Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectno it doesnt compare to their past cause its so far ahead
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=39761&mesg_id=39770
39770, no it doesnt compare to their past cause its so far ahead
Posted by MuZiK Macks, Sat Dec-16-06 02:13 AM
im telling you, and i dont mean to knock you, but a dislike for that album is ignorance in music. That album sounds like what Hip Hop should sound like in 2006 instead of this cookie cut formula that we have played out for 10 years. they made hip hop that no one can recreate, while most these cats are still just trying to exploit the same old formula (and yes I love this formular to death, but hip hop has not musically budged for 10 whole years!)

I do understand tho why people wouldnt like this record, but i DO think its a lack of understanding of the record rather than it being musically/artistically inferior to anything else they have done. I do understand what you mean on the Black Though tip cause his voice and flow doesnt stand out as much anymore, but his lyrics are still hard, its just that the flow that most of roots fans love and miss was really more of an interpretation of a Das EFX flow (lol), rather than thought's own, and now he has truly grown into his own interms of his style as an MC. its one that in my opinion requires you to pay attention rather than one that makes you pay attention, much like their music. They arent catering to the lowest common denominator like many artists are (not saying they ever were, but they definitely stepped up the expectation of their fans musical appriciation or knowlege on this one, which is why many cats dont understand it).

all im saying, the second game theory grows on you, it will be your favorite album of their catelog. It blows my mind everytime i listen to it