Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectactually...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=39456&mesg_id=39459
39459, actually...
Posted by qoolquest, Fri Nov-10-06 11:09 AM
that was covered by cat power.
pretty awesome vesion i might add.
we did "masters of war".

i can't really describe the feeling....maybe it was lowered expectations or a lil doubt creeping in on some "mmmm wonder what a "rap group" is doing at a dylan tribute.

but i really feel like last night was a tipping point for us (we "white striped it" with just me and kirk and damon on the tuba from the jeff bradshaw brass band)

dare i say it was like motown 25. im not certain what the results will be but shit is not going to be the same on that set again.

we came out in all army fatigues.

and did a mars volta esque/zappa version of this protest song (lyrics are soooooo relevant for what goes on today)---incorporating in the gap band's "you dropped a BOMB on me" and hendrix's "MACHINE GUN" for added spice.

most of the renditions of the night were incredible in its silence. i wanted to go electric to sorta be the sore thumb in the acoustic at atmosphere sorta like newport 63 (ha ha).

for roots fans just imagine if there was a way to show a Riqless highlight reel of a roots performance to an older rock fan. take my drum solo, take kirk's guitar solo, add theatrics and musicianship tricks, add some cover songs, add dynamics (we went from "s----i---l--e--n---ce....to ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!! on this roller coaster version of this song)

i know for a fact that we won the respect of our peers that night (cyndi lauper just might be my new best friend---she was more hip to us than most vets....she LOVES game theory ("although the second half makes me kinda sad"----lol!), jill souble was another longtime fan----the reason im so amazed of these facts is because we are so out of the socializing loop (unless we do shows with other acts) i have no clue that mofos even know if we are alive or not. but the cats from the Allman brothers were cool as shit, Chan from Cat Power and i traded Memphis musician notes, joan osbourne (i think she was a lil miffed at me for this is the second album i said "no" to---time was of the essence and i couldn't commit) Roseanne Cash called me a lik heartbreaker (lol) and once again Sandra Bernhart can never remember the story of when we first met in 1996 (she did the scared white lady in an elevator bit at some hotel we happened to be staying in that had 80 loooooooooooong floors.---when her assistant ---who got on a few floors below---validated me then it was "oh he's safe". but the visual of a dark ass hotel hallway and then seeing this sinister monster inside changed her whole body language (face to floor, no eye contact. etc---i mean it was effed up but i "guess" i understood) even breaking the ice with a "king of comedy" compliment couldn't break the ice....i was like "damn....how many rapists can quote classic scorcese filler?

anywho....

after the performance we got the only standing ovation of the night. and ....man i cant describe it. all in the streets people waiting for cabs and walking to the parking lot all had the same story "my kids are SO jealous you performing and they are not here to see it!"---i mean like this was rippling throughout the whole audience. we made a mark last night. i can really feel that something is gonna result of this.