Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: actually...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=39456&mesg_id=39467
39467, RE: actually...
Posted by Papa OO Mow Mow, Fri Nov-10-06 04:04 PM
I signed up for this board today just to come on and rave about that Masters of War last night. Insane. Beautiful. Deadly. That's what a cover song should be, you take a song and make it your own.

And there is no question that was the song of the night. MMW's take on Buckets of Rain was pretty, and Ryan Adam's Isis>Love Sick>Isis was a rocker and had the perfect Dylan Fuck You attitude. But that Masters of War was something else entirely...

I've seen hundreds of shows, and that might be the finest single cover I've ever seen live. Incredibly creative arrangement, from the Star Spangled Banner intro, to the Taps and Drop the Bomb teases, and then once Machine Gun kicked in, I think I was levitating about a foot out of my seat.

(I had to play Band of Gypsies on my ride home after that, and I forget how powerful that album is. Much praise, Buddy Miles and Billy Cox.)

?, I love Roots original music, but if you guys ever wanted to do an album of classic rock covers, I'm ready to give you my credit card for a pre-order right now. Hell, I'll pay for studio time.

(Speaking of artists on the bill last night, I always thought you guys could do an amazing, huge cover of Rock and Roll Nigger by Patti Smith.)

Anyway, not sure what the Roots policy is on live music trading, but I would kill my brother to have a copy of that Masters of War from last night. Mp3, 8 track, reel to reel, I just need to hear that again. Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

Seriously ?, you should just release that on itunes tomorrow, give all the profits to an anti-war charity or last night's recipeints Music for Youth. (They did Pass the Dutchie, right?)

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see you play a full band set in NYC soon!