Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectJust watched COMMON in SMOKIN' ACES and...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=39411
39411, Just watched COMMON in SMOKIN' ACES and...
Posted by SonnyRocwell, Mon Dec-11-06 10:46 PM
...our boy held his own with a serious A-List cast! DAMN! I think this might be the beginning of a new career for our boy Rasheed. And DAMN that joint playing at the end credits!??! I need that track Comm.

...and for the record, it wasn't no bootleg. It was an official pre-screening....just in case y'all were wondering.
39412, how was alicia?
Posted by justin_scott, Mon Dec-11-06 11:41 PM
i know she had a role in there too.
39413, Alicia played a safe role...
Posted by SonnyRocwell, Tue Dec-12-06 12:09 AM
It was perfect for her because her character played it straight....not too far over-the-top and not too reserved. She stream-lined her way through the story and it didn't demanded TOO much from her as an actress....just enough. I was impressed.
39414, RE: I didn't mean to use the microscope but her toes are curled..
Posted by ppg_2311, Thu Dec-14-06 07:42 PM
with Common holding her like he wants to do something guuuuud to her ! Bastard !
39415, RE: Just watched COMMON in SMOKIN' ACES and...
Posted by Newfluer, Tue Dec-12-06 01:17 AM
Yeah I have to see this one when does it come out or am I late?
39416, Nah you haven't missed it...
Posted by SonnyRocwell, Tue Dec-12-06 06:50 AM
...it hits theatres early '07.
39417, RE: Nah you haven't missed it...
Posted by Newfluer, Wed Dec-13-06 09:13 PM
Thanks Sonny .... I get so confussed on these messege boards
39418, RE: Nah you haven't missed it...
Posted by Newfluer, Wed Dec-13-06 09:22 PM
I went to your website but I couldn't hear your music. :)
I'll try again!
39419, RE: Nah you haven't missed it...
Posted by Newfluer, Wed Dec-13-06 09:43 PM
I got a chance to listen to your music. I like it, all of them sounds good but I like radio radio and Detroit Legendary the best.
39420, A list, whatever. was it any GOOD? movies blow lately honestly
Posted by sweeneykovar, Tue Dec-12-06 03:21 AM
39421, Its ACTUALLY GOOD....
Posted by SonnyRocwell, Tue Dec-12-06 06:54 AM
...and worth watching.
39422, hmmm, hopefully. i cant lie, hollywood movies suck more and
Posted by sweeneykovar, Tue Dec-12-06 07:54 AM
more as i get older and see more through their veil of cheesiness, regurgitated 1 dimensional characters, stagnant storylines, badly written dialogue, crappy music, uncreative themes and bad camera work. im not one of those dudes that goes to the movies just to be entertained by some dumbass story, if shit isnt well put together and with some good creative thought behind it, its bullshit
39423, We call it The Curse of The Filmmaker...
Posted by SonnyRocwell, Tue Dec-12-06 06:44 PM
...I went thru 4 yrs of film school so I recognize the differences in the way I watched movies 10 years ago and how I observe films now. I've learned to trust my Suspension Of Disbelief and take some films for what they are. I agree that there's a lot of bullshit being made, but there are just as many screen gems. You just won't see them on the top 10 of Weekend Box Office numbers.

Smokin Aces, however, was an enjoyable experience.

Now I need to know what that Common joint was at the end credits. Best I've heard all year.
39424, duke, i aint even a filmmaker, i just know my shit.
Posted by sweeneykovar, Wed Dec-13-06 05:13 AM
and i wholeheartedly disagree that there are just as many gems as bullshit out there. the bullshit outnumbers the good by a huge margin. especially american cinema.
39425, A list, whatever. was it any GOOD? movies blow lately honestly
Posted by sweeneykovar, Tue Dec-12-06 03:21 AM
39426, RE: Just watched COMMON in SMOKIN' ACES and...
Posted by TheCritikalOne, Tue Dec-12-06 10:55 PM
the movie looks like garbage.
39427, lol
Posted by sweeneykovar, Wed Dec-13-06 05:14 AM
thats what i think, i just didnt want to come off as a pessimist. but you never know till you watch, thats what i try to say
39428, RE: lol
Posted by TheCritikalOne, Wed Dec-13-06 03:47 PM
lol yeah...i mean ill prolly see it just for kicks...i saw the previw and it looked so bad. just looks like a buncha people shootin the shit outta everything.
39429, LOL
Posted by sweeneykovar, Wed Dec-13-06 04:07 PM
a buncha fools shooting shit. wouldnt put it past any movie.
39430, Snatch & Reservoir Dogs ??
Posted by AreSuu, Thu Dec-14-06 06:35 PM
I'm excited to see this movie. It looked like a cross between these two movies to me.

