Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjecttheoretically perhaps
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=39059&mesg_id=39099
39099, theoretically perhaps
Posted by krewcial, Mon Dec-11-06 03:07 PM
but producing a record/band is at least as much social skills as music knowledge/experience ...

so : even if you know all about
- mic positioning,
- the effects of doubletracking vocals,
- when to use which ribbon mics,
- how to (ab)use optical compressors,
- how to write string arrangements,
- when to use a plate reverb or rather a spring one,
- when to use a modified guitar amp for that other sound,
- why to use a Neve console instead of an SSL,
- the differences between and advantages of different consoles (Trident, Neve, Toft, SSL, ...) and high-end gear (Distressors, Avalon, Focusrite Red, Urei's, Manleys,), ...
- which engineer to use for what sound,
I still don't see you making it work on a people level.

But all of the above is based on personal experience which is far from positive, maybe your a different person in real life, or maybe it's just me.

but then still ... if your really serious about this, you need better arguments than just saying that you want them to record together (which is basically the main argument)... so your just gonna sit there, make sure everyone's on time and that's it ?

and I don't see how anyone could teach ?uestlove anything about creating a certain drum sound for example, so knowing when to guide/coach and when to shut up and let band members do what they do best, is quintessential.

on top of that, the choice for a certain producer by The Roots is a matter of life and death for them : it's not just the Roots' members careers on the line, but also family, friends, website staff ... I get the impression he underestimates the impact of a Roots album that's not doing what they hoped it would. This means that choosing a certain route/production/people to work with can have plenty of repercussions.

AND the most important thing : EVEN WITH THE WORLD'S GREATEST PRODUCER AND THE BEST SONGS EVER RECORDED YOUR RECORD WILL FLOP IF YOUR LABEL'S CEO BREAKS HIS PROMISES OR THE PROMO DEPT DOESN'T CARE !

You could have Quincy, Prince AND Don Costa producing your record and still go brick.

if I made The Roots an offer like this, I would at least think about my experience, provide an extensive portfolio/cv, some serious references, and offer to work for free for the first few days/weeks ...

Your proposition is way too vague at this moment.