it would just happen to be on that commercial, feel me? i never minded artists doin ads and stuff but to me it gets corny when they alter their art for the ad or company in question. take the check, do your thing, but be you while doing it. what da hell does the gap have to do with peace and love? can i really take com serious now anytime he talks about peace and love (which is all the time) or should i just assume he's eluding to a new sale at the gap?

p.s: how is this any better than that nonsense McD's tried to pull?