Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: we considered rick too
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=39059&mesg_id=39097
39097, RE: we considered rick too
Posted by jbeez00, Sun Dec-10-06 04:46 PM
> you really need to figure out what endearing image a bunch of near 40s can pull off in this genre

Yall are not what hip hop is today. Piss on it baby, move on.

> if anything he'd probably RHCP us and turn us AC.
ABSOLutely NOTHING against post 91 Red Hot---i enjoy and love "scar tissue" and "californication" but all too often i hear die hard chili peppers fans (their okayplayers) bitching about how adult contemporary they are. even an idiot myself checks out freaky styley and says "wow, rubin turning them down a bit was the right move"--

This was my point - you're trying to satisfy "us". Who are we? Forget satisfying OKP, real music heads will accept the change for what you are - the Beatles of hip hop. RHCP have evolved, but we seem to agree it's still dope. Yall have reached Beatles longevity, you can stop now and be legends. To take it longer than that you're gonna have to get your Herbie Hancock on. I would be very surprised if Bowie or Miles Davis said they were ever worried about losing their "okayplayers".

As far as adult contemporary goes, no offence but you're pretty close. You guys drop joints during your live shows that bring me back - and I'm a grown ass man. Why not accept it for what it is? The Seed 2.0 and the live version incarnation are a damn good look for yall, and was mildly successful, no? Dont Say Nuthin' woulda been a good look for Luda, because him and that track are built for today's hip hop, not yall.

As far as image and hip hop, agreed it's necessary. After 15 years, there is nothing the Roots can do imagewise to satisfy today's hip hop fickle fans without looking a fool. Young Jeezy fans ain't trying to hear 10 minute long guitar solos. So switch the fanbase up.

As far as choosing a producer, that's another conversation. But definitely Rick Rubin is the best fit of the list you provided. Damn, I sound like I'm trying to convince my man he needs help, I don't want to come off like that - nuff respect to what you've accomplished. I got your back whatever it is you guys end up doing, but fuck trying to fit in with the kids though. Go ahead switch the style up, and if they hate then...ahhh man lol

"Unlock real hip hop, rock holds the key"