Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: damn...monie is a radio gangsta too?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=39971&mesg_id=39995
39995, RE: damn...monie is a radio gangsta too?
Posted by latif888, Fri Dec-08-06 05:44 PM
if don't feel right was THE single then it was poor single selection imho. I think there are a couple singles on there, maybe not to the level that would push them to platinum but there are definitely catchier tracks on that record. Here I come, Long Time, and Baby come to mind.

don't feel right felt a bit recycled...2 chord minor jam. been there done that.

the 3-in-1 video was interesting but whoever thought that would promote the record needs to get their head out of the clouds.

the modern audience has a.d.d. and needs to be spoonfed simpler fare. they need something basic and memorable, even if the message is meant to be a profound one.

that doesn't mean it has to be singsongy nursery rhyme crap like young joc but i think jay had a point when he said he was already successful at marketing himself before he went to def jam. You have to consider the psychology of the people you are trying to reach, not just your own high ideas.

i don't know if they are, but if the roots are looking for that kind of commercial success they are going to have to find ways to marry artsiness and social messages with good marketing...

like it or not but charisma and image have so much to do with getting people to listen.

Even the most value-driven social revolutionaries used "hooks" so to speak to get their message out. Read MLK, Gandhi, or Che's speeches....maybe a weird reference considering this is music but the same principle applies.