Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectFor the Roots
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=39059&mesg_id=39128
39128, For the Roots
Posted by monopoli, Tue Dec-12-06 02:40 PM
I write in layers. sorry

First of all, I think what you (Ahmir) are doing is brilliant. I am referring to myspace blogs and the long running relationship you are building with your fanbase on okayplayer.com and its boards. Not only did you make a place available for the people, you ARE one of those people whom you built the site for. Its a great way of listening to the people that listen to you. You can listen to critics all day, (Mojo Mag) but they're, in a sense, being forced to listen to your album and therefore tell the consumer what THEY think about it. Through okayplayer, you are bypassing the middle man (critic) and going straight to the consumer. So, kudos on listening to the people that are listening to you.

Great segway: There are people listening to you as musicians/artists (I am one of 'em). How did they start listening to the Roots? Well, the Roots recorded an album they way they wanted it to be recorded and released it to the public. Portions of the public listened and they are now your fanbase. They didn't talk to/write Tariq, Hub, ?uest, or Kamal, and say, "I heard you guys are musicians/artists. This is the type of record you need to record." The Roots (and whoever has lended a hand) created their own art since the days of Organix. So why should the Roots ask their fanbase what they need to do be bigger? The Roots is a group of musicians. They are artists. They paint their own canvas.

Insofar as a need to be a bigger group (record sales, intl ticket sales, etc.), I think you need to think outside of the box. You can be pissed about record sales and about the lack of promotion from Def Jam or Geffen or whoever. Or you can do something about it. Obviously, record sales have been dropping every year due to filesharing. Do you think thats going to end? No. I hate to say it....actually...no, I don't. Artists have been complaining about how record labels are raping them for too long. So considering there is a new means of presenting your music, why not find some compromise with that new means that allows you to cut out the record label altogether? Ahmir says, "Yeah genius. How are we supposed to make the record? With what funds? How are we supposed to market it?"

Next layer: I've been doing street promotion since the age of 15. Started my own street marketing team at 17/18. Became co-owner of a music production company at 19. I currently own a company that provides regional marketing and national event promotion and I'm 24 yrs old. I remember going to music business symposiums since I was 16 years of age. One of the central points of the symposiums was how can New Orleans' artists (since I'm born and raised New Orleanian)continue making art while making money to survive? You see, New Orleans has always been known for having AMAZING MUSIC AND MUSICIANS. But they never took the time to learn the business. The Roots are a part of something called the MUSIC BUSINESS. The Roots are the only live hiphop group/band making real hip-hop music, w/o compromising their integrity. They are musicians/artists. Now, In no way am I trying to say that you, Ahmir, nor anyone else in the group are not aware of the biz. I know you are. But, what I'd like to see you do is think outside the box. Be a businessman. Put on your fucking Donald Trump thinking cap and spew some ill ass ideas out. By that I mean DIVERSIFY.

Next layer: "Diversify? I, we, are doing that." I'm sure you are, but do it more. It takes money to make money, right? If studio time is costing you a lot, work directly from your own studio and facilitate it so that other artists/bands/producers record there. THATS A DIFFERENT STREAM OF REVENUE. You've become one of the biggest names in not only hip-hop, but in the music industry. Market yourself. Yeah, the Roots already did a Coca-Cola commercial. Why not do more commercials/ads for brands they feel comfortable endorsing, w/o compromising their integrity? THATS A DIFFERENT STREAM OF REVENUE. I purchase from the Okayplayer store every now and then b/c I like the stuff you've got. I've seen the Roots perform damn near 15 times. Maybe I'm blind, but I can't recall seeing a merch table in a while. Seen one before but not recently. Again, maybe I'm blind, but whatever. Anyway. As you, Sir ?uest, mentioned, it takes money to run that clothing initiative, but how much more would you make if you put a strong marketing campaign behind it? Isn't Roots clothing self promotion in itself? What if you set up some die hard Roots fan to run your merch table in their respective city whenever you perform? IF you're at festivals, would it cost you an arm and a leg to get a booth? A booth at a festival gets mad impressions. I ran the URB Mag booth at the Voodoo Music Fest and got a lot of love. Why don't the Roots do that? Is their any band buying out a booth at festivals? Be a revolutionary. Start a trend. DIFFERENT STREAM OF REVENUE.

Next, and hopefully the last layer: You're a trendsetter. You set the trends, Ahmir. Step outside the box. There is a trend of record sales continuing to drop. Do you invest in a company thats showing obvious signs of failure? No. So why do you keep investing in the record industry? Look at new ways to make filesharing a form of revenue. Dr. Goolsby, of Loyola University New Orleans, once told me, "give away the steak, but sell the sizzle." Thats what you need to do. Keep doing music for yourself. There's nothing wrong with working with outside producers, but don't think that just b/c you put Rick Rubin on the credits will all sorts of people start listening, nor will albums start selling more, nor will Def Jam give you more $$$$$$$.

I've been a fan of the Roots for long time and they've never dissapointed me on an album. I don't have expectations for their albums because its their art. I don't judge their music b/c I'm just happy I'm getting music this good. I hope that I was of some help to you. this is what I do. Any more help, hit me up. email: gio@positive-nrg.com