Good movies:
Babel
Little Miss Sunshine
Volver
39431, RE: Snatch & Reservoir Dogs ??
Posted by TheCritikalOne, Thu Dec-14-06 10:25 PM
DUDE, i havent evn seen this and i know it aint got shit on resevoir dogs.
39432, Too many friggin characters
Posted by BKyle, Wed Dec-13-06 04:02 AM
It's a whooole lotta names and people to keep up with, but it's surely do-able.

We talked about that as a group at dinner afterwards too. I gave it a 7.5 That's a respectable un-biased rating even after working w/ Rashid in preparation for this role in the movie.

You're right. I think he did phenomenally well. His scenes are actually pretty crucial and pivital to the movie as a whole. I think others will give it an 8 to an 8.5 after watching it. It's high-paced, great action, engaging acting, and great drama. WORTH WATCHING in the theaters! Period.

B.Kyle
39433, and there you have it
Posted by scotty wotty, Thu Dec-14-06 11:39 AM
:)
39434, If you saw it, how about a review of the flick?
Posted by sithlord, Thu Dec-14-06 11:34 PM
Something? Anything?
39435, What do you wanna know?
Posted by SonnyRocwell, Sat Dec-16-06 12:11 PM
I wouldn't wanna say too much and spoil it for those who'll see it when it comes out.
39436, RE: Just watched COMMON in SMOKIN' ACES and...
Posted by CyMarshall Law, Fri Dec-15-06 12:14 AM
he comes across so natural on the mic i had a feeling behind the camera he would be natural too.....
Your Life Follows Your Thoughts
www.myspace.com/cymarshalllaw
39437, music and movies are VERY different monsters
Posted by sweeneykovar, Fri Dec-15-06 10:15 AM
39438, This is true, but...
Posted by SonnyRocwell, Sat Dec-16-06 12:09 PM
...sometimes they go hand in hand. Like BKyle said before, Common was in some of the film's most pivotal scenes and he came off really strong.
39439, i disagree entirely, and a long list of musicians who thought they could
Posted by sweeneykovar, Sat Dec-16-06 02:27 PM
act and just ended up basically taking a shit on film proves my point. not to say that Comm isnt a good actor, i havent seen anything to say wether he is or isnt, but how someone is on record has infinitesimally little to do with how they will perform under a director, a set, scripted lines and co stars.
39440, I ain't sayin ALL musicians....
Posted by SonnyRocwell, Sat Dec-16-06 07:47 PM
...would make good actors. You're right. There are a lot of em that have stunk up entire films, but I have seen Common act and I do believe that he is a good actor. His ability to emote on mic or on stage, his presence on camera, translated well into Smokin Aces. In this case, I think it helped him.
39441, I saw it at a screening, too
Posted by Eric B Is Prez, Sat Dec-16-06 06:23 PM
It was entertaining. Gory as hell, tho. One dude falls over and sits on a chinsaw.

Com and Alicia didn't have very demanding roles. They had to show either the intense, concerned face, or the cool, focused face. Com had slightly more to show in his long dialogue with Jeremy Piven, and he did well. The director didn't ask too much of them, which is prolly wise when dealing with a _______ turned actor.
39442, RE: I saw it at a screening, too
Posted by Princess_Tiffany, Tue Dec-19-06 01:09 AM
You sound like a hater.
39443, Anybody know what joint COMMON RECORDED....
Posted by SonnyRocwell, Mon Dec-25-06 12:03 PM
...for the Smokin Aces soundtrack?
39444, RE: Just watched COMMON in SMOKIN' ACES and...
Posted by brooklyn zone, Mon Dec-25-06 08:37 PM
i cant wait to see this movie